Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

cockney rhyming slang!

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby winstonlegthigh » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:12 pm

Actually, like all forms of slang, Cockney is continually evolving. Old terms fall out of use when their meaning becomes obscured by time like if an old term referred to a famous person who is no longer recognized in the modern age, then the rhyme becomes meaningless so something new has to be created to replace it. The changing culture of an area also changes the slang. How many white Cockneys actually still live in the areas that are traditionally associated with them these days? They're all from the West Indies and Muslim countries in those parts now so references from white British culture are meaningless to them. There's probably not much left from the 60's and 70's Cockney that's still in use today.

I see what you mean but at the same time i don't think the original terms become meaningless, its just less people know where they came from and the meaning behind them. For example, i've been Iron for Poof since i was a kid, never knew what it meant til quite recently and if i hadn't been of an inquisitive inclination i probably would never have. Same with loaf, use your loaf, i just never made the connection, never thought about it, it was just something commonly said. Slang evolves, yes but there's a difference between evolution and a bunch of new age re-ordering of an existing thingiemawotsit.
winstonlegthigh

Postby Sacko » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:46 am

Sacko

Re: cockney rhyming slang!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:53 pm

'gone for a burton'

In ‘Those Magnificent Men And Their Heating Machines’, when Harold reveals he’s going to install the radiators himself, Albert’s admiration instantly becomes abuse. Harold says the sentimentality “Soon went for a burton” :o
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:28 pm

I watched The Sweeny movie over the weekend. Ray Winstone came out with one that had this Stepney boy reaching for his search engine.

In one sceene Regan askes a contact "have you got the Youghurt" at which point he is given a gun. The best I have been able to find so far is 'youghurt Pot' = Shot - therefore = gun.

Seems a bit pony to me - but I can't find anything better !!!
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:38 pm

Well said Italian!!

This boomer can be confusing to a rum!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:02 pm

bob wrote:I watched The Sweeny movie over the weekend. Ray Winstone came out with one that had this Stepney boy reaching for his search engine.

In one sceene Regan askes a contact "have you got the Youghurt" at which point he is given a gun. The best I have been able to find so far is 'youghurt Pot' = Shot - therefore = gun.

Seems a bit pony to me - but I can't find anything better !!!

That info's made me ponder a bit, so I researched the meaning of Yogurt Pot. Yes I lived , breathed cockney by becoming one day & night, and after many pie n mashes, calling everyone slags and sleeping with half the street came up with a translation. Well hold your apples & pears for a mo, the actual meaning of "Yogurt pot" isn't "Shot" or "Gun" but a ladies Vagina , so if Regan was asking to be handed one in a shootout it was most likely a gangbang. :shock:
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby bob » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:31 pm

It was definitely a gun he got !!
bob
Site Admin

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:15 pm

bob wrote:It was definitely a gun he got !!

Thank heavens for that he thought. :shock:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:28 pm

This made me chortle...

Having a look on here -

http://www.cockneyrhymingslang.co.uk/slang/Y

- I spotted (looking for 'yoghurt' :? ) the top one 'Yarmouth Bloater' = 'Motor.' :lol:

Now Cockney rhyming slang has always amused me (used to love working out some of the things in the old telly programme 'Minder' ) but this was the limit! Who on earth would have the first clue what it was supposed to mean??

Classic! 8)
"Aaarold... you should come round this side - her drawers have just dropped off!"
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:55 pm

The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:This made me chortle...

Having a look on here -

- I spotted (looking for 'yoghurt' :? ) the top one 'Yarmouth Bloater' = 'Motor.' :lol:

Now Cockney rhyming slang has always amused me (used to love working out some of the things in the old telly programme 'Minder' ) but this was the limit! Who on earth would have the first clue what it was supposed to mean??

Classic! 8)

Checked out that site and it's very good. Thanks TLMS, or should it be Tom Hanks. 8)

Yeah it shocked me with the Yogurt cockney rhyming slang connotation. Note to oneself, if I'm ever visiting London and feel peckish fo something dairy n fruity firstly check if the shop I've gone into hasn't a red light. :shock:

Some stuff like Jimmy Riddle states the obvious. Clever in a way too this "say one thing means another" malarky. :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:34 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:

Having a look on here -

Classic! 8)

Checked out that site and it's very good. Thanks TLMS, or should it be Tom Hanks. 8)

Yeah it shocked me with the Yogurt cockney rhyming slang connotation. Note to oneself, if I'm ever visiting London and feel peckish fo something dairy n fruity firstly check if the shop I've gone into hasn't a red light. :shock:

