Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Is TV too PC?

Yes, is up to us to choose what we watch
96%
No, leave such prehistoric viewpoints where they belong
4%

Total votes : 25

Postby PhilGlass » Sat May 15, 2010 2:40 pm

Steve, you reminded me of that wonderfully funny scene in Fawlty Towers where the Major and Fawlty are discussing the difference between Niggers and Wogs.

Let me remind everyone - though i think I'v mentioned this before, the first public use of the word WOG (and this is something I discovered from Ray and Alan) comes from Winston Churchill who used it in parliament. It stood for 'Ward of Government' and simple referred to anyone who was dependant on the government, like on the dole or immigrants.

I live in a part of Salford that is about 10% english and there is a local shop there which has its windows full of notices etc... all in polish. Where as I don't really have too much of a problem with that, I once saw one right in the middle of the window written in polish and english - someone advertising for a housemate and it ended with 'Polish only'. Now, I can see why you have the right to pick who lives in your house, but I GUARANTEE if I advertsied for someone and put 'english only' I'd have the police knocking on my door within minutes.

Anyway, rant over!

Off out to enjoy this 'Indian weather' we seem to be having!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby steve sheffield » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:32 pm

The sad lot are at it again!!!!!!
Just watched the desperate hours.
On harold talking to Leonard Rossiters character ( Johnny ) about all they had to eat was cold porridge and mouldy bread, Rossiter replies " poor bastard, you 'd be better off inside "
Well ,they cut out the B word. If you listen, as Rossiter says the B word there is canned laughter and is supposed to be FUNNY!!! but today it was cut out.

On the other hand tonights episode of eastenders depict's the crazy lucas ( the vicar ) taking a girl he's picked up into the woods and murdering her?
After all the recent events in Shipley too!!!!!!!! :cry:
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby bob » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:13 am

Steve

It is crazy. The thing that made Steptoe so great and so funny was the realisim. What else would Johnny say ?

I hate what has happened to our comedy over the last 10 - 15 years. The only time certain subjects can be made fun of is when the character is so unreal that nobody could possibly think their comments were genuine. For example "The Only Gay in the Village" is a complete cartoon and therefore we can laugh, but we are not allowed to see Albert showing concern about Harold's new friend Timothy Stanhope. "He's a poof" cries Albert. They couldn''t make the episode today because it would be deemed offensive. Sad !
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:42 am

I have often wondered whether Little Britain gets away with it because the actor saying it is openly gay.

Black comedians seem to fill their acts with jokes about why being black is better. Women fill their acts with jokes about why being a woman is better. Gay comedians make jokes about being gay...

If a heterosexual, white man makes jokes about why being a straight white man is better, it is wrong. Roy Chubby Brown once kicked off in an interview because they were going on at him about a joke he made about a black guy. He pointed out that he was given the joke by Chris Rock, who tells it constantly in his act to much applause. Chubby's point was that they werent offended by the joke, they were either offended by a white man telling it or by their ignorance that black people can not be racist too.

It's all a load of old crap. How is Any Old Iron offensive? It is more realistic in its portrayal than the afore mentioned Little Britain like Bob mentioned. Surely the 'characature' from LB is more offensive??

Does my head in...
PhilGlass

Postby steve sheffield » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:43 pm

Watched the history channel this morning, some interesting programme about Henry the viii and his six wives.
It was on around 10 or 11 am in the morning and the narrator had the cheek to use the word " Bastard "
How on earth did the history channel get around the sensors?
What is the difference between Rossiters Bastard and the history channels Bastard?

Sorry but what a load of hypocritical Bollox!
steve sheffield

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:32 am

Hi Steve

I didnt see that program but I assume the reason is because the narrator used the word in it's proper meaning, therefore it is not a swear word. I assume he was referring to the King's 'Bastard children', which means children which were born out of wedlock.

The BBC in particular ALLOW any word used in the correct way. It is NOT a swear word when used to refer to someone born out of wedlock. It IS a swear word when Leonard Rossiter uses it in Steptoe, that is the difference (I agree they should show both, but I'm just explaining the difference).

