Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

The Steptoe movies...

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:23 am

Don't forget, the films were made to also appeal to audiences which did not have the show, so it did not matter if they had 'stand alone' events like the marriage. Same with why so many sitcom films copied skethches, and why the 'Dads Army' one stars at the beginning of the war... they're not intended to be continuous from the series.

I too prefer the second film.
PhilGlass

Postby thrupnybit » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:14 pm

I also prefer the second.

I like the part where H comes home drunk with the dog, then in the morning Albert goes 'You want your head examined', to which H replies ' I wish i could have it CHANGED at the moment'. Always raises a grin. :)
Russ

'Why would I want to touch your thrupnybits for, I got thrupnybits o... of me own...'
thrupnybit

THE STEPTOE MOVIES

Postby harold » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:54 pm

IN THE SECOND MOVIE WHEN THEY RACE THE DOG THE SECOND TIME IS THAT GEOFFREY HUGHES STANDING NEXT TO HAROLD
harold

Postby thatsthatthen » Sat May 10, 2008 8:22 pm

Let's be honest...
...both films are pretty disappointing; but Ride Again is less embarrassing.

The mannequin scene is memorable (and appropriately macabre) and I do like the tension where we think Albert might not wake up and actually be buried alive.

But it doesn't come close to the pathos, drama and humour of the series episodes. It's not done for laughs either.

It's clearly a cynical way to cash in on the reputation of the series.

Thankfully the two DVDs owere less than a fiver!
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Postby Rian » Sat May 10, 2008 8:28 pm

i would have to disagree with you and say that it was not dissapointing,i just think that around that time the next step up from a popular sitcom was to go to the big screen.Although i think other tv shows turned into movies turned out to be embarrassing
After watching "Are You Being Sereved-Movie" i was put off from the series until watching series 1 and finding it 100 times better than the movie.
Rian

THE STEPTOE MOVIES

Postby harold » Wed May 28, 2008 8:50 pm

MANY TIMES HERE IN THE STATES THEY MAKE A MOVIE OF A TELLY SHOW AND DO NOT USE THE ACTORS THAT WERE IN THE SHOW I HEARD THAT THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE A SANFORD AND SON MOVIE WHICH TO ME IS NOT NEEDED STEPTOE AND SON WAS THE ORIGINAL AND THE BEST
harold

Postby juliluli » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:26 am

my favourite is steptoe and son ride again, i ve seen that film about 40 times and it always makes me laugh, you cant say that about many films, the bit where the woman pulls the carpet from under Alberts feet when they are selling the house up has me in stitches,
juliluli

Postby bob » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:12 pm

Hello juliluli
Welcome to the forum. I agree about the "Ride Again" movie. It was very fashionalbe for TV shows to be made into films. In my view most of them didn't work, the ride again movie is just brilliant and you could watch it even if you had never heard of Steptoe.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

THE STEPTOE MOVIES ...

Postby harold » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:45 pm

I AGREE RIDE AGAIN IS A GREAT MOVIE TO ME IT WAS MORE LIKE THE TELLY SHOW THEN THE OTHER ONE WELCOME TO ALL WHO RECENTLY JOINED THE FORUM
harold

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:14 pm

'Ride Again' is my favourite.

People often comment about how different everything looks - don't forget, in the series the house and yard were in a studio, with the 'fourth wall' missing and recorded on a 3 camera set up, mixed as it happened.

The movies were recorded in a real house and a real yard - movies are always recorded on ONE camera, each scene then done three or four times, each time from a different angle, then edited together. This allowed them to use a real house and yard and not a studio, therefore they are different. The official site has the actual location of the house they used.

This is similar to why the 'quality' changes on certain scenes in the series - for example, divided we stand - the scene in the 'bog' looks different because it was filmed on a film camera - as were all the location shots (except the yard which was not outside), as was the end fight sequence to 'The Seven Steptorai' which took much longer to film. These film sequences are usually then shown to the audience during the filming of the rest of the show and then the laughter is recorded. With most modern shows, however, the laughter on these is simply added, hence the term 'canned' laughter.

I just thought I'd spread a bit of light onto why the films lok so different.... though what is up with the shape of Harodl's sideburns in the second film?? What happened there is a mystery to anyone!!!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:10 pm

OOOHHHHH What is the sideburn issue Phil ??????
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:46 pm

Do you not think he looks a bit strange, Bob? Usually he has these big lambchops that go down but they look like a caterpillar crawling toward his mouth on 'Rid eAgain'...

Wow, I MUST get out more...
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:41 pm

Sadly it was all the fashion in the 70's, even Albert grew a fairly decent pair.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Jojo » Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:52 pm

I always enjoy both movies, but the sequel always get's more laughs out of me & the missus. The greyhound trying on the specs... LOL!

I read that 'Ride Again' was a commercial flop in the cinemas when released. Maybe due to the fact that the general public may have thought it was a re-showing of the first one.
up yer pipe!
Jojo

The steptoe movies

Postby steve sheffield » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:28 pm

Love both films- but yes , Ride again probably just shades it. The last 5 mins where Albert is about to be burried alive-classic. Albert wakes up and comes out of the coffin-to which everyone passes out or runs off, then the vicar see's Harold stalking about like a white zombie and also flakes out!!! If you fail to laugh at that there is something wrong with you!!!
In the other film though it still has good points. I've already mentioned some great one liners like "she's on the nest with old oily" but what about when Albert decides to go to the strippers with Harold. Albert excitedly says " I hope they're not skinny birds, I like big birds, big walnut crushers CORR" :lol:
steve sheffield

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side