Some stuff like Jimmy Riddle states the obvious. Clever in a way too this "say one thing means another" malarky. :P

I had a look further back in the thread and saw there was already a link to that site. :) I was hoping for one that had something like a database that you could type a word or phrase and have it come out in ordinary English... maybe Google Translate will add this in the near future? :wink:

My brother lived in 'the smoke' for some years and when he'd come home, he'd delight in telling us some of the slang his mates were currently using... glad to say I put some of those straight to the back of my mind!! :shock: :lol:
"Aaarold... you should come round this side - her drawers have just dropped off!"
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:37 pm

The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:

Having a look on here -

Classic! 8)

Yeah it shocked me with the Yogurt cockney rhyming slang connotation. Note to oneself, if I'm ever visiting London and feel peckish for something dairy n fruity firstly check if the shop I've gone into hasn't a red light. :shock:

I had a look further back in the thread and saw there was already a link to that site. :) I was hoping for one that had something like a database that you could type a word or phrase and have it come out in ordinary English... maybe Google Translate will add this in the near future? :wink:

My brother lived in 'the smoke' for some years and when he'd come home, he'd delight in telling us some of the slang his mates were currently using... glad to say I put some of those straight to the back of my mind!! :shock: :lol:

A Google Cockney English translation would be cool. Ever seen C4's IT Crowd? Moss the tech guy had a phone app with that very function. :P

They say the women are the worse with slang. My mother (bless her hairy toes) worked in a Laundrette as a sprog and once told me the men were scared to enter the steam room as the womens language was diabolical. :lol:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:23 pm

Something's missing here... the quote function seems to have done a vanishing act. :?

Anyway - It sounds like I didn't give The IT Crowd much of a chance and now that I should. :D

I've worked in factories that I've been so scared to sit in the canteen as a lone male - because of some of the conversations that I had to listen to. :roll: Made me wonder if they would be doing that if others were around, or just to get me to freak out! :| The worst was when I went back to get an up-to-date maths qualification, a few years ago. Some of the things two young ladies in the classroom were reading aloud from Facebook... just made you think 'THAT can't be on the curriculum!!' :shock: :lol:
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:02 pm

The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:Something's missing here... the quote function seems to have done a vanishing act. :?

Anyway - It sounds like I didn't give The IT Crowd much of a chance and now that I should. :D

I've worked in factories that I've been so scared to sit in the canteen as a lone male - because of some of the conversations that I had to listen to. :roll: Made me wonder if they would be doing that if others were around, or just to get me to freak out! :| The worst was when I went back to get an up-to-date maths qualification, a few years ago. Some of the things two young ladies in the classroom were reading aloud from Facebook... just made you think 'THAT can't be on the curriculum!!' :shock: :lol:

Yeah do it, it'll be a chuckle. IT crowd was another Graham Linehan success along with Father Ted I think. :)

Same here. I used to work in a bakery as a teenager filling mince pies along with some older more mature women on machines, and may I say the language was blue at times with them being rather naughty whilst filling the cream horns & custard slices, and you know what, I've never touched a single horn or slice since that very day. I'm haunted by those memories in a way to the point that I have an aversion to entering Greggs. :shock:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:05 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:
The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:Something's missing here... the quote function seems to have done a vanishing act. :?

Yeah do it, it'll be a chuckle. IT crowd was another Graham Linehan success along with Father Ted I think. :)

Same here. I used to work in a bakery as a teenager filling mince pies along with some older more mature women on machines, and may I say the language was blue at times with them being rather naughty whilst filling the cream horns & custard slices, and you know what, I've never touched a single horn or slice since that very day. I'm haunted by those memories in a way to the point that I have an aversion to entering Greggs. :shock:

I see there are episodes of The IT Crowd on You Tube; so I'll take a look and if I like, then I'll get a DVD of it. :) Are there any particular episodes to look out for? I'm sure you have a favourite or two, as most do with tv shows they enjoy and know well. It'd be great if you could name one that might be a good introduction for me. Same writer as FT, yes... he appeared in an episode of I'm Alan Partridge, along with his co-writer Arthur Mathews.

I bet just the fact that the produce was named in the way it was, was plenty to set their minds and mouths in overdrive! :shock: Good thing I'm on a diet, I recon - I don't have that worry. :wink: I like Greggs just coz they do a cheap cuppa and will try not to remember this and involuntarily smile at the assistant, next time I call in. :| :lol: The one I always used to get was when I worked in a chicken factory (I like to tell people I was employed there gluing beaks on etc. LOL) they used to say "I'm not being funny... but, it's fowl working there, or so I've heard." :roll: :P
The late Mrs Steptoe

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side