Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

'Scotch on The Rocks' and Australia 1977

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

'Scotch on The Rocks' and Australia 1977

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:03 pm

I have been trying to find a recording of the 1977 Australia tour, I have a 'complete radio series' downloading on Ares but it's taking forever... It is only a 30 minute recording - what exactly exists from this? Is there a recording of a full show?? The LP is apparently only 30 minutes run-time, yet the whole show would surely have been longer.

Also, according to several internet sites, the last EVER Steptoe sketch written by Ray and Alan was a sketch called 'Scotch On The Rocks' which was 12 minute segment in Good Luck, Scotland on May 29, 1978. This is the first I had heard of this - does this exist anywhere?? It would be great to hear a Steptoe sketch from so late after the series ended.

What do we know about these shows? I would love to know more!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby thatsthatthen » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:03 pm

I got the Australia tour too. Be careful Phil, it's not good.
Just don't want your expectations raised.

Can't help you with Scotch on the Rocks. Would love to learn more though - perhaps one of our lifelong fans will be along soon to help us out here.
Who did she think she was?
thatsthatthen

Postby Rian » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:44 am

even though it probs is not good i would love to see it if thats ok with you :D
Rian

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:20 am

I don't know if there's any video of it, but the audio recording is an important part of the Steptoe legacy. I never understood why it was a 'cabaret' style show, most Steptoe episodes ran like plays, surely a 90 minute proper episode could have been written for the stage.

As for 'Scotch on the rocks' I know very little about it.
PhilGlass

Postby Rian » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:49 pm

yeah i agree i think the whole 1977 comeback should of never of happend and luckily only hardcore fans like us will remeber it.
Rian

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:25 am

I think the problem is how they brought it back, not that they did. Another series would have worked, or even the aussie show if they did it as a 90min stage play version - perhaps ending the story. But hind-sight is a wonderful thing. At least with the tv series it ended on a high =- the same quality as the first series (if not better), unlike some programs which go on and on - look at 'Only Fools and Horses' - they did that wonderful trilogy where they won the money, then just had to bring it back for those three poor episodes (the ones without Uncle Albert).

But I would still love to see anything from this tour - people say Wilf was blind drunk through most of it, so I would like to see a performance and judge for myself. Like anything to do with Steptoe, there will be some wonderful moments too. Perhaps they just misjudged it.
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:02 pm

I should imagine the 'Scotch On the Rocks' refered to the 1978 World Cup :?:
Archie

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:03 am

Archie wrote:I should imagine the 'Scotch On the Rocks' refered to the 1978 World Cup :?:

How do you mean? I know nothing about this sketch other than its existence. Was it radio or tv? I believe it was radio only but could be (and probably am) wrong. What's the world cup reference?
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:56 pm

PhilGlass wrote:
Archie wrote:I should imagine the 'Scotch On the Rocks' refered to the 1978 World Cup :?:

How do you mean? I know nothing about this sketch other than its existence. Was it radio or tv? I believe it was radio only but could be (and probably am) wrong. What's the world cup reference?

The Scottish football team led by Ally Mc Leod played in Argentina in the summer of 78 !.

Of course 'Allys Army' lost :(
Last edited by Archie on Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archie

Postby thatsthatthen » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:39 pm

So, by writing a piece entitled Scotch on the Rocks they were predicting Scotland getting knocked out of the World Cup?

Scotland was the only UK hope in the 1978 World Cup and what an incredible sendoff the boys got when they left for Argentina - a parade round Hampden and an open topped bus all the way to the airport, oh of course and that single "We're on the march with Ally's army..."

I am hoping therefore that it refers to something else, not an expectation of failure.

That's just too cruel!
:cry:
thatsthatthen

'Scotch On The Rocks'

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:27 pm

'Scotch On The Rocks'

"...was a 5 part serial shown 11/5/73 to 8/6/73, made by BBC Scotland, adapted from the novel by Douglas Hurd and Andrew Osmond, and starred Bill Simpson, Maria Aitken and Iain Cuthbertson. Only episodes 1, 4 and 5 exist now. "
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Re: 'Scotch On The Rocks'

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:18 pm

The Pixel Surgeon wrote:'Scotch On The Rocks'

"...was a 5 part serial shown 11/5/73 to 8/6/73, made by BBC Scotland, adapted from the novel by Douglas Hurd and Andrew Osmond, and starred Bill Simpson, Maria Aitken and Iain Cuthbertson. Only episodes 1, 4 and 5 exist now. "

That's interesting as it conflicts with my information, which is very vague so you are probably correct. My research tells me there was a 12 min Steptoe sketch from 78 (making this, apart from the Kenco ad, the last time Harry and Wilf would work together). I have heard that the 12 min sketch was recorded separately on different days. The novel bit is interesting... could it be that this ISN'T actually a Steptoe sketch but just a radio episode which both Harry and Wilf happended to be in??? It sounds plausable.
PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:57 am

Thanks to a kind user of the official site, I now have a recording of this. It is a canny little sketch. What is itneresting is anyone who has heard the Australia recording knows Wilf had voice problems (having had voice coaching myself, it sounds to me like the vocal chord stripping caused by excessive alcohol) and it is even worse in this sketch - on some lines he is hardly recognisable as Wilfrid Brambell...

But both are still funny. It is FAR funnier than the australia show and is a straight sketch. It shows that if Steptoe had continued, the best was yet to come!! It's really funny!!

This is technically the last ever steptoe sketch (im sure the advert doesnt countm did Ray and Alan write that even?) and is great to hear for that reason.
PhilGlass

Postby thatsthatthen » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:50 pm

...eh Phil

will it be going on the DVD?

please?

:D
thatsthatthen

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:38 pm

thatsthatthen wrote:...eh Phil

will it be going on the DVD?

please?

:D

A full DVD tracklist will be available shortly. Almost all footage is sourced and mastered. I am simply awaiting an interview and some introduction footage, I will be announcing somehting shortly...

I have another plan for someaudio recordings - a special treat for those like yourself who have contributed.

Stay tuned...

P.S. Thanks for the 'Deadly Sins' one - wow! I hadn't seen that, it's a tragic ending, don;t you think? But Harry pulls it off with brilliant conviction. I loved it.
PhilGlass

Next

Return to The knobs are on my side