Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

what did he say???

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

what did he say???

Postby neilold12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:17 am

new to the board, so hi to all

Few questions regarding steptoe in the episode where alb ahd har are discussing going on holiday they are talking about albert putting on an accent. Albert says he can't do a scotch accent or something then the bit i'm wondering about is what does harold say after theis it sounds like 'then turn it into ?????' what is it he says? and what is it that ablert replies/ it sounds like 'yeah sounds like i done d'innit' am i right and if not what do they actually say? That bit, for some reason is only on my old steptoe vcrs and is reomved on the dvd boxset i have, so i can't put subs on!! Also why, possibly same episode, would the tourist be looking in the paper to see what firms gone bust if harold says that there english on holiday? I don't get it did a lot of holiday firms in Britain go bust in the 70s or something, anyway thanks for any help
neilold12

Re: what did he say???

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:56 pm

Harold mentioned in the Xmas 74 special about Albert on holiday doing a Scottish Accent other than his cockney one to fit in after he said he wouldn't do an Australian one, Harold then proceeded to suggest because of all the oil meaning they were from a prosperous area and if it was too difficult mimic to make it sound as if your educated at Oxford giving them an air of sophistication . :)

Also in the early seventies we had a lot of strikes which were lampooned in many a TV series and this included Air controller strikes not to mention the air travel strike and where holiday firms would fold leaving passengers stranded overseas or languishing in airports for hours. :shock:

The BBC in their wisdom on the release of the series to DVD as mentioned by you and for some unknown reason edited a lot of important content from the series to the frustration of us fans. I luckily when VHS went out of fashion decided to transfer all my VHS tapes to DVD and was shocked when I bought the official DVDs to see how much had been cut? The BBC should re release the series again on either DVD or blu ray and put all scenes removed back. :roll:
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:46 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote: The BBC should re release the series again on either DVD or blu ray and put all scenes removed back. :roll:

The bbc should do a lot of things, but one suggestion I have would probably get me banned from the forum for using inappropriate language!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:23 pm

PhilGlass wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote: The BBC should re release the series again on either DVD or blu ray and put all scenes removed back. :roll:

The bbc should do a lot of things, but one suggestion I have would probably get me banned from the forum for using inappropriate language!

Yeah I tend to agree 100% with your sentiments Phil. I Don't think we've had any reason why the clips were cut and it's not as if they are doing it on a budget and ran out of space on the dvd? :?

Ilovesteptoe

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:45 pm

I have contacted them on many occasions and their only response was "the edited footage was not 'good enough' to make it to the final dvd". Despite my persistence they don't specify what they mean... not funny enough? That's not for them to decide... Not good enough quality? Well 100% quality bootlegs of the xmas specials exist... or is it pure coincidence its the racial talk cut from xmas 73? Now we have an answer...
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:50 pm

PhilGlass wrote:I have contacted them on many occasions and their only response was "the edited footage was not 'good enough' to make it to the final dvd". Despite my persistence they don't specify what they mean... not funny enough? That's not for them to decide... Not good enough quality? Well 100% quality bootlegs of the xmas specials exist... or is it pure coincidence its the racial talk cut from xmas 73? Now we have an answer...

When I change over to DVD I luckily taped all my VHS Steptoe & son's on DVD ( Thank heavens my common sense!! ) and when I heard rumours about the BBC cutting certain episodes I was like you shocked and bewildered. You mention them quoting episodes not being funny or segments with a racist overtones. Hell have you see most shows the BBC produce today and their content? What a laugh, and I'd like to say joke but I'd fear they cut that one out. :?

Ilovesteptoe

Return to The knobs are on my side