Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

The Steptoe movies...

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: the steptoe movies

Postby steve sheffield » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:33 pm

harold wrote:my favorite scence is in ride again when harold taps on the window with the head welcome bombay shytehawk keep posting

"GIVE ME MY BODY BACK"

Dad? Daaaaaad!

Piss myself every time I see the bit where they are trying to fiddle Alberts death and the insurance man ( captain peacock ) walks up the yard. On seeing him Albert put's his thumb up. :lol:
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby ianb » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:23 pm

The second film 'Ride Again' is the classic film - the first film has its moments but just drags in the end and is too downbeat.
ianb

Postby bob » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:40 am

The first film did what a lot TV shows did when they went to the big screee and placed our heros outside of their normal environment.

The second film is set in the heart of Oil Drum Lane and the business and is therefore all the better for it.
bob
Site Admin

Postby steve sheffield » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:38 am

Just watching steptoe and son ride again (AGAIN lol) and it's the bit where the horse and carts are going to the cemetary. Just before the Pickfords removal lorry opens it's door and hits harold on the bonce, there is a young lad that cleary waves to the camera as the carts pass by. He's on the pavement to the right hand side. Wonder if he knew prior to the event, or if it was sheer look he happened to be there. I'd guess the lad looks about 10 years old and would be either late 40's to early 50's as the film was made in 1973. Imagine seeing yourself on film!!!!
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Re: The Steptoe movies...

Postby CurriedGoolies » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:29 pm

"She's not coming is she? She's blown you out!"

I wonder who 'Johnnie Jay the Odeon groper' was?
DEHHHH!
CurriedGoolies

Postby Elbolsa » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:47 pm

Hi all,
Ride again has always been my favourite.I can watch it time and time again.I am just working out how i am going to cut my montage for the film.(i've been doing this for 18 months or more!)I have the first 15 actors as listed in the film credits,plus G&S.The biggest problem that i have is keeping it to a sensible size.When i have eventually done it,i will post it for everyone to see.All the best Elbolsa
Elbolsa

Postby Hennyfink » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:06 pm

The first is my favourite.....1972 was a fine year. :D
Hennyfink

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Hennyfink wrote:The first is my favourite.....1972 was a fine year. :D

Hi Hennyfink, great username!!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Hennyfink » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:10 am

Cheers....wanted something a bit unusual. :o
Hennyfink

Postby Dolly Clackett » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:19 am

Both films are good but the 2nd is proper Steptoe and Son, The start has me in stiches everytime and Frankie Barrow adds loads to it as well. Harold he's done it up me leg :D
Dolly Clackett

Postby Tinman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:29 pm

This has probably said before but Alberts voice seemed different in the first film.
Tinman

Postby Ivor Biggun » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:44 am

The problem with film adaptations of television programmes is that they spend a great deal of the film recycling all the gags they used in the series.They also remove the main characters from the settings where you are used to seeing them and put them in unfamiliar locations. The plots are also typically weak because the writers have already used all their best ideas for television and have run out of fresh stories. I had high hopes for the On the Buses films and the Porridge film, but was really let down by them. The Steptoe films didn't meet my expectations, either. Some ideas are best expressed on the small screen rather than the big one.

The recycled joke thing also happens when a writer from one programme or film moves to another and they expect that you won't notice. Talbot Rothwell wrote for both the Carry On films and for Up, Pompeii! and almost every joke he wrote for Carry On appears in it at some point. And speaking of Up, Pompeii! that brings us to another disappointing film adaptation. The only high point was Rita Webb as Cassandra the soothsayer. Everything else was recycled gags and Frankie Howerd camping it up to the max to distract you from how awful everything else in the film was.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:06 pm

Tinman wrote:This has probably said before but Alberts voice seemed different in the first film.

This is just the way it is recorded. A film would have been recorded with higher definition of sound, and sound is recorded on to separate reels than the film. It's just the way it seems, Wilfrid's voice comes out like this on many films when he does the same accent.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Tinman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:12 pm

Thanks for that PhilGlass.

Steptoe and Son Ride Again is being shown on Sunday night at 11.50pm ITV3.
Tinman

Postby Uncle Nobby » Thu May 14, 2015 7:39 am

I liked the second one best.

The only thing is that the relationship isn't true to the telly. In the second one there is no antagonism between Albert and Harold.
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Previous

Return to The knobs are on my side