Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

why oh why

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

why oh why

Postby neilold12 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:03 am

does albert go to a chinese restraunt and say the food is terrible ('happy returns' i think) and then say he's going to have a good blowout on chinese food in the episode 'siege of steptoe street'???? Also in that episode how come the have tins of frogs legs and snails?? not the sort of thing they'd eat, especially Albert!
neilold12

Re: why oh why

Postby bob » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:10 pm

Good spot

I don't know the answer but I would guess it is one of the following :

1. Ray and Alan didn't take good care of continuity (They never previously had to). Hancock is fully of continuity as well as Kenneth Williams appearing each week as a different character.

or

2. Albert is a contrary old bugger who would say anything he thought Harold wouldn't like to hear !!

I prefer number 2 myself.

Welcome to the forum
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:52 am

Im with Bob. If Albert loved Chinese he would deliberately say he didn't just to get on Harold's bristols... as for the tins, Steptoe the Kleptoe probably half inched them and they were the easiest ones to get...
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:57 pm

It's true that strict adherence to continuity wasn't a Steptoe strong suit but I'm glad Ray and Alan weren't slavish to the idea.
Permits a little elbow room for the imagination :)
And take away!
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:58 pm

It's only pretend...
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:22 pm

PhilGlass wrote:It's only pretend...

That's what the wife says !!!
bob
Site Admin

Postby spikespark » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:03 pm

As childish and contrary as Albert is, even if he loved Chinese food he could claim he doesn't like it, if he wants to annoy Harold.

It's also possible his tastes changed a bit as time went on and Chinese food became less 'foreign'.

As for the tins, in The Seige of Steptoe Street we do see he likes some fancy stuff-- grouse, etc. Also, we know Harold likes to try to be 'sophisticated,' who knows, maybe he got asparagus tips and escargot to try and impress some girl. Both Steptoes seem to have an affinity for sophisticated stuff at times (I love when Albert claimed he was making Harold pate en croute in Robbery With Violence), which makes it all the more funny when juxtaposed with their disgusting personal habits and general dump of a house.

I also like the theory that Albert may have just shoplifted the tins -- "Steptoe the Kleptoe," after all. :D
Last edited by spikespark on Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
spikespark

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:09 pm

Welcome Spikespark, you’re just what the forum needs, new blood :D.
There's no question Albert’s palate wasn’t put off by "foreign", he brought home curry that ponged blocks away.
But...who brings home cold snails to impress a bird? Other than another bird. Albert got the tin below discount :roll:.
I never found the Steptoe’s home a “general dump”, what with antiques in every direction, including a bear that seemed to grow exponentially with each season. Do you have any favorite set props? Its already been examined in other topics but...I’d love one of the original skeletons or a set of Albert’s false teeth :mrgreen:.
Better still, Harold’s copy of “Fanny Hill” :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby spikespark » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:39 pm

Thanks for the welcome, DOY! I am looking forward to talking to some people who share my love of the Steptoes.

That's true, Albert probably got those tins of escargot on a special. Harold should thank his lucky stars that they ate the contents when they did-- otherwise, he'd have been getting snails for his tea, or worse, cos they'd be cold-- lunch, one day. It amuses me to imagine the day to day life of the Steptoes beyond the glimpses we got to see in the episodes.

It is hard to decide on a favourite Steptoe prop! The enormous stuffed bear and the skeleton definitely are iconic. But I have a soft spot for Harold's Number 9 bus, too. I also really love the tiger skin beside Harold's bed, shown in A Winter's Tale.

I often have thought about the items in the Steptoe house, too, and just how much were dross vs. antiques. They do seem to have some pieces that would be worth something. Albert seems to generally be a hoarder, so he treasures the crap along with the good stuff. I love how he wants to latch on to every item Harold brings in, to add to the 'collection'.

