Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

steptoe stuff on e bay

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: steptoe stuff on e bay

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri May 10, 2013 4:11 pm

Those daybills are sweet! The cheap inks lend old school charm. A bit jealous, all I've got is a reduced photo repro of the Ride Again one sheet. Hey ho, better than nothing and glad for it. Fearless Vampire Killers is fun too, though a bit disturbing to watch, Sharon Tate and all. Max Wall did a hilarious 10 min promo for the film, a favorite bit. Speaking of quality horror, have you seen Hammer's "Let Me In" (2010), the English version of Lat Den Ratte Komma In. Excellent picture heralding Hammer's return, it may suffer some genre cliches but performances/cinematography/score are devastating.
A coming of age film on a par with "L. I. E. " (2000), another must see :)
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun May 12, 2013 10:16 am

Thanks about the congrat with the posters and yeah they're lovely items. I had them for a very cool price too an they came to just over £52 or $79 or so. It's surprising what you can find if you trawl through eBay in the early hours but I admit I was very lucky to win them both. :wink:

The Roman Polanski " Fearless Vampire Killers 30x40 poster cost £20 or $30 which is Ironic as the frame to hold it set me back £53 or $80. I'd always wanted to have one and I saw the Spanish version I didn't care that it wasn't the UK or US version as it's virtually Identical apart from the title text to the British release and is a beautiful sight to see. It's in very good condition too for it 45+ years. I love the film to bits and adore how Roman Polanski ( Director also) , Jack Macgowran, Alfie Bass, Ferdy Maine as the Vampire count Krolock and his son Herbert played by Ian Quarrier played their parts so well as did the beautiful Sharon Tate who was in her elements and it's sad knowing her pending horrible fate in 1969 at the hands of the scum Manson crew. My favourite part of the film and there are many is the Chase scene between Alfred & Herbert which is amazingly horrific but funny, lol. Yeah that promo you mentioned with the great Max Wall in the special features of the DVD release which is so cool I might add but have you seen the American film sequence for the film? It's like a Hanna/Barbera episode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OPvFqh- ... detailpage. Love it! lol. 8)

I'm a big fan of Nordic films such as Troll Hunter and the film mentioned "Lat Den Ratte Komma In " Let the right one in. No I haven't seen the American version sadly but if it's as good as the original I'm in for a blood sucking treat. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby harryfaversham » Mon May 13, 2013 3:15 pm

Just watched Carry On Screaming again. I love that film lol
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed May 15, 2013 3:00 pm

harryfaversham wrote:Just watched Carry On Screaming again. I love that film lol

No matter how many times I watch that film it seems to get better and better. It's a classic for a reason. :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby harryfaversham » Thu May 16, 2013 8:17 am

Never gets old

harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri May 17, 2013 3:58 pm

harryfaversham wrote:Never gets old

Fenella Fielding's quite a draw too. Nearly got me into smoking until I realise it would burn the leather sofa. :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat May 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:I'm a big fan of Nordic films such as Troll Hunter...

"Troll Hunter"? Paints a funny picture, will look that one up, cheers. If you're fond of Scandinavian cinema be certain to check out "My Life as a Dog" (1985), another classic. Let the Right One In, haven't seen the Swedish original or read the novel but hope to someday. Chances are you've seen the Norwegian zombie film "Dead Snow" (2009). If not, do. Not bad at all as zombie films go, which all too frequently isn't very far these days. Favorite bits from Fearless Vampire Killers include MacGowran and Polanski clambering over icy parapets (incredible sets!), the colossal library, vast ballroom scene and Ferdy Mayne hamming it up. Can ye blame him? Dunno if it's available UK but if you're a Ferdy fan check out the desperately low budget "Frightmare" (1983) featuring Jeffery Combs (of Re-Animator fame) in an early role. Hilariously cheezy :)

R.I.P. Ray Harryhausen, an icon of artistry of the fantastic and huge influence upon us all. A favorite is "Mysterious Island" (1961) with Bernard Herrmann's brilliant score.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun May 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:I'm a big fan of Nordic films such as Troll Hunter...

