Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Is TV too PC?

Yes, is up to us to choose what we watch
96%
No, leave such prehistoric viewpoints where they belong
4%

Total votes : 25

Postby bob » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:57 pm

I agree Nunky, difference makes us rich, diverse enlightened and therefore interesting as people.

Of course some people will miss the opportunity, but making all of these subjects taboo for everybody makes ignorance the winner.

On the white man playing a black man theme. I also find it strange that in a country of millions (USA) they cast upper class British people such as Hugh Laurie (big fan) to play an American. There seems to be an epidemic of people putting on accents that other actors were born with. Is the world so devoid of good actors ?
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:06 pm

My view, for what its worth, it that NO, the world isnt so short of actors, but is so over populated with those who accept stereotypes. ... "A british accent".. this doest exist and is a saying by the ignorant... British stars, if there is such a thing, as in, let us not forget that Britain is several countries, seeem to do well overseas as they are not so bothered about being portrayed as old. american actresses dress like they are 16. British, and english (yes there is a difference, look it up) actresss are willing to play old women, whch is why people like Dame Judy Dench and Julie Walters have been heard of!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ivor Biggun » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:18 pm

Have you heard Hugh Laurie lately? He doesn't even sound British any more.

As for being no such thing as a British accent, I have to differ. There isn't ONE British accent, there are many, just like there are many American accents depending on the part of the country you are visiting. The term "British accent" is used as an all encompassing term covering all the ways that English is spoken in the British Isles just like "American accent" also encompasses all regional or local accents from America regardless of where in America the speaker is actually from.

Do Lancastrians speak with an accent? Cockneys? Glaswegians? Scousers? Northerners? Other non-Cockney Londoners? You could probably write a book on the ways that Londoners from different parts of the city speak by themselves. Anyone using any of those accents in America or Australia would instantly be recognized as "British" even if the listener didn't know precisely where in Britain the speaker was from. In the same way, a Texan, a person from the Deep South or from one of the New England states would instantly be recognized as "an American" in the UK even if their more precise origin was unknown. The same would hold for an Australian in the UK or America. Everyone would know he was Australian, but probably not the precise city or town where he was taught to speak English.

Oh, and as for the original topic of PC, I'm still waiting for someone to be brave enough to re-air The Benny Hill Show. That one's been effectively banned in Britain for a long while now, unless it's somehow slipped under my radar when I wasn't paying attention. The Royal Mail wouldn't even allow his face on a postage stamp because his show was not considered PC.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tamps.html
Ivor Biggun

Postby bob » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:13 am

Don’t start me on Benny Hill.

Poor bloke, one of the funniest, talented and yes …. original comics Britain ever had.

He was done in by Ben Elton and his cronies in the days when Elton was making out that he was part of an alternative culture, when time has shown he was just aching to be part of the establishment. In other words he wanted to be Benny Hill.

Benny never had gratuitous violence in his shows nor discussed women’s most intimate parts in graphic detail. That was Elton’s show Popcorn, which also featured a completely unnecessary strip tease sequence. Don’t get me wrong I’m not a prude and didn’t object. What I really object to is the sheer hypocrisy of someone who p****ed all over Hill’s career, while employing the same things he was criticising in his own shows. He may be laughing all the way to the bank, but his money is tainted by the sad demise of Benny Hill.

Anyway let’s finish on a positive and remember that Benny Hill’s shows are still shown around the world and he is still loved by fans old and new.

I think he only did four shows a year and I still remember the “family” excitement when a new Benny Hill show was aired for the very first time.

They won’t forget old Benny !!!!
bob
Site Admin

Postby winstonlegthigh » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:07 pm

i hear the yanks are quite fond of Benny Hill.
winstonlegthigh

Postby bob » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Yes I think that is true.

Benny Hill was really an innocent, who always came of worse, I think the Americans would appreciate that.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:00 pm

ITV were really nasty to Benny - yes I think his show had come to a natural end, but they just rejected him, after 16 years of being the ratings topper. He got no thanks.

I remember when i was a kid there was a paper spread about him, he was pictured walking home from kwik Save, the equivelant of Netto for those who dont remember it. They were syaing "what a sad loser carrying his Kwik Save bags home". Benny's reply was the classic "How else am I supposed to get my shopping home?

As a kid my grandad made me tape recordings of Benny's songs. I loved him ever since!!

"Stick your finger in your ear and go ting-a-ling-a-loo..." musical genius!!
PhilGlass

Postby nunky » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:52 pm

I thought Benny Hills' short appearance in Italian Job was one of the highlights of a classic film.
nunky

Postby bob » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:25 am

Now in '14 and in '39, war raised its ugly head,
The bombs they fell on England, ... one fell on my shed,
But we fought and beat the Germans 'cos we knew just what to do:
We stuck our fingers in our ears and went ting-a-ling-a-loo.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:04 am

Now Suzie she came and she sat next to me,
Her complexion was just like a rose.
And I couldn't help noticing a little mark
Across the bridge of her nose!
She said "that mark that you're staring at,
was caused through glasses my dear"
I said "why don't you use contact lenses?"
She said "They don't hold enough beer!"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:38 am

bob wrote:...I think the Americans would appreciate that.

Big bristols and slapstick....what's not to like? 8)

I'm convinced arguments about what is "PC" and what is not are based on a false premise: that broadcasters actually care what the public thinks.
So called "special interest groups" are typically composed of a relatively small number of humourless extremists, both conservative and liberal. The number of these characters that ring/write broadcasters to complain about content they deem inappropriate are smaller still.
Are we supposed to believe that a mere handful of moaners dictate what is broadcast to many millions of people? That 21st century broadcasters are conscientious?
oh please :roll:
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:59 am

Actually DOY I think it sometimes comes down to fashion and popularity rather than a genuine concern for PC.

I think I have said this before on this forum, but for me the Austin Power’s films are pure Benny Hill. Right down to the Shaguar. I’m not complaining.

These are in vogue and popular, therefore allowable.

Likewise Little Britain was full of non PC gags and characters like Ting Tong, and women vomiting after eating food served by an Asian lady. But its popular, so very few PC complaints.

Catherine Tate in one sketch managed to make fun of seven cultural race groups. But we like it.

Benny Hill is no longer fashionable therefore he was a sexist dirty old man whose Chinaman impression also marks him out as a racist ……. I think not.

It says more about us than it does Benny.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:31 am

Agreed, notions of political correctness are as ephemeral as fashions...for fashion victims.
A sad and dangerous state of affairs when morals are molded by media.
But despite claims of "sexism" I thought Benny Hill far more sophisticated and considerably less offensive than "Austin Powers."
Those movies were about as funny as a train wreck.
So, perhaps there really is no accounting for taste. i dunno :roll:
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Previous

Return to The knobs are on my side