Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

why oh why

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: why oh why

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:54 am

spikespark wrote:...a stroke of genius to use them as spokespeople...By the Ajax days they have moved up in the world...the final step in their skyward climb is the Kenco Coffee advert where they're in a penthouse with a lovely art collection!

“I brought Abigail home for a very quick demitasse.”
“....You dirty little devil.”
“That’s a coffee!!” :lol:.
And while Harold brews, Albert shows her his “cigarette cards” :roll:.
What is Albert gonna do with a woman a foot taller than he is? She’d suffocate him :shock:.
...but what a way to go, yeah? Cor :D.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby spikespark » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:10 am

One example of an advert that was too short! They squeezed a lot of humour into that 41 seconds.

"Strange beast!"

"That's my father!"

I loved that they still had a horse-- just one painted by Stubbs, this time. Apparently Harold finally managed to cash in on one of his finds on the round after he got back from that holiday in Bognor! Either that, or one of Albert's tax fiddles, football pools, premium bonds, or other financial schemes paid off.

And yes, it was hilarious to see Albert with his arm around the woman about a foot taller than he was. Well, he did like a big girl.
spikespark

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:47 pm

spikespark wrote:...Albert...did like a big girl.

Not just Albert, he was on the right tack there :wink:.
Can't imagine why anyone would want to snuggle an ironing board.
They aint no fun, I had me one :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ivor Biggun » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:19 pm

Hush. You weren't supposed to notice that. :mrgreen:
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:55 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Can't imagine why anyone would want to snuggle an ironing board. They aint no fun, I had me one :o.

Ivor Biggun wrote:Hush. You weren't supposed to notice that. :mrgreen:

“Weren’t supposed to notice”?
What.....like it was meant to be a surprise?
The splinters should’ve been a clue I know but we were all of us only young.
Everybody knew what dry cleaning was but who could afford it?
For the longest time the only trouser press I’d seen was the music magazine: http://www.trouserpress.com/ :o.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:26 pm

spikespark wrote:
Yes! I love Harold's smirk as he mutters 'finders, keepers' after Albert points out the fridge fell off the back off a lorry.

It was a stroke of genius to use them as spokespeople for any kind of cleaning product. I also love when Harold cheerfully touts the various wonders of the Ajax products and then growls to Albert that they need to use both on him. It's said very quickly and I didn't catch it the first time I watched the clip.

By the Ajax days they have moved up in the world with their indoor bath and khazi, the final step in their skyward climb is the Kenco Coffee advert where they're in a penthouse with a lovely art collection!

I'm sure the Thatcher years would have buggered them up as well as they did to the rest of the country!! I always got the impression Harold was lying about them in the advert, and that was the whole point.

My favourite in-joke in the Ajax ads is when Albert says "That ugly Maureen bird" and Harold says "She's not ugly"... Maureen was of course the name of Harry's wife, who I believe was on set at the time. No doubt a good natured ribbing from Wilfrid (who got along with Maureen really well by all accounts". Harry's "she's not ugly" is brilliant!

P.S. Getting back to the original thread, I think the tins of snails were for the Bear. After all, he grew and grew, he was eating something.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby neilold » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:10 am

weird! i come back to this thread after two years away and one of my few threads from previous is near the top of the list. wtf! anyway, i don't believe he did do it just to vex Harold, because he wouldn't have given up the chance to enjoy a good blowout for free in the chinese, what i mean is he wouldn't have taken it that far for that reason
neilold

Previous

Return to The knobs are on my side