Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

I wonder..

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

I wonder..

Postby Albie » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:53 pm

What happend to all the props used for the show including the clothing etc.. was it auctioned at any point or just destroyed??
Albie

Postby Rian » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:08 pm

yes i was thinking that too after watching "curse of steptoe" as obviosuly that was not the orignal set,
Rian

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:16 am

Some of the original'junk came from antique shops, but there were of course 2 steptoe sets for the series... look at series 8 carefully - it had a big makeover - the pattern in the living room door is totally different, from the 'block' pattern to a dark purple one and so are the yard gates... on 'The Seven Steptoria', the yard is in a cul-de-sac and no other houses are anywhere in sight.

TV companies do not store sets, they re=-create them when it comes to filming a new series.

Other changes - the 'bog' changes from a stone room to a wooden one, and the earuly ones have a door behind the stairs which is never used and we never find out where it goes, then it disappears later!

Also, in some of series 8 look VERY carefully - on the episodes where the stairs are not used, you will see that there is no exit that way - it is closed off - you have to look VERY carefully, also in this series there is very little junk in the yard (the one which has moved location!!) and the living room is smaller. Also the cupboard in the kitchen 'appears'.
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:52 pm

According to the book the stuffed bear was in a pub in cornwall I think ? for several years. It was later sold at auction.
The set in 'Murder In Oil Drum Lane' was amazing they had everything from the barometer to the bear.

I was puzzled at the door behind the stair where did it go :?:
Archie

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:49 pm

There's more than one bear - I noticed this from the DVD set - in the early ones, ie Pilgrims Progress (just this cos its the one I noticed it on), the Bear is slightly smaller than Albert when Albert stands, on the final episode, the bear is huge, much bigger than Harold. Maybe it was alive and grew!
PhilGlass

Return to The knobs are on my side