ETA: By 'general dump' I meant more that it was often referred to as being in need of a lot of repairs-- Albert's floor being riddled with woodworm so Harold's attempt to fit the bathtub was doomed, all the leaks when Harold was complaining about the flyover in "Without Prejudice," and so on.
spikespark

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:21 am

I’ve tried escargot only once. A girlfriend dragged me to a proper French restaurant and she insisted I try one of her garlic snails. I did, after which I smiled politely...what else is there to say? It’s a snail innit. Thought myself a right ponce when I smelled the cork, and as the waiter walked away, she leaned forward and whispered, “....You did it perfectly.” I accidentally wondered aloud, “Did what?!” We couldn’t stop laughing and got chucked out, hey ho :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby spikespark » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:50 am

Ha ha! She sounds as if she was a girlfriend with a sense of humour, at least, if she was laughing too. :D
spikespark

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:22 pm

I didn’t mean to suggest “general dump” was inappropriate and thinking back now on those early b/w episodes, I realize you’re absolutely right, that kitchen was pretty grim. But in later colour episodes the place wasn’t all that bad, maybe it just appeals to my baser pack-rat instincts. I’ve often thought their home deserved a spread in Architectural Digest but nobody needs 4000 false hampsteads lying around, that’s more like Police Gazette :o.
Come to think of it, I don't know what a grouse looks like either :|. Worse than tinned asparagus tips must be brussels sprouts, or worse still, mustard greens...blech!
Dirty Old Yank

Postby spikespark » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:I didn’t mean to suggest “general dump” was inappropriate and thinking back now on those early b/w episodes, I realize you’re absolutely right, that kitchen was pretty grim. But in later colour episodes the place wasn’t all that bad, maybe it just appeals to my baser pack-rat instincts. I’ve often thought their home deserved a spread in Architectural Digest but nobody needs 4000 false hampsteads lying around, that’s more like Police Gazette :o.
Come to think of it, I don't know what a grouse looks like either :|. Worse than tinned asparagus tips must be brussels sprouts, or worse still, mustard greens...blech!

No worries! Yes, in the last two seasons, the house does actually look as if it is slightly less dilapidated-- I like to assume that's because they did use some of the money from their scheme in Without Prejudice to make needed repairs. :) One detail from the films I noticed was they suddenly acquired an indoor khazi!

As Albert starts to describe to Harold before receiving the death-glare and trailing off, a grouse is a small bird, related to a pheasant but without the long tail. Sometimes they are called 'partridges'.
spikespark

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:43 pm

spikespark wrote: :) One detail from the films I noticed was they suddenly acquired an indoor khazi!

And in the Ajax adverts, they acquired a stainless steel sink and a refridgerator that fell off a lorry.
"...Finders keepers." The residue Albert left in the bath, horizontal lines as the water receded, it’s like a cross section of a tree! Those baths would estimate Albert’s age more accurately than carbon dating ever could :roll:.
Have you seen the Ajax adverts? They're really quite funny :D.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby spikespark » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:54 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
spikespark wrote: :) One detail from the films I noticed was they suddenly acquired an indoor khazi!

And in the Ajax adverts, they acquired a stainless steel sink and a refridgerator that fell off a lorry.
"...Finders keepers." The residue Albert left in the bath, horizontal lines as the water receded, it’s like a cross section of a tree! Those baths would estimate Albert’s age more accurately than carbon dating ever could :roll:.
Have you seen the Ajax adverts? They're really quite funny :D.

Yes! I love Harold's smirk as he mutters 'finders, keepers' after Albert points out the fridge fell off the back off a lorry.

It was a stroke of genius to use them as spokespeople for any kind of cleaning product. I also love when Harold cheerfully touts the various wonders of the Ajax products and then growls to Albert that they need to use both on him. It's said very quickly and I didn't catch it the first time I watched the clip.

By the Ajax days they have moved up in the world with their indoor bath and khazi, the final step in their skyward climb is the Kenco Coffee advert where they're in a penthouse with a lovely art collection!
spikespark

Next

Return to The knobs are on my side