Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

TV Shows "borrowing" from steptoe and son.

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: TV Shows "borrowing" from steptoe and son.

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:24 pm

Ben Rigsby wrote:...highly predictable stances - less polarised in todays climate- taken by rival political schools of thought.

What rivals? Sanctioned practitioners have become (mostly) indistinguishable, and as the mad among them grow worse, the easier it is for extremists to appear moderate. Calculated, ever diminishing returns. You've raised another key point, are Steptoe episodes like "Tea For Two" and "My Old Man's A Tory" apolitical? Perhaps, yet they have a comedic conscience that cannot be denied and do not age. Did Steptoe raise the bar too high? lol pull the other one :) Cheers Ben
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ben Rigsby » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:38 pm

What rivals? Sanctioned practitioners have become (mostly) indistinguishable, and as the mad among them grow worse, the easier it is for extremists to appear moderate. Calculated, ever diminishing returns. You've raised another key point, are Steptoe episodes like "Tea For Two" and "My Old Man's A Tory" apolitical? Perhaps, yet they have a comedic conscience that cannot be denied and do not age.[/quote]

agree with your first point totally! but what are we gonna DO about it?

i certainly hope i dont start any kind of Steptoe fan flame war over politics or anything (our Steptoe BOND is worth more than that eh?) but i cant help wondering how many on here would side with Albert and how many with Harold (or the yellow-bellies in between)? :lol:

Steptoe strikes me as apolitical. if G & S ever tried to promote any kind of ideological stance in their writing then it was -at least for this thicko - too subtle to register.
and therefore, from their point of view, a failure.

Yank, you were also bang on about the 1. laudable "comedic conscience" and 2. the timelessness of Steptoe i thought.
the series confronts the viewer with despairing social issues of the day, like poverty (ditto 2013) but also addresses the (often dysfunctional) complexity of close familial relationships - an issue relevant to any social class that will continue for as long as there are human beans (IE before we become digital flesh robots or summat).
Steptoe And Son remains relevant!

BTW Harry and Phil and my earlier OFAH 'fart' post:

youre probably right guys, the memorys not so good these days.........

im an old man!!!!

:wink:
Ben Rigsby

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:58 am

Ben Rigsby wrote:...our Steptoe BOND is worth more than that eh?

1000 quid, plus profits (second movie) 8)
As stated elsewhere, writers for television be they satirists or dramatists, that have seen Steptoe and deny it's influence upon their own work probably aren't being entirely truthful. Ahead of it's time and still is, and as you've pointed out still relevant, not just a time capsule. Though I've often wondered if some wouldn't prefer it was a time capsule, buried and forgotten, the show set such a wonderfully high standard for quality. Of course creativity isn't about oneupmanship but Steptoe is a challenge aspiring and established writers should face. Phil once suggested Ray & Alan's scripts should be taught in schools and I heartily agree. What a brilliant teaching tool! If kids are having fun they're much more likely to learn, seems so basic! lol :)
Fear based education, the "benefit" of negative reinforcement is as ugly and outdated as Pavlov.

Another bit...."The Addams Family", the original 1960's series....didn't it seem the Addams set bore a striking resemblance to Steptoe? A larger stage, but lots of crazy stuff cobbled together, taxidermy all over the place including a bear, very much like Oil Drum Lane.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:36 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Another bit...."The Addams Family", the original 1960's series....didn't it seem the Addams set bore a striking resemblance to Steptoe? A larger stage, but lots of crazy stuff cobbled together, taxidermy all over the place including a bear, very much like Oil Drum Lane.

The bear gets around. In the episode of OFAH "It's Only Rock and Roll" there is a stuffed bear in Del's garage!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:29 am

PhilGlass wrote:...The bear gets around.

Moose too. More than a decade before Fawlty Towers, the Addams set had a moose head hanging in the lounge...the same left antler pointing in the wrong direction :)
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:30 pm

Now thinking about it there is a similarity to Fankie Barrow and the Only fools and Horses heavies. Henry Woolf by the way now lives in Canada since moving with hisa wife 1983 as an Acting/drama teacher and is still going strong aged 83. I also loved him post Steptoe in the 70's made for School educational show "Words and pictures" with egg head Wordy when I was a kid in School. :P
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat May 17, 2014 12:44 pm

Steptoe episode ‘Pot Black’ (1970) opens with Harold discovering one of Albert’s false teeth in his steak and kidney, “This isn’t one of mine! You’ve been decorating pastry again!”

An opening scene of Tobe Hooper’s horror/comedy ‘Texas Chainsaw II’ (1986) has clansman/cook Drayton Sawyer (the brilliant Jim Siedow) accepting a Best Chili trophy in an interstate competition. As he begins his acceptance speech, the woman that presented his award greedily spoons chili into her mouth and discovers a tooth....and it’s not one of hers. Sawyer snatches it away and says, “Oops, must be one of them hard shell peppercorns!”

