Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Harry in 'Grundy' 1980... anyone?

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: Harry in 'Grundy' 1980... anyone?

Postby PhilGlass » Tue May 01, 2012 8:57 pm

The problem with Grundy is 2 fold..

It was made in 1979 and was NOT his last sitcom... Potter was filmed after it but ITV strikes kept Grundy off the TV for a while. After filming Episode 1, Harry had a major heart attack. We can then understand perhaps a lethargic or uninterested performance afterwards.

Secondly... it was his last shown sitcom. WHoever the star, people criticise their last work, mostly without seeing it. People say "Trippers Day" was Leonard Rossiter's worst work just because it was his last when 2 more series had been commisioned on the strength of the first 2 episodes (they were later made with Bruce Forsyth after Rossiter died) but people seem to think if its someones last work then its rubbish.

I haven't seen Grundy, only a short 1 minute clip, which is impossible to judge by so I can not comment, but I bet if it wasn't his "last" work then people would favour it much better.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Re: Harry in 'Grundy' 1980... anyone?

Postby Dolly Clackett » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:30 am

i do remember there being a clip of Grundy on it will be alright on the night i vaguely recall Harry was with Lynda Baron trying to open a window.
Dolly Clackett

Previous

Return to The knobs are on my side