Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

SANFORD AND SON

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

SANFORD AND SON

Postby Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 9:57 pm

HAS SANFORD AND SON EVER BEEN SHOWN IN THE U.K.

Postby bob » Tue May 02, 2006 1:35 pm

To my knowledge it hasn't.

With all these extra TV stations trying to to attract our attention, I hope somebody picks up on the idea.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Graham_S nli » Sun May 07, 2006 7:13 pm

I believe I watched it on one of the Telewest cable channels possibly a west indian themed channel ( and the series was based on black actors which is possibly the reason for the takeup? ) in this country about ten years ago...

I remember Red Foxxx played the Albert character (can't remember the name of the Harold actor.... ) and the episode was a straight conversion of the "65 Today" script....

I think the major difference was that the son was using a pick up truck for deliveries...

It wasn't a bad effort but not a patch on the original...

Graham
Graham_S nli

sanford and son

Postby harold » Mon May 08, 2006 7:13 pm

the harold character was demond wilson i agree steptoe and son is better
harold

Sanford and Son DVD's

Postby Graham_S nli » Mon May 08, 2006 9:21 pm

You can purchase the Season ( 1 to 6 ) type DVD's on e-bay BUT only on Region 1 discs that work on American DVD players.....

They also had about 170 odd episodes, so not all would be straight "americanised" scripts...

Graham
Graham_S nli

SANFORD AND SON DVDS

Postby Guest » Tue May 09, 2006 8:52 pm

ONLY THE FIRST AND SECOND SEASON USED VERSIONS OF THE STEPPPPTOE AND SON SCRIPTS

sanford and son

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:53 pm

after watching steptoe and son i can see where the actors in sanford and son got their mannerisms

sanford and son

Postby harold » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:18 pm

i read all above board and wilfrid mentions the dutch steptoe and son i wonder if wilfrid or harry knew about sanford and son
harold

Postby Rian » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:17 am

Sanford and Son was aired during the 80's wasnt it ?
I would never really watch it though lol
Rian

Postby britcoms » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:15 pm

Sanford is interesting to watch and as it stands - alone from Steptoe - it's a fine example of an American Sit-com, portrayed for the most part fairly well.

It fails badly in the Steptoe comparisons though, there is no tension, drama or claustrophobia. There are other family members who are effectively main stars as well, like an Aunt who turns up quite often, much to the chagrin of the old man character. It's therefore not a straight conversion, on top of all this, Demond is still young enough to tell the old man where to go - the producers missed everything that made Steptoe 'Steptoe' and just went for the idea of the old man and the younger son, and that's about it.
britcoms

SANFORD AND SON

Postby harold » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:15 pm

I AGREE STEPTOE AND SON WAS BETTER ,
harold

Postby callous_little_bleeder » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:31 pm

Sanford wasn't a bad little stab at making the basic premise of Steptoe appeal to the U.S.A. It was very watchable and had some great comedy scenes but it's unfortunate that a lot of Americans don't have a clue about the original show it was based on. That's not to say that Steptoe doesn't have it's fair share of American fans, of course.
callous_little_bleeder

sanford and son

Postby harold » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:32 pm

i agree and i also wish more americans knew about steptoe and son this is one american who loves steptoe and son
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

Return to The knobs are on my side