Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Harry in 'Grundy' 1980... anyone?

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Harry in 'Grundy' 1980... anyone?

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:50 pm

I'm trying to find out about this series but the internet seems to know very little... Harry starred in 1 series of this and if anybody has any episodes on vide, please let me know. Thanks.
PhilGlass

Postby Graham_S nli » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:57 pm

Phil,

Unfortunately I can't help with a vid of this series. I can give a little background on it as I actually remember watching it at the time....

Harry played from what I can recall a grumpy old git whose love interest was a lady called Beryl played by "Open All Hours" stalwart Lynda Barron.

I've never seen it repeated since...

I've never seen it offered on VHS video and the cost of a VHS video recorder at the time was beyond most average families when it was shown....

Sorry to put a downer on your request...
Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:47 pm

Thanks Graham.

It's harder to find than a diamond ring in the Steptoes' junk yard! I have always been a big fan of Harry away from Steptoe too and this is the one thing nobody has!

Cheers anyway, I thought I'd try here as it seems one of the most likely places! I was born the year after it was shown so I never even saw it the first time (I am 26). I've always wanted to see it. Who knows, one day who ever owns the rights might actually do something with it... yeah right...

All the best.
Phil
PhilGlass

Re: Harry in 'Grundy' 1980... anyone?

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:29 pm

Phil ******* Glass... You've all got him to thanks for this...

PhilGlass wrote:I'm trying to find out about this series but the internet seems to know very little... Harry starred in 1 series of this and if anybody has any episodes on vide, please let me know. Thanks.

A little treat...

...and what follows, is probably all any of us, are ever likely to see, from this series - so enjoy... :D

BTW, it’s in MPEG4 format, so a QuickTime plug-in (or something similar) for your browser, will be needed to view online...
Last edited by The Pixel Surgeon on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby Graham_S nli » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:37 pm

Pixel,

Haven't a clue how you got hold of this little taster....

Shame we possibly will never see anymore but thanks very much for your efforts...

Peeps...

Techno tip...

You can right click the link and save the target as a download especially as sometime in the future the link may not exist anymore...

Also there's a bit of software on the net called "SUPER" (Simplified Universal Player Encoder & Renderer) from the attached URL"erightsoft.com website"... It can change mp4's to avi's etc... Also best of all it's absolutely FREE...
Graham
Graham_S nli

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:08 pm

Any more?? Thanks for that, it's brilliant, I'd be happy to pay someone top dollar for any video episodes of the series.

Until then, thanks for this, It's much appreicated!
PhilGlass

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:54 pm

PhilGlass wrote:Any more?? Thanks for that, it's brilliant, I'd be happy to pay someone top dollar for any video episodes of the series.

Until then, thanks for this, It's much appreicated!

Unfortunately not - at the moment, at least...

However, it might be possible, to get hold of (at least) some, if not all, of the series - but it will cost - and as you say, probably "top dollar ".

If I find I can..., then maybe some of us here, can club together to make it happen...?
Last edited by The Pixel Surgeon on Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby Archie » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:27 pm

I couldn't get it to work and I have a new computer packed with all kinds of fangled software :cry:

EDIT - It has appeared in my downloaded youtube video file :!:
Bleeding modern technology you have to be a scientist to understand it :twisted:

I don't remember watching Grundy and as a Steptoe fan I would have watched it. Was it shown in Scotland I wonder :?:
Archie

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:34 pm

Archie wrote:I couldn't get it to work and I have a new computer packed with all kinds of fangled software :cry:

EDIT - It has appeared in my downloaded youtube video file :!:
Bleeding modern technology you have to be a scientist to understand it :twisted:

I don't remember watching Grundy and as a Steptoe fan I would have watched it. Was it shown in Scotland I wonder :?:

Glad you finally got to see it...

As for whether it was show in Scotland, would depend on whether it was networked, which I don't personally know... But maybe someone here, does?
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby thatsthatthen » Thu May 15, 2008 10:57 pm

Archie

I had a weird experience when I downloaded the Grundy clip. I remembered it. I'm in Scotland too so it must have been shown here. It was on ITV. I think he was a newsagent. He complained a lot.
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Postby Archie » Fri May 16, 2008 5:51 pm

The only things I can remember Harry H in is 'Shoestring' and the motorbike race movie 'Silver Dream Racer'.

He was also in a 'Tales Of the Unexpeded' episode called 'The Moles' :o
Archie

Postby thatsthatthen » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:40 pm

Hey Archie

Popped into the library today as they had a book sale. Got a huge biog of Tony Hancock by Cliff Goodwin.

Then I had a swatch at their DVDs.
They had series five of Tales of the Unexpected.
That's the one with The Moles!

Couldn't believe it.

I can at last stop checking the ITV3 schedules every week to see if it's being repeated.

It's got 17 other episodes on it, some of which I remember like Operation Safecrack with John Mills and Stranger in Town with Derek Jacobi.

Classic. TV heaven!
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Postby britcoms » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:08 pm

Interestingly, the Alf Garnett ATV series 'Till Death..." from 1980 turned up on certain Bit Torrent sites recently, so don't give up hope that Grundy won't find itself on there, as Till Death... was obviously a broadcast TV rip, as the episodes contained Yorkshire TV captions onto an ATV logo.
britcoms

Postby Jojo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:46 pm

I do have memories of this series. I'm sure there was a large feature about it in an edition of the TV Times and I remember the publicity promo's for it on ITV, with it's somewhat drab signature tune.

My parents were huge Steptoe fans, but upon realizing Aitch's attempt to finally rid himself of his comedy persona, made them and just about the rest of the UK switch over in droves.
up yer pipe!
Jojo

Re: Harry in 'Grundy' 1980... anyone?

Postby CurriedGoolies » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:34 pm

I vaguely remember a couple of episodes. The Grundy character was so unsympathetic it made the programmes virtually unwatchable.
DEHHHH!
CurriedGoolies

Next

Return to The knobs are on my side