Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Leonard Rossiter character(s)

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Leonard Rossiter character(s)

Postby Ahrold! » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:22 pm

As we know, Leonard Rossiter appeared in 2 episodes of Steptoe. Once early on in "The lead man cometh", then later on in "The desperate hours"

Also we know that both times, he played a villain. Once as a conman/thief and the next time as a convict.

Now, what I have always wondered is.....is the convict he plays in the later episode supposed to be the same character as the "welsh" conman we saw in the black and white episode, now imprisoned after years of crime?

Has anybody else ever considered this, or does anybody know if this is was what the writers meant?

I know he has a welsh accent in the first appearance, and a london accent in the next, but that could be explained by him being a devious type.

Look forward to your replies.
Ahrold!

Postby bob » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:08 pm

Good Question

My view is that he plays two different characters.

It was common in the early days of "sitcom" to feature the same actor in different roles. Steptoe wasn't to bad at this although the winner for most Steptoe appeatances is Frank Thornton with 5 different roles.

Even the Vicar played a doctor in one episode.

Still the idea of the character returning in a different guise is a good one.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Rian » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:55 pm

thats an intresting point to make
but seeing as in Steptoe they used the same actors more than once most probably means it was just a coinsidance
Rian

Postby Archie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:50 pm

Yootha Joyce appeared in 'the Bath' as Harolds girlfriend. Then she was in the second movie 'Steptoe and son Ride Again' as a relative of the Steptoes :o
Archie

Postby Rian » Sat May 17, 2008 11:43 pm

Ive just posted a review on "the lead man cometh" starring Leonard Rossiter,which is one of my favourite episodes.
Rian

Postby thatsthatthen » Tue May 27, 2008 7:41 pm

Well I need to get something off me chest.

I'm reading the Steptoe and Son book. You know, the expensive one that was never reprinted.

It's pretty good as it goes through each episode and offers a commentary and analysis. Pity it came too late to do it properly by interviewing cast and crew...

Anyway. We all know the G&S liked to use titles which they have adapted from real plays, films, songs, phrases, Shakespearean soliloquies etc.

The Lead Man Cometh is no exception. It's from The Ice Man Cometh by Eugene O'Neill. I know this because I was sad enough to fly to London in order to see Kevin Spacey at the Old Vic when he first came over to the UK many, many years ago. Gawd I even met him and got him to sign (of all things) my baseball cap!!

So, page 83 of the book says the play was by Arthur Miller. It may have addressed similar themes to Death of a Salesman, but sorry you simply cannot forgive such poor research!

GRRRR!
:evil:
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Re:

Postby borethus » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:42 am

Archie wrote:Yootha Joyce appeared in 'the Bath' as Harolds girlfriend. Then she was in the second movie 'Steptoe and son Ride Again' as a relative of the Steptoes :o

Joyce also appeared as Avis in 'A Box In Town' (1965).
borethus

Return to The knobs are on my side