Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Worst Episode

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby bob » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi borehamwood

Nice to get your take on the various episodes.

I know what you mean about the "dragging" up in the PAYE episode, and it certainky does make me laugh. However there is more than a ring of truth to the story line as trying to fiddle the Tax Man with non-existent relatives was certanly a real problem and something Albert would have tried. Mind you Harry H. has to be the ugliest "bird" ever.

Steptoerai did give us the character of Frankie Barrow, who appears again in the second film, which in my opinion is vastly superior to the first film. In my view it is a black comedy.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:09 pm

BOB!!!

You CANT say Black comedy... that's racist... you have to say 'comedy which is not of the light persuasion'... disgraceful!....

lol

I disagree about 'Seance', I like that episode. The whole Hitler bit is hilarious... 'ask him who won the war!'... But I do agree that Steptorai is not the best. As for Live Now P.A.Y.E. Later, I share Bob's view...

Albert would definitely have had some kind of scam going and like most lies, they often get out of control and sometimes you end up going too far... I personally find it quite realistic. I do with Steptorai, but there is, to me, something about it that just doesnt gel...

I hope you're ashamed of yourself Bob... black comedy indeed... lol
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Karl » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:19 am

Bit of a cock up in in P.A.Y.E its the bit where Harold says to Albert that he must return the money 'anonomously" why would he have done that? other than that its not the worst episode,for me that would be "Cuckoo in the nest". i find "Arthur" very irritating! :x
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby steve sheffield » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:16 pm

Karl wrote:Bit of a cock up in in P.A.Y.E its the bit where Harold says to Albert that he must return the money 'anonomously" why would he have done that? other than that its not the worst episode,for me that would be "Cuckoo in the nest". i find "Arthur" very irritating! :x

Cuckoo in the nest? No way.
What about the lines " point percy at the porcelain " and " he took the horse out, he just did'nt bring it back " and Arthur " well well well!" Albert " who are you?"
Harold says " he's a crook , he's a ponce" Albert replies " you don't like him do you?"
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:34 pm

Yes, I think the character in Cuckoo is meant to be irritating... isn't that the whole point?

'Your beer is as flat as a witches tit!'. Classic line, pure Steptoe.

Is the land lady at the end the only black actor ever to appear in Steptoe? I can't recall any others off hand (though it is late and I'm a wee bit brahms and liszt on our flat beer!)
PhilGlass

Postby Karl » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:15 am

PhilGlass wrote:Yes, I think the character in Cuckoo is meant to be irritating... isn't that the whole point?

'Your beer is as flat as a witches tit!'. Classic line, pure Steptoe.

Is the land lady at the end the only black actor ever to appear in Steptoe? I can't recall any others off hand (though it is late and I'm a wee bit brahms and liszt on our flat beer!)

I take on board your comments Phil & Steve,there are some classic lines in "Cuckoo in the nest" and yes "Arthur" is supposed to be irritating but,its just not my favourite episode! As for the black lady Phil,i reckon your right, i certainly cannot think of an episode that has a black person in.they get mentioned of course but that 'aint the same............. :D
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Karl...

That's the great thing about Steptoe, it is so broad that different things appeal to different people :)
PhilGlass

Postby steve sheffield » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:44 pm

Dosn't Arthur also say " my mouths as dry as a kangaroo's jockstrap"

LOL :lol:
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby bob » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:36 am

Firstly I would like to appologise to Phil for my non PC comments a few postings ago.

I always found the character of Arthur so hard to like, but has been previously explained that is because thats how we are ment to feel.

I always feel so sorry for Harold.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:48 am

Lol Bob you are forgiven... ha ha

Yes, I think Harry really enjoyed playing the more 'pathetic' part of Harold. I think at some point we have all known someone like that.

I think P.A.Y.E. is realistic in the point that they would dress up - little lies often have a hait of spiralling out of control to the point where you have to go through with it, and Albert certainly would have been conning the tax man. What gets me is that Harold insists he pays it back - I find this a little out of character. Harold isn't against a bit of 'creative' business in previous episodes. But how else could it have been ended?

It reminds me of the ending of the OFAH episode 'To Hull and Back' where Boycie has paid Del with what Del thinks are forged tenners. So Del throws them out of the window... Firstly, any trader can sniff a real note from a fake a mile away and secondly he would have happily spent the dodgy ones...

I guess sometimes you have to be a bit 'creative' with characters in order to end an episode. With Steptoe is was kind of assumed that there was no real continuity, ie, each episode stood in it's own right, so they kind of get away with it more. But P.A.Y.E. is a good episode. Getting the tax man brahms and liszt, good idea!
PhilGlass

Worst Episodes

Postby ianb » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:20 pm

Back In Fashion is a weak episode for me - pointless and way below par for Steptoe & Son.
ianb

Postby Sacko » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Got to agree, I never watch it now. Not over keen on the seven steptoerai either.
Sacko

Postby nunky » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Off the top of my head Seven Steptoerai not one of the best but not sure if it is the worst. I need to think about it.
nunky

Postby Karl » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:15 am

nunky wrote:Off the top of my head Seven Steptoerai not one of the best but not sure if it is the worst. I need to think about it.

In "Steptoerai",i like the "revenge" factor,Albert & Harold getting bullied by the local thugs then Wallop! the tables are turned,i would have given Frankie Barrow a couple more for breaking the " beautiful chinese urn" too........ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Karl

Postby winstonlegthigh » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:11 pm

there's no such thing as a bad steptoe episode. Sounds like blind fanboyism but it's not, i hold it in that high regard, it is flawless.

Siege of Steptoe Street, blimey, that has the best sodding acting of any of the episodes, the bit towards the end where they're having his house away and Wilf is begging, it's so realistic the way he's pleading with him.

I'm not gonna go through everyones dislike and say why it's fabulous but i could :lol: I don't think a lack of realism is something you can honestly cite as a criticism for situation comedy, there are certain unrealistic things that happen in it but not ever so.
winstonlegthigh

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side