Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

cockney rhyming slang!

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: cockney rhyming slang!

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:34 pm

The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:
The late Mrs Steptoe wrote:Something's missing here... the quote function seems to have done a vanishing act. :?

Anyway - It sounds like I didn't give The IT Crowd much of a chance and now that I should. :D

I've worked in factories that I've been so scared to sit in the canteen as a lone male - because of some of the conversations that I had to listen to. :roll: Made me wonder if they would be doing that if others were around, or just to get me to freak out! :| The worst was when I went back to get an up-to-date maths qualification, a few years ago. Some of the things two young ladies in the classroom were reading aloud from Facebook... just made you think 'THAT can't be on the curriculum!!' :shock: :lol:

Yeah do it, it'll be a chuckle. IT crowd was another Graham Linehan success along with Father Ted I think. :)

Same here. I used to work in a bakery as a teenager filling mince pies along with some older more mature women on machines, and may I say the language was blue at times with them being rather naughty whilst filling the cream horns & custard slices, and you know what, I've never touched a single horn or slice since that very day. I'm haunted by those memories in a way to the point that I have an aversion to entering Greggs. :shock:

I see there are episodes of The IT Crowd on You Tube; so I'll take a look and if I like, then I'll get a DVD of it. :) Are there any particular episodes to look out for? I'm sure you have a favourite or two, as most do with tv shows they enjoy and know well. It'd be great if you could name one that might be a good introduction for me. Same writer as FT, yes... he appeared in an episode of I'm Alan Partridge, along with his co-writer Arthur Mathews.

I bet just the fact that the produce was named in the way it was, was plenty to set their minds and mouths in overdrive! :shock: Good thing I'm on a diet, I recon - I don't have that worry. :wink: I like Greggs just coz they do a cheap cuppa and will try not to remember this and involuntarily smile at the assistant, next time I call in. :| :lol: The one I always used to get was when I worked in a chicken factory (I like to tell people I was employed there gluing beaks on etc. LOL) they used to say "I'm not being funny... but, it's fowl working there, or so I've heard." :roll: :P

My particular favourite IT crowd are as follows: Jen the Fredo, Italian for beginners, Moss the German, but to be honest I like em all. :P

I'd never work in a chicken factory due to my vegetarian beliefs (also I'm a committed 7th day advent calendar), but I'm more surprised or bemused that Chickens even had it in them to manufacture goods let alone be business minded in owning a factory? You learn a new thingy everyday. Also I'll never look at a chicken nugget again without admiration but will say a prayer at their place of worship Kentucky. 8)
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:28 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:I'd never work in a chicken factory due to my vegetarian beliefs...8)

Chances are you're right about vegetarianism, we’ve been watching Warners Bros cartoons from the 1940’s....
and meat eating tends to end badly. Sylvester cat, Spike dog, Dim vulture, Wiley coyote, Tazmanian devil...
you’d think they’d get a clue already. How many comedy anvils does it take? Sheesh! :roll:
Edit: in this clip I’ve only now just found, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTX8Ll980Lg, Christopher Lee does his Sylvester the Cat impression and recalls, with obvious delight, the Warner Bros cartoons and characters that made him laugh. Seeing the smile spread across his face as he describes what mates and me grew up watching on telly.....we're reminded of how much we respect this man and his best mate, Peter Cushing.
And of how ridiculous ageism is.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:44 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:I'd never work in a chicken factory due to my vegetarian beliefs...8)

Chances are you're right about vegetarianism, we’ve been watching Warners Bros cartoons from the 1940’s....
and meat eating tends to end badly. Sylvester cat, Spike dog, Dim vulture, Wiley coyote, Tazmanian devil...
you’d think they’d get a clue already. How many comedy anvils does it take? Sheesh! :roll:
Edit: in this clip I’ve only now just found, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTX8Ll980Lg, Christopher Lee does his Sylvester the Cat impression and recalls, with obvious delight, the Warner Bros cartoons and characters that made him laugh. Seeing the smile spread across his face as he describes what mates and me grew up watching on telly.....we're reminded of how much we respect this man and his best mate, Peter Cushing.
And of how ridiculous ageism is.

