Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Those magnificent men

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Those magnificent men

Postby bob » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:32 am

The episode poll has been running for a couple of months now (not sure if there is a small error in the code !!!)

I am surprised that the episode that is currently in the front by some distance is “Those Magnificent Men and their Heating Machines”.

Before the poll, I can’t recall anybody coming on to the forum and saying this was their favourite. Of course there may be a loan regular voter out there, who casts a vote for this one each week (no problem with that).

Is this episode a classic that we tend to overlook ?
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:27 pm

I watched this episode the other night there is a scene near the end when they are siting in the kitchen under umberellas, some plaster falls on Harold and he has to stilfle a laugh :)
Archie

Postby Jojo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:23 am

It's one of my favorites from the 60's, that's for sure.

ya great bleedin' pillock! :lol:
up yer pipe!
Jojo

Postby Rian » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:54 pm

Yes one of my favourite episodes of all time
Rian

Postby Jojo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:15 am

One I can relate to, I remember living in a terraced house in my youth with no central heating nor an inside WC. No global warming in those days - winters meant snow and ice! So I view these episodes with a tinge of personal nostalgia and can experience the delights and pitfalls of the main characters when things don't go to plan.
up yer pipe!
Jojo

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:17 am

Asking me to pick a favourite is like asking a parent to pick their favourite child, but this is one that I find myself watching quite often.
PhilGlass

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:49 am

Of course, Phil, your parents (anybody's parents) will have one (a favourite), but they won't tell you that... :D They shouldn't, of course, but many do, I suspect...

BTW, Heating Machines is a fav of mine... So is Divided We Stand. As I remember this episode in particular, when I was a mere kid...

PhilGlass wrote:Asking me to pick a favourite is like asking a parent to pick their favourite child, but this is one that I find myself watching quite often.
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby Archie » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:06 pm

The Pixel Surgeon wrote:Of course, Phil, your parents (anybody's parents) will have one (a favourite), but they won't tell you that... :D They shouldn't, of course, but many do, I suspect...

I watched the Johnny Cash story 'Walk The Line' a couple of weeks ago. There is a powerful scene where his brother gets killed by a circular saw and Johnny's drunkard father rages "Why couldn't it have been you that got killed" :(
Archie

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:12 pm

Im an only chid, Pixel, so it's between me and the dog lol.

It is a great little episode, I personally prefer the later ones, or find myself watching them more anyway, series 5 onward, but I love those old ones too. Series 3 and 4 had some of the funniest episodes!
PhilGlass

Postby thrupnybit » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:06 am

Hello all!

I love it when he says the line, 'locked in a coal-hole, and dying of a surfeit of whelks'.
His delivery of lines... what can one say, unique. :D
thrupnybit

Postby count orlok » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:19 pm

I actually wrote a review for this website explaining why it's the best episode of the 60's and quite possibly of all.
count orlok

Return to The knobs are on my side