Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

steptoe stuff on e bay

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: steptoe stuff on e bay

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:40 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...interesting...terminology...I've always wondered why...large hats...hetrosexual men...within an inch of your stetson.

I still could do with a hug :(
I don’t really want one, we just want to hear you swear in Welsh :o
I’ve recommended these books before, but if you’re interested in Yank idioms (that’s idioms) H. L. Mencken’s “American Language” is vital, a wealth of knowledge, miles of research. Originally published as 2, huge cloth volumes, followed by 2 cloth supplements, there isn’t a single page of thousands that isn’t fascinating.
Its been condensed into an overpriced trade paperback, essential reading if you can find it.
It’s true that form frequently follows function, there’s nothing peculiar about wide brim hats or huge sombreros in 130+ f heat, keeps the sun off your neck, helps prevent sun stroke and keeps your head dry in monsoon conditions. But 10 gallon hats are something else entirely. When Rangers wear what might seem inordinately large hats, it’s appropriate for them to project a sense of authority. But when just folks, or worse, wealthy movie stars wear that stuff in public, it’s patently ridiculous. John Wayne didn’t wear a 10 gallon in public, neither did Gabby Hayes or Slim Pickens, and those fellas defined what is often projected and perceived as “western”. And lol I can’t imagine why you’d assume I’d wear a Stetson. The best I’ve got is a cheap felt derby I deliberately stepped on, to make it look like Albert’s. It sits atop our Steptoe skeleton, where else? :)
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:16 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...interesting...terminology...I've always wondered why...large hats...hetrosexual men...within an inch of your stetson.

I still could do with a hug :(
I don’t really want one, we just want to hear you swear in Welsh :o
I’ve recommended these books before, but if you’re interested in Yank idioms (that’s idioms) H. L. Mencken’s “American Language” is vital, a wealth of knowledge, miles of research. Originally published as 2, huge cloth volumes, followed by 2 cloth supplements, there isn’t a single page of thousands that isn’t fascinating.
Its been condensed into an overpriced trade paperback, essential reading if you can find it.
It’s true that form frequently follows function, there’s nothing peculiar about wide brim hats or huge sombreros in 130+ f heat, keeps the sun off your neck, helps prevent sun stroke and keeps your head dry in monsoon conditions. But 10 gallon hats are something else entirely. When Rangers wear what might seem inordinately large hats, it’s appropriate for them to project a sense of authority. But when just folks, or worse, wealthy movie stars wear that stuff in public, it’s patently ridiculous. John Wayne didn’t wear a 10 gallon in public, neither did Gabby Hayes or Slim Pickens, and those fellas defined what is often projected and perceived as “western”. And lol I can’t imagine why you’d assume I’d wear a Stetson. The best I’ve got is a cheap felt derby I deliberately stepped on, to make it look like Albert’s. It sits atop our Steptoe skeleton, where else? :)

Here's a hug and a welsh cake, and yes I could swear in Welsh but would you understand me though ,lol. :lol:

That book by H. L. Mencken’s “American Language” will come in handy when I watch some US sitcoms as most times they talk about certain things and I haven't got a clue? but I suppose the same goes with British terminology/slang and less said about Welsh terminology as this be definitely other worldly but here's a good Welsh word not a swear word per say but an insult being "twp" meaning stupid, also ironically the insult Moron used by most English speakers in Welsh Moron means Carrot, so the next time you call someone a Moron whilst out driving out of frustration a Welsh person nearby might think you've lost a carrot or angry at losing one. I'd be too if mine went awol. :P

You mention John Wayne. Now there's a man with a huge hat syndrome 10 gallon or not, and seeing his laboured walk could have been mistaken at times for a tripod. I genuinely think that the main reason most Injuns were red in those days was because they were too embarrassed to say anything on seeing his obvious thingy, in fact John Wayne could have introduce Jousting into the states without even knowing, although unlike today's Cowboys in those hairy dusty days of the wild west they were real men who could fart in a woman's face without retribution and pee whilst sleeping then still hit the spittoon from within their tent they were so manly. Hey come to think about it I too could be one also as once when I was wee 18yr old as a builder's Labourer I was called a cowboy by my cigar smoking boss. I think they were a hat wearer too come to think about it which said everything about her. :?

