Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

The Steptoe movies...

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby Zita! » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi there,i'm a newbie,had to join to make my opinion count in the 'movies' section and be the first to say that the FIRST film is my fave,infact would be in my top 5 all time fave films!Love the way that this is part drama,part comedy and great acting from all involved,yes the second one plays it for laughs but I just love the 'seriousness' of the first,as a collector,was wondering if the '89 Warner Video Releases were the first issues of the films,then to my surprise I got an early EMI Thorn release of the first film off e-bay last week(waiting for it to arrive)Does anybody know if Ride Again had an early video release? :)
Zita!

Postby steve sheffield » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:55 pm

hi zita, sorry I don't know, bob is prob gonna know.
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby bob » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:04 am

Hi All

Actually I have no idea, so sorry I can't help.

It is nice to find somebody who preferrs the first film, for me the second is much better. Its much darker and more authentic Steptoe.

Are there any others out there who prefer the first film ?

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby Zita! » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:50 pm

Hello all,my copy of this film arrived yesterday,wish I could share the sleeve with you all but hav'nt a clue how to post photo's i'm afraid!Anyway,it's a pre-cert video released by EMI,there's a pic of Albert,Harold and Zita in thier wedding gear on the front,and just a full page synopsis on the back,a pity there's no release date of the video to be found anywhere but am guessing must be the early 80's as there's no certificate but it's vhs(not beta)Would like to find any early vhs of Ride Again too if one was made? :?

Still can't believe i'm the only fan that prefers the first film to the second!Just love the whole feel of the first film and think it has a much better script,I also find the first film funnier than the second,even tho the first dos'nt play for laughs as much as the second,but hey,always nice to have a difference of opinion! :wink:
Zita!

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:03 pm

Zita

It's good that you prefer the first film. Although I prefer the second the first film has some briliant moments, like Albert pulling the transvestite and Haroldf discovering the baby is black.

However, to me is is too much of a comedy film - I know that sounds silly as Steptoe was a sitcom but the second film I feel takes us back to the early episodes with its dark, black humour

But wouldn't it be a boring world if we all liked the same stuff? I'm glad you enjoy the first film more, and this is the one website where you can have opposing views and no-one minds. :)
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:44 am

Glad you feel that way about the forum Phil.

I think listening to others ideas and views helps establish and strengthen your own views.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby Zita! » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:26 pm

Yep,still prefer the first film,watched it(yet)again the other day,never tire of this one,still find the first 30mins hilarious,anyone else notice how Albert's facial hair seems to appear and re-appear in many scenes,he's cleanly shaven when they're getting ready to go out to the strip club,then when they get there he has a full face of hair,there is another scene(can't remember which)when the same thing happens again-bad continuity I guess...
Zita!

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:46 am

Has anyone else noticed the other regular Steptoe character who doesn't appear in any of the films? The bear is there, the skeleton is, but where is Charlie Steptoe, the goldfish? He's not in either of them....

Also, why do we have Delilah in the first and Hercules The Magic Horse in the second? lol.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby count orlok » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:46 pm

I prefer the second.

I must say however that the first film is just about the worst material ever put out under the Steptoe and Son banner.

It just isn't funny at all really. Thank god the leads are there to save it from being a total disaster.
count orlok

Postby steve sheffield » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:25 am

I really like looking for now and then photographs of old tv and film stars. This led to me looking for Carolyn seymour the actress that played Zita in the film.
There are some really good photos and information on her on wikipedia.
She has been involved in lots of tv and films either acting or voice-overs.
She has starred in lots of the old american tv series like "Hart to Hart" and " Cagney and Lacey" and " Magnum P.I" plus " Star trek the next generation"
Very interesting to see what she's been involved in.
In real life Carolyn has short hair, and not the long golden hair or blonde bubble perm ( obviously wigs) that she played in as Zita!
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby callous_little_bleeder » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:04 am

bob wrote:Are there any others out there who prefer the first film ?

I prefer the first film by miles. I find it to be a lot more funnier than Ride Again and I really like the story.

Zita! wrote:Anyway,it's a pre-cert video released by EMI,there's a pic of Albert,Harold and Zita in thier wedding gear on the front,and just a full page synopsis on the back,a pity there's no release date of the video to be found anywhere but am guessing must be the early 80's as there's no certificate but it's vhs(not beta)

I'm guessing 1982. Thorn EMI did a whole bunch of those back then and I think Steptoe would've been one of the first releases given its popularity in the UK.

steve sheffield wrote:This led to me looking for Carolyn seymour the actress that played Zita in the film.
There are some really good photos and information on her on wikipedia.
She has been involved in lots of tv and films either acting or voice-overs.
She has starred in lots of the old american tv series like "Hart to Hart" and " Cagney and Lacey" and " Magnum P.I" plus " Star trek the next generation"
Very interesting to see what she's been involved in.
In real life Carolyn has short hair, and not the long golden hair or blonde bubble perm ( obviously wigs) that she played in as Zita!

I'm still in shock that she plays Doctor Chakwas in the videogame series Mass Effect. I play those games often and had no idea it was her. Here's a YouTube video of a cutscene from Mass Effect 2 that features Carolyn. I think you'll agree she's got quite a sexy voice these days.
callous_little_bleeder

Postby Bombay Shytehawk » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:33 am

I used to enjoy Rides Again more but nowadays I have a taste for the first movie. It plays like a gritty Ken Loach drama. With laughs. The scene with a bloodied Harold at the end is very shocking and daring, I think.
"I'll kill him! I'll kill him! Get him out of here!!!"
Bombay Shytehawk

Postby bob » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Welcome to the forum Shytehawk !!!

I love the bit in the first movie when the baby in the stable is visited by the three tramps.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:13 pm

I can't decide which of the two films is my favorite,both have classic scenes in them,the fried egg sliding off the spatula then being picked up and put on Harolds plate in the first one has me in stitches,in the second one the arrival of Dr Popplewell is hilarious!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

the steptoe movies

Postby harold » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:42 pm

my favorite scence is in ride again when harold taps on the window with the head welcome bombay shytehawk keep posting
A TOTTER 4 EVER
harold

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side