Hey DOY, how you doin, long time no cluck. :P

Talking cartoons a moment. You've mentioned Wiley Coyote. I've always had a problem with the Wiley Coyote in Cartoons for some odd reason? He's rich enough (most likely a paypal account & gold credit card) to ship ACME parcels into the desert where he could easily call out for a pizza or Mexican or both? On the other paw the Tasmanian Devil & Sylvester the Cat are just misunderstood because of their respective speech impediments, and if not self conscious would both most likely sound like Barry White. Also Spike The Bulldog instead of his aversion to cats should concentrate on his beloved son Tyke who's one step from the ghetto who could pistol whip a pensioner if not careful leading finally to the dim Vulture Beaky Buzzard who is ostracized but the other Buzzards as dim & lazy but this is mainly down to his lack of water & aversion to the desert heat and diminutive stature.

Yeah heard about the story of good friends Christopher Lee & Peter Cushing regarding their phone calls to each other doing daffy Duck impressions ect... lol. Wish I was there to hear them both in action. Classic. Great link by the way. 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:37 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...long time no cluck. :P

Thank goodness for spell check, people might get the wrong idea! :shock:
Pete puma, I forgot to mention him, and Yosemite Sam is another favorite.
Glad you liked the clip, I’d heard Peter Cushing briefly do the Sylvester voice in a 1983 interview that was included with an Amicus documentary, but I’d never heard Christopher Lee do it. The thought of 2 such dignified men doing cartoon character impressions and giggling like kids just cracks me up :o. The cartoon he mentions is a favorite, Sylvester tries to teach his son how to catch mice by chasing an escaped kangaroo, “A giant mouth!” but keeps getting kicked through doors and such. The wee lad is so disappointed, “My father, afraid of a mouth, I can’t be theen in public” and puts a paper bag over his head. :lol:
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:30 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...long time no cluck. :P

Thank goodness for spell check, people might get the wrong idea! :shock:
Pete puma, I forgot to mention him, and Yosemite Sam is another favorite.
Glad you liked the clip, I’d heard Peter Cushing briefly do the Sylvester voice in a 1983 interview that was included with an Amicus documentary, but I’d never heard Christopher Lee do it. The thought of 2 such dignified men doing cartoon character impressions and giggling like kids just cracks me up :o. The cartoon he mentions is a favorite, Sylvester tries to teach his son how to catch mice by chasing an escaped kangaroo, “A giant mouth!” but keeps getting kicked through doors and such. The wee lad is so disappointed, “My father, afraid of a mouth, I can’t be theen in public” and puts a paper bag over his head. :lol:

It was a nugget I know, a chicken.... :wink:

Elmer Fudd was my particular favourite cartoon character lol, and boy how I loved the way he said " I'm huntin Wrabbit" holding his wee dinky shotgun whilst chasing Bugs Bunny to & fro, although I'm ashamed to admit that as a small naive kid (think I was around around 25yrs old at the time) thought all Americans talked with a lisp and hated the sight of all precocious talking rabbits thus easter itself, but I'm man enough to say I was totally wrong. You love easter too. Yay! :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:06 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...I've always had a problem with (cartoon characters that) could easily call out for a pizza or Mexican or both...

You’re right there, often wondered why carnivorous cartoon characters that lack opposable thumbs yet are capable of drafting complex blueprints.....why don’t they just walk down the road and get a pizza?
Chili relleno sounds lovely about now, con queso, mmm.
But first, how bout a cuppa.
...how many lumps do you want doc? :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGns_QEUPTw
Back on topic, has anybody mentioned "borasic lint" yet? (Steptoe and Son - and Son!) :)
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:13 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...I've always had a problem with (cartoon characters that) could easily call out for a pizza or Mexican or both...

You’re right there, often wondered why carnivorous cartoon characters that lack opposable thumbs yet are capable of drafting complex blueprints.....why don’t they just walk down the road and get a pizza?
Chili relleno sounds lovely about now, con queso, mmm.
But first, how bout a cuppa.
...how many lumps do you want doc? :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGns_QEUPTw
Back on topic, has anybody mentioned "borasic lint" yet? (Steptoe and Son - and Son!) :)

Well Pete the Puma I have not seen or heard before, looks like yellow pinky with jaundice, and seeing he's only got one tooth mostl likely died out due to lack of food, poor sod. :shock:

BOT: Don't think I've ever seen a main cartoon character being cockney or talking cockney unless you thrown Dick Van Dyke into the equation in Mary Poppins? :?