(p/s) Steton wearer or not you'll still in for a hugging. :mrgreen:
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:31 pm

Hang on, didn’t get to edit my post yet!
Was gonna add the obvious, that 10 gallon hats are created for men that want to look like the Bride of Frankenstein but think they’re too butch to admit it. Seriously, put a 10 gallon on Elsa Manchester (or Sybil Fawlty) in sheeting rain, and not a single follicle would get wet. And...I’d know if you were swearing, Welsh or not. If I squeezed your bum in a pub, when you spun around.....so many consonants so quickly could mean only one thing: get off!! lol.
Does “moron” translate “carrot”? That may explain a rude expression, “carrot head”. Fascinating subject, how expressions came into being, rude ones particularly, how they blend and travel. Though the term ”injun” is racist and extremely un-pc. Context is key, but I’d avoid that one! lol Especially in the company of refrigerator sized Native Americans that you don’t know. Could be.....awkward.
You might also consider reappraising that second paragraph, just a thought mate :wink:
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:43 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Hang on, didn’t get to edit my post yet!
Was gonna add the obvious, that 10 gallon hats are created for men that want to look like the Bride of Frankenstein but think they’re too butch to admit it. Seriously, put a 10 gallon on Elsa Manchester (or Sybil Fawlty) in sheeting rain, and not a single follicle would get wet. And...I’d know if you were swearing, Welsh or not. If I squeezed your bum in a pub, when you spun around.....so many consonants so quickly could mean only one thing: get off!! lol.
Does “moron” translate “carrot”? That may explain a rude expression, “carrot head”. Fascinating subject, how expressions came into being, rude ones particularly, how they blend and travel. Though the term ”injun” is racist and extremely un-pc. Context is key, but I’d avoid that one! lol Especially in the company of refrigerator sized Native Americans that you don’t know. Could be.....awkward.
You might also consider reappraising that second paragraph, just a thought mate :wink:

Oops I never realise that? Apologies to my native American brothers & sisters for that ill thought out description. :oops:

"If I squeezed your bum in a pub", well if you did that I'd assume I was in the wrong sort of pub especially if I heard the Police Academy El bimbo tune and there was a lot of handlebar moustaches and white T shirts. :shock:

Yeah Moron means Carrot in Welsh/Cymraeg, and I suppose the root (no pun intended) of the saying Moron which as an insult could be connected to that very word meaning someone who buries their head in the ground.

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:08 pm

It's me that should apologize, for being such a pretentious git. Sorry bout that :oops:
I wish it wouldn’t happen but it does sometimes, very embarrassing. If I’d arrived earlier, I would have reappraised my own comments, and erased some of them. But not the remarks about western wear, though Bill Bailey manages to make a Roger Daltry fringe jacket look really cool. So, who knows :)
Do carrots have eyes now? And teeth? Genetically modified vegetables run amok!
Soon they’ll be biting back :shock:
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:53 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:It's me that should apologize, for being such a pretentious git. Sorry bout that :oops:
I wish it wouldn’t happen but it does sometimes, very embarrassing. If I’d arrived earlier, I would have reappraised my own comments, and erased some of them. But not the remarks about western wear, though Bill Bailey manages to make a Roger Daltry fringe jacket look really cool. So, who knows :)
Do carrots have eyes now? And teeth? Genetically modified vegetables run amok!
Soon they’ll be biting back :shock:

No you did right, I suppose it's okay being naughty dare I say it politically incorrect as we all can be but I don't want to overtly offend anyone that doesn't deserve mocking unfairly although it's nice to do it to ones who cause trouble in the world or are certain arrogant celebs & politicians yeah especially politicians that ask for it. :twisted:

Re Bill Bailey. Man I do love Bill Bailey, especially his cool live stand-up shows such as Tinselworm, Cosmic Jam & part Troll, oh and the funny Carrot with a coy but alluring smile that would melt anyones butter is a US import from Texas called Bush where the hats are big and the vegetables are a plenty. (p/s) No offense to Texans intended, I do really mean their vegetables there. :D

