Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

steptoe stuff on e bay

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: steptoe stuff on e bay

Postby steptoe and son scrap » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:08 pm

ilovesteptoe do you have any on the buses pressbooks?if so can you let me know
Albert Steptoe: 'Ere, that's a What the Butler Saw machine!

Harold Steptoe: Ah, you recognize it! Takes you back to your lecherous youth, does it?

You're worse than a fly 'round a cow's arsehole.
steptoe and son scrap

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:43 pm

steptoe and son scrap wrote:ilovesteptoe do you have any on the buses pressbooks?if so can you let me know

Sadly no, but funny you should mention that as the person I bought the Steptoe pressbook off had one for sale but I stupidly didn't buy it. :roll:
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Elbolsa » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:33 pm

Hi all,
been a while since I have been back on the site.I took a year or so out to open a restaurant.So I had quite a few things to catch up on.
Just to let you know that my big project will be finished in the next couple of days or so.
I have every main character from the film "Steptoe and Son Ride Again", authentic autographs.Which I shall be putting into a mount alongside Galton And Simpsons.
There are 15 in all(I had to draw the line somewhere!!!).17 with the writers.
They are in no specific order................
Harry and Wilfrid,Olga Lowe,Yootha Joyce,George Tovey,Bill Maynard,Joyce Hemson,Richard Davies,Milo O'shea,Sam Kydd,Neil McCarthy,Diana Dors,Frank Thornton,Henry Woolfe Geoff Bayldon and Galton And Simpson.
Some were quite hard to get and it took me a few years to get them all.
I will probably keep the original myself and will sell a limited number of copies ,if there is a enough interest.
Though they will probably be expensive even as copies.The size of the mount is slightly under 24"x18".which means it will fit pretty much most standard frames.
I will post a picture of it shortly,with luck I will finish it over the weekend.Probably not if the sun is out!!!
My regards to all the members.Elbolsa (Paul)
Elbolsa

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:34 pm

Here it is, my eBay bought 1972 Steptoe & Son colour 27x40 movie poster all the way from the states. 8)

Last edited by Ilovesteptoe on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:19 pm

Congrats on that find Ilovesteptoe, didn’t know that poster even existed, one of the finest one sheets I’ve ever seen.
Carolyn Seymour doesn’t hurt of course but the artwork is outstanding! All I’ve got (and grateful for it) is a reduced Ride Again repro, so we’re a little jealous :) Is it a repro? Looks like one, or the creases would be, well, creases.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:06 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Congrats on that find Ilovesteptoe, didn’t know that poster even existed, one of the finest one sheets I’ve ever seen.
Carolyn Seymour doesn’t hurt of course but the artwork is outstanding! All I’ve got (and grateful for it) is a reduced Ride Again repro, so we’re a little jealous :) Is it a repro? Looks like one, or the creases would be, well, creases.

Thanks DOY, Yeah been after one of these for ages and was overjoyed to see one in the states for sale. I bought it from a seller as said your side of the pond in Dallas Texas , and no it's bonafide 1972 poster on the right kind of paper and has printed on the reverse the date with some sort of cinema ref code plus I can confirm that the creases are actual folds not a representation of. It goes nice with the one I bought from Australia recently although I had customs charges with that one. :)

See picture other poster mentioned which is located in same frame.

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:05 pm

Then it is genuine.....wish I was that well preserved! That it found its way to Texas is a bit odd, Britons generally don’t choose to live there, not on purpose anyway. I wonder, was either Steptoe film even exhibited in the South? Unlikely. At any rate, it’s a cool one sheet all right, do you know who the artist was?
Reminiscent of some adult film posters of the 70’s.
Coincidentally, yet another dvd edition of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" is being released soon, and they managed to misspell Willie's name: "Wilfred (sic) Brambell."
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:31 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Then it is genuine.....wish I was that well preserved! That it found its way to Texas is a bit odd, Britons generally don’t choose to live there, not on purpose anyway. I wonder, was either Steptoe film even exhibited in the South? Unlikely. At any rate, it’s a cool one sheet all right, do you know who the artist was?
Reminiscent of some adult film posters of the 70’s.
Coincidentally, yet another dvd edition of "Nineteen Eighty-Four" is being released soon, and they managed to misspell Willie's name: "Wilfred (sic) Brambell." :roll:

Oh right regarding Dallas Texas lol, but I'm saying nothing as I might be purchasing more items off this seller shortly. :wink:

Not sure how it got to the southern states but most likely found it's way there from Europe a likely candidate or further afield perhaps? Also as you know different countries have variants of the same poster and a similar one was released in Italy but with obvious italian script on it where this differs slightly in design and has English writing so is either British, American or Australian. Your guess is a good as mine but on looking at the other steptoe poster that I obtained from Australia I think the zeta colour one is a Aussie poster as it has similar script type on both if you compare side by side. :)

The poster was bought of a poster & memorabilia dealer from Dallas as mentioned, but it seems they weren't aware of it's significance this side of the pond seeing the US views was more familiar with Stanford & Son where this image would be alien to them let alone the subject. Regarding the artist, um.. you know what I haven't got a clue? The poster has no artist signature as you'd get with a painting or print and I've just checked on the this site's collectors archive section with another exact poster uploaded by a fellow collector and it's the same with that too, but I agree it would be interesting if anyone knows who designed this and others too?