Notice in 'Cuckoo In The Nest' the word is used twice, but officially has only one swear word. When Harold says 'How many more bastard children do you have' he is NOT swearing. He is asking how many illigitimate children Albert has. The BBC would accept this in their charter as perfectly acceptable.

When Arthur says to the taxi driver 'I bet you turned the bastard on in melbourne', they would not allow this as he is swearing, he is not referring to an illigitimate birth.

Although they have occasionally cut correctly used words, the BBC charter apparently allows them. That will be why...

Although cable channels often get away with it more as less people are watching so less can complain lol
PhilGlass

Postby steve sheffield » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:32 pm

What will the sensor folk do when " Men of letters " comes on?
We see the scrabble board and on it if memory serves me rightly are the words " pox cock spunk nipple tit bum" etc etc.
You got to laugh but how would the pc brigade cope with that?

And as Albert says "BUM, part of the anatomy that sticks out of the back of your trousers!" lol
steve sheffield

Postby bob » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:13 pm

The Scrabble board is there for everybody to see on the Men of Letters review page.

If you want an excellent perspective on political correctness see if you can get to a performance by Australian comic Steve Hughes.

Lots of words used out of context througout the show !!!
bob
Site Admin

Postby steve sheffield » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Cheers bob, I forgot rape bristols & vibrators !!!!
That will never get past the do- gooders lol
How could Albert use such language in front of his own son!
As Harold later replies " filth filth filth "
steve sheffield

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:48 pm

bob wrote:The Scrabble board is there for everybody to see on the Men of Letters review page.

Bob! Providing the filth as always!! lol... Albert would love it!!

I had to laugh at the Rude Britannia episode before Steptoe... they showed a clip of Bernard Manning... they bleeped the F word but allowed the word ni***r. Wheres the sense??

Keep up the good work Bob!!!
PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:05 pm

Okay, I know the last post was mine but let me say, this is going to be a rant, so forgive me... but it's on topic...

I am watching a program on BBC2 about Disability and how it is portrayed in comedy, and it so far seems very offensive to those who arent disabled... why wasnt this offensive show cancelled?

Because only white, non disabled, single, heterosexual men can be offensive, or so it seems...

The whole thing is bollocks. This is a great program as disabled people can voice their opinions, and so they should, someones ability makes no difference to the person they are, but if I said the same about them I would be arrested. Apparently all non-disabled people, according to this show, are theives, who claim disability off the social and abuse disabled facilities like free parking (why do millionaires who are disabled not have to pay by the way??), or we hold up the disabled toilets by shagging in them apparently... if I dare say the same back I am offensive... well we have feelings too..

I am a sufferer of psoriasis - for those who dont know it is an immune system disfunction which manifests itself as a horrible skin condition. It is not contagious but I have been 'asked to leave' many places because of it... but if I complain I am just being awkward... I was turned down for a job many a time because of it.

EVERYONE has their prejudices - maybe not on purpose, but we are all ignorant to what we dont understand... but only the kind of person I mentioned will actually be called so...

Anyone who doesnt like it can f off...
Sorry for the rant... But I think it's appropriate... Bob, feel free to delete it if I am out of order.. I just think there is a MAJOR double standard...
PhilGlass

Postby steve sheffield » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:34 pm

UK gold are showing A star is born and to my dismay they have cut " up yours darling " at the beginning by Albert. Just after he says " hows your Hamlet darling" the next line just didn't work. These do' gooders are going to far. Who is up yours darling going to offend? Alastair Darling MP perhaps? :twisted:
steve sheffield

Postby Archie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:46 pm

I bet UK Gold don't show Any Old Iron, it must be the most UN-PC episode ever :o

It's also one of my favourites :D
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby bob » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:36 pm

I think you're right Archie.

You can't just cut the line "He's a poof" without the episode losing its meaning.

I'm not sure the term Brown Hatter would get pass the censor these says. Shame !
bob
Site Admin

Postby steve sheffield » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:11 pm

bob wrote:I think you're right Archie.

You can't just cut the line "He's a poof" without the episode losing its meaning.

I'm not sure the term Brown Hatter would get pass the censor these says. Shame !

When harold says " I could learn alot from timothy "
Albert sternly replies " I BET YOU COULD " with a big frown!!!
steve sheffield

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side