Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

cheap thrill

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

cheap thrill

Postby neilold » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:07 am

in the last ever episode you see a picture of harolds mother in her younger days on the sideboard. Did Galton and simpson do this to finally give you a reveal of her, and as sort of a little joke that you never see her face in any other episode? Or is it just coincidence? if it wasn't, i actually think it detracts from the mystery of her and is a cheap one episode wonder kinda spoiler in an episode that didn't need it
neilold

Re: cheap thrill

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:20 am

Now you should mention it. We never actually saw Harold's mother did we (although heard in in Seance in a Wet Rag & Bone Yard), or his father who were both mentioned in conversation, but never seen also in any past/dream sequence? Good point though.
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby bob » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:37 am

Remember the picture of Harold's grandfather turned out to be Gladstone !!

If Albert played the same trick with his wife it could be a picture of anybody. I nominate Ethel Le Neve !!! Any other candidates ?
bob
Site Admin

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:46 pm

bob wrote:Remember the picture of Harold's grandfather turned out to be Gladstone !!

If Albert played the same trick with his wife it could be a picture of anybody. I nominate Ethel Le Neve !!! Any other candidates ?

Indeed, and duly noted as we all know in the classic 1974 Christmas episode finale in which we all find out ( and Harold to his despair) that it was Ma Steptoe who founded Steptoe & Son not Pa Steptoe who was alleged to have been the infamous Muffin Man of Shepard Bush and Oil Drum lane's very own cake Casanova.
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat May 20, 2017 12:10 pm

bob wrote:Remember the picture of Harold's grandfather turned out to be Gladstone !!
If Albert played the same trick with his wife it could be a picture of anybody. I nominate Ethel Le Neve !!!
Any other candidates ?

The photo of Mrs Steptoe on Harold’s desk (Seance In A Wet Rag and Bone Yard) is an oddity. She reminds me of beautiful silent film star Louise Brooks, a flapper that sported a bob (coincidentally enough) placing the photo in the 1920’s but she also looks like a young teacher, which is perfect. The odd bit is, the photo was clearly altered. Right cheek/chin crudely erased, maybe the photographer was trying to be artistic or BBC hoped to conceal her identity. And her neck was stretched to heron length, bringing to mind a young Katherine Hepburn. Or Tamsin Greig :o.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Return to The knobs are on my side