Re Boracic lint. Think that's one meaning skint. Anyhoo, I'm off for a quick Arthur Bliss and a quick read of the local scrap merchants guide to Hard Pawn, entitled "how to make money with scrap metal" by author Ivor wright-Chubby. :)

Ilovesteptoe

Re: Regarding Rhyming slang

Postby Uncle Nobby » Thu May 14, 2015 7:46 am

steve sheffield wrote:In a quite a few episodes Albert when referring to somebody on the scrounge says " his he on the Ear-Ole again" been trying to work out what Ear hole rhymes with in conjunction with on the scrounge. Any cockneys please enlighten me!!!!! :D

Its not slang it is just an expression about getting moaned at, preached to etc. Albert says it when referring to the Vicar :wink:
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu May 14, 2015 10:40 am

Uncle Nobby wrote:
steve sheffield wrote:In a quite a few episodes Albert when referring to somebody on the scrounge says " his he on the Ear-Ole again" been trying to work out what Ear hole rhymes with in conjunction with on the scrounge. Any cockneys please enlighten me!!!!! :D

Its not slang it is just an expression about getting moaned at, preached to etc. Albert says it when referring to the Vicar :wink:

I'm so naive me. When Albert referred to a knocking shop in some episodes, I assumed he was alluding to a sale on with hammers at the local ironmongers. My eyes were opened, amongst other things concerning the said knocking shop. :shock:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Uncle Nobby » Sat May 16, 2015 11:39 am

I've just been watching the second film again.
There is some good slang there.

Bill Maynard asks to see Alberts body: Any chance of having a butcher's (Butchers Hook - look) at him, seeing as we are his china's? (China Plates - mates)
Uncle Nobby

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sun May 17, 2015 9:03 pm

Uncle Nobby wrote:I've just been watching the second film again.
There is some good slang there.

Bill Maynard asks to see Alberts body: Any chance of having a butcher's (Butchers Hook - look) at him, seeing as we are his china's? (China Plates - mates)

It's a minefield of hidden meanings and innuendo, in some cases upyourendo. :shock:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Ivor Biggun » Tue May 19, 2015 5:18 am

Ilovesteptoe wrote:
Uncle Nobby wrote:

I'm so naive me. When Albert referred to a knocking shop in some episodes, I assumed he was alluding to a sale on with hammers at the local ironmongers. My eyes were opened, amongst other things concerning the said knocking shop. :shock:

Well, if you know what 'knocked up' means, then it becomes fairly obvious that a 'knocking shop' would be a house of prostitution. That's how I worked it out the first time I heard it, anyway.

Oh, and if you want to hear some interesting slang, watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0rgETg2Hoo
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Wed May 20, 2015 4:48 pm

Ivor Biggun: As a kid watching all the classic sitcoms from the seventies I often asked my parents what a certain words meant in certain scenarios within a scene, and obviously they would say another meaning in the knowledge that it meant or described a rude act say.

Sadly for me I would use the same word/words thinking it meant something harmless in School to my teacher when reciting a poem wrote resulting in a smack and a note home to my Mam & Dad. They soon wised up though, and rather than saying it was something else opted to say it was rude rather than telling me a white lie. :)

(P/S) Thanks for the link. Good old Stanley Baxter. Very funny! 8)

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Uncle Nobby » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:19 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:

Well, if you know what 'knocked up' means, then it becomes fairly obvious that a 'knocking shop' would be a house of prostitution. That's how I worked it out the first time I heard it, anyway.

Oh, and if you want to hear some interesting slang, watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0rgETg2Hoo[/quote]

@Ivor Biggun - I liked that link. Stanley Baxter at his finest.

Try this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij5mw_eqKuc
Uncle Nobby

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:37 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...I'm ashamed to admit that as a small naive kid (think I was around around 25yrs old at the time) thought all Americans talked with a lisp and hated the sight of...talking rabbits :P

If that were true, Hugh Hefner would never have had a career :o.
Dirty Old Yank

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side