Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Is TV too PC?

Yes, is up to us to choose what we watch
96%
No, leave such prehistoric viewpoints where they belong
4%

Total votes : 25

Postby Karl » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:09 pm

Well stone me!! BBC7 broadcast "Any old Iron" today,i'm just listening on I-player to see if they've sliced it about!!!! :x

Footnote-just listened,they left all the "Poofs" in!!! :D :D
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby bob » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:06 pm

What about the Brown Hatter line ?
bob
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:11 pm

bob wrote:What about the Brown Hatter line ?

Is that line in "Any old iron" Bob? i know its in "Loathe story",i must have edited tv & Radio versions of "Iron"!!! :o
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby bob » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:49 pm

Do you know Karl, you've got me doubting my own Steptoe knowledge. There is certainly a line where Harold takes offence at being called a "brown hatter" I'll need to re-watch everything to get my facts correct. What a chore, but someone has got to do it.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby steve sheffield » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Brown hatter is definately in Loathe story, cannot recall it anywhere else.
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby Karl » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:39 pm

I've thought about this all evening,i've watched "Any old iron" and listened to it tonight, "brown hatter" 'aint there........As you say Steve,its definately in "Loathe story" :D :D
Harold is on the couch and the shrink asks him "Are you a homosexual?" Harold denies being a "brown hatter" and a" high 'n' hoof" (i've just checked the episode,save you doing it Bob :D )
Karl

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:29 pm

They put a warning on before it started - the announcer warned of the 'pre-dated' views.. what would he know - he's a poof!

The Brown Hatter line is a classic. Totally in character so what's the issue?

Karl - I think its 'Iron hoof', just the way H says it, it sounds like high 'n' hoof
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Karl » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:13 pm

You are right Phil it is "iron" rather than "High 'n'!!
Back to subject,it was quite refreshing to hear "Any old iron" without to much Editing on bbc7
I love the bit where Albert asks him (Timothy) if he's got any woodbines after he offered his black russian fags round.... :lol: :lol:
Karl

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:29 am

These people who edit seem to forget that the actor speaking the lines was in fact homosexual himself, and Wilfrid was not unintelligent and was not afraid to speak his mind and would have spoke out if he thought it was unacceptable. Instead, he always defended Steptoe when people complained about the language or their prejudices because it was 100% in character and realistic.

It really gets my back up when they think they can decide what we are aloowed to watch. I am a grown up with a mind of my own, it is not for anybody else to tell me what to watch. I can make up my own mind about what is offensive and what is not.

I got in to a covnersation with a fan about this through email and he himself is gay. He has "Any Old Iron" as one of his favourite episodes so stick that in your pipe and smoke it BBC!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby steve sheffield » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:09 pm

It is really sad that the pc brigade spoil programmes made decades ago that were meant to be humorous and nothing else.
Why is it offensive to call somebody a poof nowdays that likes somebody of their own sex, at the end of the day men that like men are as it was said poofs! It baffles me, I don't take offense when I get called hetrosexual. Pc gone mad, bloody poofs the lot of em lol.
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby Archie » Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:08 pm

I bought 'It Aint Half Hot Mum' series 8 a couple of weeks ago and the Sgt Major constantly refers to the concert party as Poofs, and also insults the Japs :shock:

Not much chance that the series will be shown on gold ! :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby bob » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:18 am

... and of course one of the big stars of the show was the Indian walla played by the very white Michael Bates.

Do you also remember Spike Milligan playing a pakistani in an episode of Sykes ... I think, or was it Peter Sellers ? God I'm getting old.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:01 pm

Those of us that don't work in broadcasting are left to surmise why this nonsense of going to extreme lengths to avoid offending anyone has got so out of hand, so I hope I'm not talking out of my arse.
I was taught at an early age that prejudice race or otherwise is wrong, something I'll always be grateful for. The word nigger still makes me cringe and I've never spoken it. Just typing it makes me uncomfortable. Yet I laugh myself senseless watching Mel Brooks' Blazing Saddles. Gay stereotypes in Steptoe or Are You Being Served are equally funny, just for example. So in the case of comedy writing it seems to boil down to context and most particularly quality, it remains possible to parody without being malicious. We obviously haven't lost the ability to laugh at ourselves, but it's clear that with the corporatization and subsequent homogenization of entertainment we're given fewer opportunities to do so. It's safe to assume when some potentially offensive comedy bit is broadcast, the only people that call/write broadcasters are complaining. So maybe we're missing a trick here, perhaps the solution is to call/write words of support when the material merits it. Or in the case of Steptoe write/call to complain when we're certain something has been needlessly edited.
or maybe not. i dunno.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Karl » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:07 am

Good post Dirty old yank,maybe we should complain when they slice our favourite comedies about rather than when they don't!!

Bob,didn't Spike Milligan also play an indian fella in one episode of "In sickness & in health"? you can imagine the verbals between him and Alf! :)
Karl

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:23 pm

Cheers Karl, its difficult to know sometimes if a post comes off alright, and it is a delicate subject, don't want to drift off into speculation.
I'm convinced that's key though, contacting broadcasters to voice approval and support when something "un-pc" is shown, if the material merits it. There's no doubt whatsoever that those of us who aren't offended outnumber those that are by a wide, wide margin, but when we see such stuff we take it for granted. Ring em, write em! Say yes, well done, more please!
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side