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:29 pm

No, it was my bad, I had an unfortunate “pc” moment. As someone who, like many of us, has argued the legitimacy of so called “political correctness”, it was a bit preposterous for me to attempt to represent people I’m not, liberals have a funny habit of doing that sometimes lol. Rather like Harold Steptoe :)
‘Swearing’....another book you might find amusing, “International Dictionary of Obscenities” compiled by Christina Kunitskaya-Peterson, 1981. A slim volume, 5 languages (not Welsh unfortunately).
I can’t attest to its accuracy, only its efficacy :shock:
And the Duke, please don’t get me wrong, I enjoy some of his films. But in character, he did walk a tripod didn’t he? lol The full nappy walk, sideways and bow legged. A favorite moment from “The Birdcage”, drag show director Robin Williams is trying to get his partner, Nathan Lane, to butch up for the frighteningly ignorant in-laws. Effeminately dressed, Lane hopelessly attempts masculinity by doing his Wayne walk and it suddenly dawns on Williams, “Perfect, I just never realized John Wayne walked like that.” :o
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:12 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:No, it was my bad, I had an unfortunate “pc” moment. As someone who, like many of us, has argued the legitimacy of so called “political correctness”, it was a bit preposterous for me to attempt to represent people I’m not, liberals have a funny habit of doing that sometimes lol. Rather like Harold Steptoe :)
‘Swearing’....another book you might find amusing, “International Dictionary of Obscenities” compiled by Christina Kunitskaya-Peterson, 1981. A slim volume, 5 languages (not Welsh unfortunately).
I can’t attest to its accuracy, only its efficacy :shock:
And the Duke, please don’t get me wrong, I enjoy some of his films. But in character, he did walk a tripod didn’t he? lol The full nappy walk, sideways and bow legged. A favorite moment from “The Birdcage”, drag show director Robin Williams is trying to get his partner, Nathan Lane, to butch up for the frighteningly ignorant in-laws. Effeminately dressed, Lane hopelessly attempts masculinity by doing his Wayne walk and it suddenly dawns on Williams, “Perfect, I just never realized John Wayne walked like that.” :o

There's political correctness through censorship, and although correct in some cases I prefer to see the funny side of life through observation but I prefer comics to target people who deserve it rather than than the weak, poor of society although in some rare cases certain scenarios could be used but done with sensitivity of " laugh with them rather than at them" as in life there's funny moments even there's tragedy, for example in the second Steptoe movies in which about to buried Albert Steptoe waking up in that coffin due to Hercules the II whilst puffing a fag inturn frightening the bejesus out of the vicar and onlooking mourners. :D

Talking all thing the Duke i.e John Wayne. Yeah he had a funny way of walking didn't he which meant either he had piles or he thought he was still riding his horse even when walking. :P

I can remember watching that oscar ceremony when campaigner & actor Marlon Brando didn't attend so he had a native American Lady pick up his award who then made a political speech on his behalf to onlookers with the camera panning over to a hostile John Wayne reacting as if he was indeed still fighting the indians as one of his characters? A eye opener it was. :shock:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:31 am

In fairness to John Wayne, when he was awarded best actor for True Grit, he had only one lung, was lucky to be alive. The following year George C Scott refused his best actor award for Patton, describing the ceremony as a "meat parade". Then Brando refused his best actor award for The Godfather. If Wayne found this annoying, it's difficult to fault him for it. By the way, her name is Sacheen Littlefeather. Albert opening his coffin lid and screaming at the mislead mourners, a Hammer moment if ever there was one, is still one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen.
Yootha Joyce’s eyes widening, head bobbling on her shoulders like they weren’t connected and everybody falling backwards, including Henry Woolf, who faints dead away. The only sensible person in the entire film seems to be Neil McCarthy. 37p and a half, for a huge steak. “For the dog”. I’d wager Albert ate most of it, sawdust ‘n all :roll:
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:46 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:In fairness to John Wayne, when he was awarded best actor for True Grit, he had only one lung, was lucky to be alive. The following year George C Scott refused his best actor award for Patton, describing the ceremony as a "meat parade". Then Brando refused his best actor award for The Godfather. If Wayne found this annoying, it's difficult to fault him for it. By the way, her name is Sacheen Littlefeather. Albert opening his coffin lid and screaming at the mislead mourners, a Hammer moment if ever there was one, is still one of the funniest scenes I've ever seen.
Yootha Joyce’s eyes widening, head bobbling on her shoulders like they weren't connected and everybody falling backwards, including Henry Woolf, who faints dead away. The only sensible person in the entire film seems to be Neil McCarthy. 37p and a half, for a huge steak. “For the dog”. I’d wager Albert ate most of it, sawdust ‘n all :roll:

Nah I like John Wayne, maybe I'm a little too hard on the old fella. To be honest there was a lot going on in the early seventies not only with his health problems but with American society as a whole especially with the ongoing vietnam conflict, watergate I suppose this protest although just in it's cause was adding fuel to an already politically fiery situation. :|

Also thanks for the lady mentioned being native American lady Sacheen Littlefeather, didn't realise that was her name and was just recalling something from memory. I wasn't at first aware why she was there to collect Marlon Brando's award although was aware he was a campaigner himself for human rights and such, but on further detective work found out that it was all to do with the past "Wounded Knee" battle which native indians fought against oppression & land rights and this was a focal point for an ongoing protest during the academy awards ceremony in 1973. Ironically this battle and protest was made into a movie with Val Kilmer called ThunderHeart (1992) in which he plays a half Indian FBI agent sent to a reservation to investigate a murder of an activist but it was all government cloak & dagger landsteal for uranium malarkey, and a very good movie it was too. 8)

Yeah that coffin scene as said always tickles me, especially when Albert is rolling tossing and turning all comfy inside the coffin enjoying a sleep whilst sucking on a lit fag lol. :lol:

Re Yootha Joyce. Oh I love her as an actress and I was sad to see when she passed in 1980 due to her alcoholism problem, but who can forget her and Brian Murphy's appearance in the classic sitcom "Man about the House" or her masterpiece being "George & Mildred" the series and 1980 TV Movie (her last outing). I felt so sorry for her character Mildred who was a passionate women trapped in a marital cage with George who was a wet and thin as a shoelace with as much sensitivity as heckler at a funeral. :shock:

Favourite Henry Woolf scene in Steptoe was that wonderful (1974) episode "Seven Steptoerai ", and how Frankie Barrow on bringing his heavy mob to turn Albert & Harold's place over due to their non payment of their iffy protection come insurance scheme all engage with Albert pensioner friends in that fight kung fu fight scene where Harold get's smacked on the head with a ceramic bust before he could engage in a fight and old Henry (Frankie) gets a pitchfork around his throat pinning him to the bog door for his luck before escaping in a panic lol. Classic! :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanks again for taking the time to write an in depth reply ILS :)
I didn’t mean to appear to defend John Wayne, not all of the characters he portrayed were admirable, neither were all of the pictures he appeared in. Still I think he deserved that award for True Grit. But he had an excellent script and outstanding co-players to help him, Kim Darby is superb and Strother Martin is perfection, if only Elmer Bernstein’s score hadn't been quite so strident. You’re right about the social climate here at that time, added to which “Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee” was published in 1970 and was a bestseller, “Little Big Man” was released the same year and was a huge cinema success, so public awareness of Native Americans had suddenly spiked before Brando’s famous refusal, as read by Ms Littlefeather. Fast forward a bit, did you see the streaker behind David Niven? Another favorite bit from Ride Again.....Hercules II is about to win the race but instead runs off the track and leaps into Harold’s arms, that never stops being funny! Seven Steptoerai, there’s some famous folks in that episode, legendary in the stunt community. A cameo appearance by Bruce Lee would’ve been brilliant and I know just where: Albert exits the cinema exuberant, having just seen “Enter the Dragon”, and accidentally karate chops some bloke who stumbles away confused. If that bloke had been Lee it would've been hilarious, but he'd tragically passed on the year before.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:27 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Thanks again for taking the time to write an in depth reply ILS :)
I didn’t mean to appear to defend John Wayne, not all of the characters he portrayed were admirable, neither were all of the pictures he appeared in. Still I think he deserved that award for True Grit. But he had an excellent script and outstanding co-players to help him, Kim Darby is superb and Strother Martin is perfection, if only Elmer Bernstein’s score hadn't been quite so strident. You’re right about the social climate here at that time, added to which “Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee” was published in 1970 and was a bestseller, “Little Big Man” was released the same year and was a huge cinema success, so public awareness of Native Americans had suddenly spiked before Brando’s famous refusal, as read by Ms Littlefeather. Fast forward a bit, did you see the streaker behind David Niven? Another favorite bit from Ride Again.....Hercules II is about to win the race but instead runs off the track and leaps into Harold’s arms, that never stops being funny! Seven Steptoerai, there’s some famous folks in that episode, legendary in the stunt community. A cameo appearance by Bruce Lee would’ve been brilliant and I know just where: Albert exits the cinema exuberant, having just seen “Enter the Dragon”, and accidentally karate chops some bloke who stumbles away confused. If that bloke had been Lee it would've been hilarious, but he'd tragically passed on the year before.

