Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

new steptoe scripts

The play has now reached the end of its national tour. We want to know if you saw it and if so what was it like. Remember NOT to give the plot away. Also, News, views and updates

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

new steptoe scripts

Postby harold » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:33 pm

i have heard somebody is writing a new script what do you think about it
harold

Postby Graham_S nli » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:47 pm

Harold,

first I've heard of it....

please do tell, what's the rumour you've read or heard...

Sometime back there was an idea muted for a female based version of the Steptoes (I believe a clingy mother/daughter relationship instead) starring Kathy Burke of Gimmie Gimme Gimmie fame....

I would like to see the stage play (MIODL) being turned into possibly a 4 part mini series by the BBC or a filmed performance available on DVD....
Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby Archie » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:06 pm

I heard a couple of year's ago that the BBC were planning a modern version using a van instead of the horse and cart etc (I think it was mentioned on the Steve Wright radio show).

They seem to have dropped the idea, maybe it's just as well, you can never beat the original !.
Archie

new steptoe scripts

Postby harold » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:09 pm

it is on the steptoe-and-son.com website
harold

Postby Graham_S nli » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:52 pm

Thanks for that Harold...

I read the "new" script written by Christopher Walkey that updates the Steptoes to today but to be honest it doesn't work for me....

The links below, whats your opinion?

New Steptoe Script One
Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby Archie » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:14 pm

I enjoyed the script, but I'm really in two mind's about a new series.

It might work if they could get Jake Nightingale and Harry Dickman to repeat their roles as Harold & Albert.

As Graham said a 4 part adaptation of 'Murder in Oil Drum Lane' would be superb. :)
Archie

new steptoe script

Postby harold » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:09 pm

i am like archie they could use the actors from murder in oil drum lane then again i feel nobody could replace wilfrid and harry
harold

Postby bob » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:27 pm

I’ve just managed to read the script via Graham’s link.

I must admit I wish I had the talent to put something together in such a fashion. There was nice use of introducing Big Brother at the start and using it along with the computer with the pay-off at the end.

In the end however I just didn’t believe it. Even if the business was still going today, age considerations aside, it is highly unlikely they would still have a horse and cart. A three wheeled Robin Reliant is more likely.

Some things are better left as they are. One of the reasons, I assume, why Alan Simpson did not become involved with the Oil Drum Lane project.

It’s easy to criticise, but for me they don’t add anything to the Steptoe legacy.
bob
Site Admin

Steptoe Modern Era Scripts

Postby ChrisWalkey » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:41 am

Hello,

I just thought it appropriate that I let all Steptoe and Son fans (Ofwhich I am one), that the new 'modern era' scripts that I submitted to Ron whom is webmaster and owner of the website www.Steptoe-and-son.com was purely for my love of the show. I simply love watching 'H' and Wilf and wanted to volunteery submit some scripts, without any thought they will be used in any other way except for anyone wishing to read them on his site and hopefully comment on them.
I do respect the fact that no-one could replace either actors or script writers of the show, indeed even the era in which they were filmed couldn't be replaced. I hope that I am not offending anyone by doing my scripts, I do though understand that they may get a cold shoulder from some followers cause they prefer the original shows full stop.
I have been a keen fan of the show for many years, spent £'s on countless DVD's and LP's and even have a large selection of 'H's songs he did including his performances with the Faraway Folk in the 1970's. So rest assured, I do respect the show and know they will never be beaten by any attempt to resurect them.

Chris Walkey.
Who do you think you are? Dick Turpin???
ChrisWalkey

Postby Archie » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:33 pm

Hello Chris; I enjoyed the scripts and hope you write some more :)
Archie

Postby bob » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:05 pm

Hi Chris

Welcome to the forum

I am sure nobody was offended by your new scripts. If anyrhing I am sure we all wish we could do the same.

Keep posting

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:31 pm

There was a Steptoe remake already made, shown from 1981 - 2003, it's called 'Only Fools and Horses'... the similarities are uncanny...

They should not try and bring it back, especially without Ray and Alan at the pen. Look at how unpopular the Paul Merton remakes of the Hancock episodes were (though personally I quite liked them :shock: ).

I would rather people say 'Isn't it a shame they didnt make any more Steptoes' than people say 'They made too many and it was crap...'. The final fools and horses (after they won the money) didn't work... let sleeping dogs lie is what I say. Let's enjoy what we have!!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Rian » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:18 am

yeah i agree they should of left in in 1996 with only fools and bringing it back for the 3 years was a mistake and wrecked it in my opinion, i think steptoe finished at the right time
Rian

Postby bob » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:55 pm

It's interesting that many people didn't see the Steptoe's reflected in Only Fools.

Not that OFAH isn't great comedy. I guess because it features three family members neither of which are father and son.

I do agree with Ryan. Always leave them wanting more. When OFAH ended with them achieving their dream I was completely satisfied. When they brought it back (due to a lack of decent comedy) I felt somewhat let down.
bob
Site Admin

Postby callous_little_bleeder » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:13 am

The script was alright I thought. It certainly didn't offend me and I can definitely tell that the writer is a fan because he got the characters bang on.

I don't think it was his intention to continue where the final Christmas special left off, but more like trying to give it a reboot for the young 'uns. Like how the BBC do Doctor Who audio spin-off's even though they aren't canon to the official series. I think they even had a female Doctor once. That's how I look at this script. And if that was his intention then I think he did a decent little job, as it happens.

Some funny parts in there for sure. :lol:

I've considered writing a Steptoe script myself as I have a cracking idea and I'm not too bad of a writer. It's just having the time to put it all down on paper (or rather Word 2007).
callous_little_bleeder

Next

Return to News & Reviews