(p/s) and no a surprise there about the error with Wilfrid's name regarding the pending DVD release of 1984. Obviously the graphic designer never watched the film credits before doing the cover design. Foot in mouth it seems. :roll:

See the other poster mentioned on the Steptoe Archive. http://www.steptoe-and-son.com/film_posters_gallery_001.html

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:16 am

Even if no one had ever heard of Steptoe, or Sanford and Son, the image wouldn’t be alien, I promise you lol.
The artwork really is particularly good, but not knowing the context might lead someone to believe it’s a bit seedy and ask themselves, “We know what those 2 are up to.....but who’s the dirty old man?” :o
It’s a disgrace that movie poster artists weren’t permitted to sign their own work. Most have heard of the Bass’, and Struzan, must’ve been deeply frustrating for other equally talented people to be consigned to obscurity by an industry that really couldn’t care less.
Re: misspelling Willie’s name, it wasn’t a graphic artist. It was (6 letters, a South American river) UK.
And it wasn’t my intent to slight Texas, I’m sure it’s a lovely place. Some of my best friends are cactus heads :)
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:55 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:See the other poster mentioned on the Steptoe Archive http://www.steptoe-and-son.com/film_posters_gallery_001.html

Actually, "steptoe-and-son.com" used to be Ron Bean's domain, the former home of the Steptoe and Son Appreciation Society, before he passed the torch to our host, Bob, in 2011 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=748
Does Ron still own that domain?
When did it get transformed into a marketplace for grotesquely overpriced memorabilia?
To our knowledge, nobody ever mentioned it here.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:12 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Even if no one had ever heard of Steptoe, or Sanford and Son, the image wouldn’t be alien, I promise you lol.
The artwork really is particularly good, but not knowing the context might lead someone to believe it’s a bit seedy and ask themselves, “We know what those 2 are up to.....but who’s the dirty old man?” :o
It’s a disgrace that movie poster artists weren't permitted to sign their own work. Most have heard of the Bass’, and Drusan, must've been deeply frustrating for other equally talented people to be consigned to obscurity by an industry that really couldn't care less.
Re: misspelling Willie’s name, it wasn't a graphic artist. It was (6 letters, a South American river) UK.
And it wasn't my intent to slight Texas, I'm sure it’s a lovely place. Some of my best friends are cactus heads :)

Oh right lol, that put me in my place with that assertion over the misspelling of Wilfrid's name. I'll never buy off them again, well I say that until I need something else that is, and no I'm not saying they'd not understand the connotations of the image but not be aware of the movie & series it came from although you are indeed correct that the image could be construed in a red light way unless you knew the subject matter or seen the film where Zeta was a stripper by night good girl by day, Albert was a dirty old man 24/7 with bad eyesight and poor Harold was happy for any affection from any quarters be it a half naked beauty or a pink liquorice allsort. :P

(p/S) Never knew Texans were called Cactus Heads , lol. Thank heavens I'm not a Texan with the name Richard then I'd be a Di...er Richard head. :lol:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:15 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:See the other poster mentioned on the Steptoe Archive http://www.steptoe-and-son.com/film_posters_gallery_001.html

Actually, "steptoe-and-son.com" used to be Ron Bean's domain, the former home of the Steptoe and Son Appreciation Society, before he passed the torch to our host, Bob, in 2011 viewtopic.php?f=2&t=748
Does Ron still own that domain?
When did it get transformed into a marketplace for grotesquely overpriced memorabilia?
To our knowledge, nobody ever mentioned it here.

Not sure DOY, to be honest there's not much Steptoe stuff out there so the market makes it's own price up and the reason always I'm scanning auction sites for memorabilia.

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:29 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:Oh right lol, that put me in my place...

My respected Welsh mate Ilovesteptoe, it appears you’ve misinterpreted my meaning. I never sought to 'correct' you or make 'assertions', only to laugh with you :) "Cactus head” is no more a term of opprobrium than “poof” and is not region, or state, specific. They’re both endearing qualities, never occurred to me or anyone else, that doesn't have a chip on their shoulder, to be offended. I wasn’t kidding, I know a lot of cactus heads. Many of em brilliant people, the ones that don’t blithely wander around with semi-automatics shoved down their trousers and 10 gallons hats on their heads. If I was off tack, or inarticulately expressed myself, I sincerely apologize.
NOW HOW BOUT A HUG? :o
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:32 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:Oh right lol, that put me in my place...

My respected Welsh mate Ilovesteptoe, it appears you’ve misinterpreted my meaning. I never sought to 'correct' you or make 'assertions', only to laugh with you :) "Cactus head” is no more a term of opprobrium than “poof” and is not region, or state, specific. They’re both endearing qualities, never occurred to me or anyone else, that doesn't have a chip on their shoulder, to be offended. I wasn’t kidding, I know a lot of cactus heads. Many of em brilliant people, the ones that don’t blithely wander around with semi-automatics shoved down their trousers and 10 gallons hats on their heads. If I was off tack, or inarticulately expressed myself, I sincerely apologize.
NOW HOW BOUT A HUG? :o

Hey DOY no offence taken friend lol, although It's really interesting hearing local terminology if you can call it that with a country 4000 miles across with rivalries pet names for states and so on. I always thought the people of Chicago Illinois had a flatulence problem being so close to Canada with all that maple syrup swilling around their bellies and the reason why their capital was nicknamed "the Windy city" but soon realised on speaking native on ham radio resulting in a some laughter. I felt a right berk that day I can tell ya. :shock:

Yeah I've always wondered why Texans wore large hats? Could it be due to the lack of water resulting in their winkies shriveling making them so self conscious resulting in large hats, heck large everything else taking their minds of their personage problems? They say to have big feet means a big you know what but how does this work with headwear? Could mean the same thing I suppose. :?

Want a hug, yeah why not we're both hetrosexual men with no need of large hats. Prepare to be hugged within an inch of your stetson. :mrgreen:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:47 pm

Within an inch of our wot? whoa!! :shock:
Give us a moment to compose a reply already lol
Glad you're back ILS, thanks for taking the time amigo :wink:
"Large hats", fell about reading that.
Dirty Old Yank

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side