My pleasure DOY. :P

Re Actors & controversy. Even the best have flaws sadly, and there's loads of stars that I like then find out their political preferences or stance on certain things which is a little off putting. For example I loved Charlton Heston as an actor but his attitude to guns was questionable even with all the atrocities going on in Schools ect... , or Tony Curtis & Clint Eastwood's attitude/actions in interviews towards women as sexual objects was a little disrespectful. I know those mentioned travel in totally different social circles to everyday folk, and their business screws you up and spits you out but it is an eyeopener to hear or see their views and such.

Yeah True Grit was a masterpiece and sadly John Wayne missed out on an oscar. I love his last film " The Shootist (1976) in which he played an infamous gunslinger suffering with terminal cancer which ironically mirrored his own battle.

You mention the movie little Big Man (1970 with Dustin Hoffman. What a brilliant film that was. It's like three movies in one and goes on forever (about 2hrs plus if my memory's correct) and character not the screenplay was based if a historical person too with what I've read. One of Dustin's best films along with Marathon (1976) man & The Graduate (1967) in my opinion. 8)

Re Steptoe movies. Boy, I could watch the two Steptoe films forever. In fact I'm thinking of installing a DVD player in my coffin for that very reason so if there's a mistake I can at least be happy for a short while. :lol:

Yeah that Steptoe & Son Rides again scene where Hercules II running for his life contact lense aided, smells Albert's dung ciggy which he loves to eat resulting in their bet going tits up was a gem lol, oh plus the scene where Harold after discharging himself from the hospital is seen running through the cemetery looking worse for wear trying to stop Albert from being buried, he goes to the wrong funeral shouts " stop" resulting in the priest's shocked reaction with bearers dropping the coffin entangling his leg around the rope causing him to fall in the hole. Classic!! :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby tavbet » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:13 am

Hi All

Due to house downsizing I have had to make the heartbreaking decision to clear out my Steptoe memorabilia.
If anyone is interested I have just listed a load on eBay.
There is the one of the 1964 jigsaws, copies of Totting Times and Rag N Bone, a pressbook from the first film and a programme from the first night of Murder in Oil Drum Lane signed by Ray Galton and John Antrobus.
Will be listing more stuff over the next few days.
My eBay un is tavbet if you want to search that way.
Tav
tavbet

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:11 pm

Just purchased some more vintage posters. See below. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:54 pm

Look what I just bought. A 1973 Last of the Summer Wine camera script once owned by a BBC cameraman. This entire first series consisted a pilot plus six episodes. This script is from the 6th episode titled "Hail Smiling Morn or Thereabouts" from series 1 aired 29 December 1973 but shot on 3rd of August same year as noted on the script below. You can actually follow the scene by reading the script text too on the script page uploaded. So cool. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side