Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Harold and the recent election

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Harold and the recent election

Postby Ivor Biggun » Fri May 15, 2015 5:32 pm

So what do you think Harold's reaction would have been to the Tories sweeping the recent election? I think it would be something like this.

I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Re: Harold and the recent election

Postby Uncle Nobby » Sat May 16, 2015 11:32 am

Probably seeing as how his dad votes Tory.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun May 17, 2015 11:01 am

Ivor Biggun wrote:So what do you think Harold's reaction would have been to the Tories sweeping the recent election? I think it would be something like this.

Anybody would react the same way, what with a vulture gloating over them much of the time.
In this instance Albert provides a more interesting case study. Whereas Harold is clearly well meaning but politically naive, Albert delights in being willfully ignorant, and that’s far worse. Wish we could get him on that “Loathe Story” psychiatrist’s sofa, chances are shrink and Albert both would be scribbling naughty illustrations, critiquing each other’s work, giggling :roll:.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Sun May 17, 2015 4:48 pm

I agree with Billy Connolly "Don't vote it just encourages them " :)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Ivor Biggun » Tue May 19, 2015 5:36 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ivor Biggun wrote:So what do you think Harold's reaction would have been to the Tories sweeping the recent election? I think it would be something like this.

Anybody would react the same way, what with a vulture gloating over them much of the time.
In this instance Albert provides a more interesting case study. Whereas Harold is clearly well meaning but politically naive, Albert delights in being willfully ignorant, and that’s far worse. Wish we could get him on that “Loathe Story” psychiatrist’s sofa, chances are shrink and Albert both would be scribbling naughty illustrations, critiquing each other’s work, giggling :roll:.

I don't think he's as willfully ignorant as you think he is. The rag and bone trade relies on people constantly buying new things and discarding the old ones. If the economy is bad, people will make do with what they have and put off buying anything new which means less trade for the rag and bone men. Expanding the economy and creating jobs is a plank in the platform of right wing parties the world over. Albert votes Conservative because he knows it means more money for him in the long run because his customers will also have more money to spend.

Another thing to remember is that in the episode where Harold wanted to run for the council but was overruled by the Labour party agent, Albert said he'd vote for Harold in spite of him being Labour because he thought it would mean lucrative contracts for the business. That shows some political savvy, at least.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue May 19, 2015 12:12 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:I don't think he's as willfully ignorant as you think he is. The rag and bone trade relies on people constantly buying new things and discarding the old ones. If the economy is bad, people will make do with what they have and put off buying anything new which means less trade for the rag and bone men. Expanding the economy and creating jobs is a plank in the platform of right wing parties the world over. Albert votes Conservative because he knows it means more money for him in the long run because his customers will also have more money to spend.
Another thing to remember is that in the episode where Harold wanted to run for the council but was overruled by the Labour party agent, Albert said he'd vote for Harold in spite of him being Labour because he thought it would mean lucrative contracts for the business. That shows some political savvy, at least.

Well, that’s one reason (of many) why Ray and Alan’s scripts are so brilliant, everybody gets to laugh regardless of their beliefs. I would beg to differ on a few points though. “My Old Man’s A Tory” is an episode I know quite well, and Albert saying he’d vote for Harold on the Labour ticket doesn’t show “political savvy” (cynicism more like), as the dialog given to Wilfrid makes quite clear, it was a reflection of Albert’s greed. Also, Harold wasn’t “overruled”,
he voluntarily withdrew his candidature, which is entirely different. Albert is willfully ignorant, as mentioned in the same episode he wasn’t actually a member of the Tory party and hadn’t voted since Baldwin. To form a character study of the old man based exclusively on party politics fails to take into account his behavior much of the time. Throughout Steptoe, Albert is frequently contrary regardless of any concern for rational thinking because it gives him self worth, basic human psychology. Another example, in “Tea For Two” the Tory party representatives that windup Albert, they only hope to find a photo-op for Ted Heath and are scarcely able to contain their disdain, are we to interpret that as concern for the impoverished? Unlikely. Mind you, depictions of the Labour party weren’t any more flattering. And please, let's not forget that Steptoe is a fiction.
In any case, since this is neither a political nor religious* forum, I politely withdraw from the subject.
Enjoyed chatting though :D.
*Unless you’re Pagan. Got to admire those folks, dancing around Stonehenge in sub-zero temperatures with nothing but a cotton shift on, COLD!!! :shock:
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Return to The knobs are on my side