"Troll Hunter"? Paints a funny picture, will look that one up, cheers. If you're fond of Scandinavian cinema be certain to check out "My Life as a Dog" (1985), another classic. Let the Right One In, haven't seen the Swedish original or read the novel but hope to someday. Chances are you've seen the Norwegian zombie film "Dead Snow" (2009). If not, do. Not bad at all as zombie films go, which all too frequently isn't very far these days. Favorite bits from Fearless Vampire Killers include MacGowran and Polanski clambering over icy parapets (incredible sets!), the colossal library, vast ballroom scene and Ferdy Mayne hamming it up. Can ye blame him? Dunno if it's available UK but if you're a Ferdy fan check out the desperately low budget "Frightmare" (1983) featuring Jeffery Combs (of Re-Animator fame) in an early role. Hilariously cheezy :)

R.I.P. Ray Harryhausen, an icon of artistry of the fantastic and huge influence upon us all. A favorite is "Mysterious Island" (1961) with Bernard Herrmann's brilliant score.

Troll Hunter is so cool and if you see it you'll be very happy you did. It's filmed a bit like Blair witch but not as shaky and features a film crew who follow a group of Trackers into the wilderness with some great special effects too. I'll also check out the other one Scandanavian films mentioned also. Thanks! 8) (P/S) Love the re Animator movies too.... :P

I' ve noticed a lot of films have aped Fearless Vampire Killers too with the Mirror gag and how it when at the ball it shows no reflection of the Vampires leaving Alfred, Sara and Professor Abronsious alone and the ensuing chase scene. It was used in the Van Helsing movie with Hugh Jackman & Kate Beckinsale. Frightmare? I've Never heard or seen that one which I'll try to check out but I do know there a early seventies Vampire Comedy featuring Ferdy Maine as the Count which is a bit naughty and full of boobs & bums and the name escapes me. lol. ;)

I too was sad to hear of the great Ray Harryheusen's death and so soon after his friend Ray Bradbury. Loved all the movies he Animated for especially the late 50's early 60's Sindbad films not to mention all the cool Sci-fi flicks and the famous of them all King Kong. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby harryfaversham » Fri May 24, 2013 12:16 pm

The original and best

harryfaversham

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat May 25, 2013 1:55 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote: Frightmare? I've Never heard or seen that one which I'll try to check out but I do know there a early seventies Vampire Comedy featuring Ferdy Maine as the Count...

If you are gonna look for "Frightmare" (1983) be warned: I got the DVD from a 99¢ shop for half price which says something, but it's far better than humourless websites would have us believe. Of course it's dreadful, deliriously so, that's why it's so funny! :roll:
Cheap and cheerful, a must for any Ferdy Mayne fan, he really ran with that role.
Back on topic, the only other Steptoe 'collectible' (another unsigned repro) I've got is a b/w 8 x 11 photo of Wilf & Harry in character on set, the skeleton behind them. Must be prior series 3, judging by the hairstyles :)
Dirty Old Yank

Postby harryfaversham » Mon May 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Treasure it mate

harryfaversham

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:39 pm

harryfaversham wrote:Treasure it mate

Watching something very interesting at the moment which I'm hoping to win. Can't say what it is but if I get it I'll post the pictures pronto. :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Still trying to determine when the photo I've got of Harry & Wilf was taken, appears to be series 1. Props and hairstyles seem to be a reliable guide. That and the condition of Albert's teeth, progressive deterioration of his false hampsteads is more accurate than carbon dating.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:37 pm

My recent purchase, a vintage Belgian Steptoe & Son 14x22 poster in A1 order bought for an amazing £7.32p from Lier in Belgium. :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:51 pm

Another recent buy, a Steptoe & Son from 4th to 10th Jan 1964 Radio Times ( London Edition)

Ilovesteptoe

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side