If only Albert had thought of that :roll:
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Sat May 17, 2014 5:34 pm

I watched a documentary about Leonard Rossiter earlier on no mention of his 2 appearances on Steptoe. But in a clip from Rising Damp I noticed that Alan and Philip who were medical students had a skeleton hanging near the door in their flat :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Sat May 17, 2014 9:24 pm

Archie wrote:I watched a documentary about Leonard Rossiter earlier on no mention of his 2 appearances on Steptoe. But in a clip from Rising Damp I noticed that Alan and Philip who were medical students had a skeleton hanging near the door in their flat :o

You've got to ask yourself the credibility of the so-called researchers on these documentaries with their facts or lack of. Most weren't even born when Leonard sadly passed in 1984 let alone were alive when he was at his height although that shouldn't be a barrier to obtaining relevant information about his TV & Filmography. :roll:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dolly_Clackett » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:22 pm

Hello to everyone, my first post...been a fan and apostle of Steptoe and Son since an early age.

I'm quite surprised reading this thread that many people have questioned the similarities, at least initially. I have always seen Only Fools as a re-imagining of Steptoe and was always aware of the credit John Sullivan gave to it.

Sullivan is standing on the shoulders of Galton & Simpson. I always imagined the Trotters being relations of the Steptoe's.

In the OFAH episode "Only Rock 'n Roll" we see the inside of the Trotters garage...and it's there plain to see...a big stuffed bear.
A whole packet!
Dolly_Clackett

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:55 pm

Hello and welcome DC, (we're not formal here) unless you prefer Mrs, Miss or Mizz Clackett? Anyhoo, how's they hangin. :P

Re Steptoe & OFAH. They say imitation is a form of flattery, or plagiary. :wink:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby The late Mrs Steptoe » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:23 pm

Dolly_Clackett wrote:Hello to everyone, my first post...been a fan and apostle of Steptoe and Son since an early age.

I'm quite surprised reading this thread that many people have questioned the similarities, at least initially. I have always seen Only Fools as a re-imagining of Steptoe and was always aware of the credit John Sullivan gave to it.

Sullivan is standing on the shoulders of Galton & Simpson. I always imagined the Trotters being relations of the Steptoe's.

In the OFAH episode "Only Rock 'n Roll" we see the inside of the Trotters garage...and it's there plain to see...a big stuffed bear.

Hi DC! :D And a very belated welcome. Sorry about that but I've been here there and everywhere (except here, of course) for the last so many weeks. Anyway - there is a sort of connection here, with a much repeated comedic scene;

Did you know... the famous 'brush' gag in OFAH was actually in Open All Hours - first and 15 years earlier. :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77pAE1s ... b5PfLDm3jj

At 0:37 seconds in. Not the raucous laughter as in Only Fools though eh? :wink: It makes me wonder if David Jason 'suggested' something about the joke to John Sullivan at some point? I'd say I love OAH and OFAH about equally and it stopped me in my tracks the other week to see this here when I watched the complete series through on DVD because I've always considered this to be my favourite episode.

And after suddenly getting properly addicted to Steptoe in the 90s (the 'lost' BBC2 re-runs played no small part in that) after seeing and loving episodes since I can remember, I was seeing Del and co in very similar situations and thinking it was just my imagination going silly or something. I'm also glad that people have mentioned Hancock's Half Hour being something of an influence on the much later Bottom. Just without the naughty language and extreme violence, perhaps. :lol:
"Aaarold... you should come round this side - her drawers have just dropped off!"
The late Mrs Steptoe

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:25 am

Anyone seen the comedy series Bowler (1973) with the late Actor George Baker? Reason asking was has anyone noticed the similarity with his character and Del boy of Only Fools and Horses , indeed Steptoe as George's portrayal of Bowler sounded a bit like Harry H, with both salt of the earth type who used French terminology, although saying that Frankie Barrow (Henry Woolf) out of Steptoe did similar, so maybe he has a shout too. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cmd4QZr5ao

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:49 am

In “Robbery With Violence” (1970) Albert and Harold don’t know why exemplars would be necessary.
And the ink quickly finds its way onto the inspector’s coat.
There’s a virtually identical scene, note for note, in “Raising Arizona” (1987).
Happenstance? No chance :roll:.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:27 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:In “Robbery With Violence” (1970) Albert and Harold don’t know why exemplars would be necessary.
And the ink quickly finds its way onto the inspector’s coat.
There’s a virtually identical scene, note for note, in “Raising Arizona” (1987).
Happenstance? No chance :roll:.

They say imitation is a form of flattery. Others call it plagiarism. :wink:

Ilovesteptoe

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side