Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Should they have done it? Yes....

The play has now reached the end of its national tour. We want to know if you saw it and if so what was it like. Remember NOT to give the plot away. Also, News, views and updates

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Should they have done it? Yes....

Postby Graham_S nli » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:52 pm

I went as a birthday treat in April and to be honest enjoyed it so much that I went again in its final week.... The writing was excellent and the two guys entrusted with the poison chalice of playing Albert & Harold did justice to the parts without being too "dead ringerish".... I was particularily impressed by Jake Nightingale as Harold and when he asked upstairs "is that you Dad, Dad.... " it took me back to the 70's watching it for the first time...

The only quibbles I had was some I thought unnesscesary "bad language" that didn't really fit into Steptoe & Son I remember.... ( The National Trust woman using the F word at the start of the play and Albert mentioning that a comrade had his "bollocks" shot off five minutes before the armistice came into effect in 1918 as I felt the word "goolies" would have been sufficent and been truer to the TV series....

I'm glad they did it as the actors and writers did justice to a great TV series and also it had such perfect ending that my only wish is it is recorded for posterity and availalble to buy when it's completely finished it's theatre run....
Graham_S nli

Postby Archie » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:41 pm

Is it going on tour?
It would be Great if it came to Scotland, I have 2 theatres nearby - the Magnum in Irvine and Vikingar in Largs, they often show this type of production :)

Failing that will it be shown on BBC 3/4 I wonder :?:
Archie

Postby Graham_S nli » Mon May 29, 2006 10:51 am

I keep a looking around to see if any news is about on a tour...

The only thing I could find recently was an interview with John Antrobus on theatre.com that said the Comedy Theatre run would be followed by a National tour...

See below...

http://www.theatre.com/story/id/3001477

Hopefully something will be announced one way or another soon as it's nearly June....

Graham[/url]
Graham_S nli

Re: Should they have done it? Yes....

Postby Archie » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:46 pm

In Glasgow it was a bloke from the National Trust and there was no swearing, he also played the wartime and military policemen.

It would be superb if the play gets released on DVD :D

Jake NIghtingale and Harry Dickman are Stunning as Albert & Harold, If the beeb had any sense they would have Ray Galton & John Antrobus write a few - or even a one off episode of Steptoe & Son for BBC 2 starring these fine actor's.
I have no doubt that it would be a colossal hit and introduce a new generation of fan's to the series :P
Archie

Postby Graham_S nli » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:04 am

Archie,

Thanks for the review, interesting that the National Trust person changed sex... ( the lady in question in the London run also protrayed an American sounding "female conquest" of Harold's later in the play ) and the cut back on swear words ( did they replace the bo****ks with goolies? ).

I'm going to watch it again when it goes to Richmond so it will be interesting to see if the writers and director felt it needed a polishing up ( or perhaps the actress was unavailable? )....

Glad you enjoyed it as much as the other contributors able to watch it on this site...
Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby Archie » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:57 pm

No the b word was still used.
I would love to see it again I wish it was in Glasgow for another week :( .

From the moment the curtain opened and I saw the magnificent set I knew it was going to be good.

:idea: The play could be adapted for TV and split into 4 half hour part's.
Archie

Postby Archie » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:35 pm

Eh excuse me for asking - but what does "Cheap" : :roll: California car insurance have to do with the British 60's 70s comedy series ?.
Archie

Postby bob » Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:30 pm

Archie and other legitimate Steptoe fans.

I appologise for postings that have appeared on this site recently. There are always people who try to abuse things and spoil them for others.

I have been very busy lately and have not been keeping up with the site admin. ( I have a number of new reviews to post).

I have removed all the offending articles and will always do this.

Thank you for your patience.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:38 pm

bob wrote:Archie and other legitimate Steptoe fans.

I appologise for postings that have appeared on this site recently. There are always people who try to abuse things and spoil them for others.

I have been very busy lately and have not been keeping up with the site admin. ( I have a number of new reviews to post).

I have removed all the offending articles and will always do this.

Thank you for your patience.

Bob

It's difficult to figure out why they are taking the trouble to sign up then write this nonsense :?:
I used to be on a UK Motoring forum which was ruined by similar tactics.

I plan to write a review for 'Any Old Iron' .
Archie

Return to News & Reviews