Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Ledbury Road 1970 Cuckoo in the Nest

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Ledbury Road 1970 Cuckoo in the Nest

Postby borethus » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:54 am

I think: Ledbury Road, Notting Hill is scene of last minute or so of Cuckoo in the Nest.

Cuckoo in the Nest: recorded 6 December 1970, first broadcast 21 December 1970.

The scene shows Albert and Harold leaving a bed-sit that Harold had been renting because of difficulties at home with a supposed 'half-brother' arriving out-of-the-blue (eventually found out by Albert to be antipodean schyster who took the horse and cart out and never came back). Albert and Harold walk and turn left down a road, only to see their horse and cart being driven other way. They turn and give chase with end credits.

When Albert and Harold leave the bed-sit they pass a St.Stephen's Gardens street-sign on wall of mansion block. This was at corner with Ledbury Road which they turn left (south) into. Today St.Stephen's Gardens only runs between Westbourne Park & Shrewsbury Roads: it used to go further west to Ledbury Road. By 1970 that part of St.Stephen's Gardens we see Albert and Harold in had become (as scene shows) run-down, and together with housing, demolished 1973-74 to make way for Wessex Gardens Estate.

Albert and Harold are walking south down Ledbury Road pavement when they see horse and cart driven north. They chase north up Ledbury Road. Where St.Stephen's Gardens used to end at Ledbury Road would today be about where the Melchester & Shottsford blocks of Wessex Gardens Estate converge.

Cheers

Borethus :)
borethus

Re: Ledbury Road 1970 Cuckoo in the Nest

Postby Uncle Nobby » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:18 am

Hello Borethus.

You are definitely right on the location there, it pays to have the knowledge and not just trust Google.

I did a bit of searching and noticed that St Stephens gardens is now about a 2 minute car ride away or a 5 minute walk.

I then did another search and looked at images and found this:

https://flashbak.com/peter-rachman-photos-run-notting-hill-1974-389842/

And it all came tumbling down.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Return to The knobs are on my side