Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

TV Shows "borrowing" from steptoe and son.

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby PaulaT » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:18 pm

PhilGlass wrote:I agree there is a possibility - he did have a lot of hair in series 8, (as well as a lot of weight!!!!) but where OUTSIDE OF STEPTOE did he have this?

In Shoestring, his hair is almost scraggy and messy.

He did grow his hair for Steptoe, he would not have been so scruffy outside of it. As i said before in Steptoe it was totally in character for Harold to wear one. Harold would not have looked old, he would have done everything to prevent it.

Whether he did or not (I still say he didn't - they say his hair didn't move, that is due to a little invention called Hairspray, it gives the effect of non moving hair) it doesn't really matter much. However I do think in Series 8 Harry looks worse than he ever did - in 'Back In Fashion' look at his eyes - he is obviously very tired and his weigh was an obvious issue (although again in character). In 'Shoestring' you can see that he was a heartattack waiting to happen.

Regardless of any of it, his acting never suffered. Ironically, Wilf was the dapper, smart one going the opposite way and actually putting in a manky set of false teeth.

But back to the subject...

I have mixed views on those final OFAH episodes - originally they were shown at 9pm on christmas night for 80-90 minutes. I was knackered when they were on. Having recently watched them again, as stand alone episodes, they werent so bad. Sullivan was VERY unlucky - he wrote them ALL with uncle Albert in, but when filming came about (the three were all filmed together) Albert died so he had to quickly re-write. Then, they took back the rights to use 'Who Wants To Be A Millionaire' so he had to re-write that episode apparently overnight...

I think the fact they brought in the wives and moved the characters along is actually what made OFAH last as long as it did.
I guess Harry had to lose weight because of his heart condition? Am I right? He suited being a bigger man, I think. But look at how Peter Sellers had to do the same. He always looked quite gaunt and dieted!!!!!
I love to watch the sunbeams glinting off the carsey roof
PaulaT

Postby bob » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:58 am

Trying to pull all of this stuff together, I think we should remember that everything looked bigger in the 70's ...... including Harry.

I'm not sure about the hair / wig debate, I don't think he did, he was just following the fashion at the time. Even Willy has a much ticker head of hair in the 74 series. Hairspay for men was advertised on TV. QPR's goalkeeper being the acceptable face of male grooming !!!!! Another phrase that had a completely different meaning in the 70's.

Good debate though.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Arthur Philpott » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:12 am

Just watching "The Regency Commode" episode on GOLD as I type this....you can see Harry's hair just has a smallish tuft protruding at the front....and is not that thick on top....take a look for yourself...

But later today....when Frankie Barrow & his Boys calls round in 1974...selling "Insurance" Harry will have a Massive THICK Mop of hair....equally thick with no little tuft at the front....and those two episodes are only a few years apart too....no way would it suddenly thicken up or change style that much naturally....

it doesn't matter of course....many Actors....men and women... wear hair pieces....MANY Pop stars do too !

It's common in the Entertainment Industry
What Exactly is...a polopony ?
Arthur Philpott

Postby PaulaT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:08 am

Arthur Philpott wrote:Just watching "The Regency Commode" episode on GOLD as I type this....you can see Harry's hair just has a smallish tuft protruding at the front....and is not that thick on top....take a look for yourself...

But later today....when Frankie Barrow & his Boys calls round in 1974...selling "Insurance" Harry will have a Massive THICK Mop of hair....equally thick with no little tuft at the front....and those two episodes are only a few years apart too....no way would it suddenly thicken up or change style that much naturally....

it doesn't matter of course....many Actors....men and women... wear hair pieces....MANY Pop stars do too !

It's common in the Entertainment Industry

EXACTLY!!!!!!!! These people were actors, playing a part, wearing a costume. For heaven's sake Wilfrid didn't really have false teeth as bad as the ones he wore on the show :shock: :shock: :shock:. If they wore hairpieces or not it really doesn't take away from the amazingly funny and talented guys they were. NOTHING can take away from that :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) !!!!!!!!!!
PaulaT

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:07 pm

Yeah.

When I commented on harry's weight I wasn't being derogative (or do I mean derogatory?), it was just something I had noticed.

Whether it was a piece or not, he does have a lot of hair in Series 8.

Of course he wore one in Series 7 when he became Muriel Steptoe!!

Isn't it amazing how nobody ever comments about women wearing wigs? lol
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby PaulaT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:13 pm

I'm sure everyone knows we are only making passing comments and simple observations here and do not ever want to take away from the actors and their superb talent.

And yes Harold definitely wore a wig whilst playing his"sister" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!!!!!

I have been informed by a very good friend of mine that Dusty Springfield wore a wig :shock: . I'd say actually a lot of ladies' huge hairstyles in the 60's and 70's were hairpieces added on to their ordinary hair.

I personally have no problem with men with or without hair.
PaulaT

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:47 pm

PaulaT wrote:I'm sure everyone knows we are only making passing comments and simple observations here and do not ever want to take away from the actors and their superb talent.

And yes Harold definitely wore a wig whilst playing his"sister" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!!!!!

I have been informed by a very good friend of mine that Dusty Springfield wore a wig :shock: . I'd say actually a lot of ladies' huge hairstyles in the 60's and 70's were hairpieces added on to their ordinary hair.

I personally have no problem with men with or without hair.

Someone once asked Dolly Parton "How long does it take to do your hair?" she replied with "I don't know, I'm never there!".

Nothing wrong with hairpieces, its the rediculous ones that I find funny. At least get a convincing one....
PhilGlass

Postby PaulaT » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:10 pm

"Someone once asked Dolly Parton "How long does it take to do your hair?" she replied with "I don't know, I'm never there!".Good quote Phil :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: !!!!!!!!

We'll not mention Elton John, will we :shock: :oops: :lol: ?????
PaulaT

Postby Arthur Philpott » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:40 am

I watch Gerry Anderson's Sci Fi series U.F.O. - much is made of the purple wigs the moonbase Girls all wear (Gabrelle Drake etc) .....

....but the Three Male Leads all wore Hairpieces too !

Ed Bishop - who had Dark hair - has to wear a White haired wig as Cmdr. Ed Straker....

George Sewell wears a large Dark Reddish Gingery wig as Col. Alec Freeman - George had short neat dark hair in "Special Branch" & "The Detectives"

Mike Billington (Col. Paul Foster) actually has his OWN hair for his first four episodes ("Exposed", "Conflict", "Survival" & "The Dalotek Affair") ....which looks like Harry's did in the sixties...dark and not that thick....however then Mike suddenly gets thicker Light Brown hair (Episodes: "E.S.P.", "The Square Triangle", ""Kill Straker !" etc)

Ed Bishop & George Sewell were required to wear wigs...(Like the First Two "Dr.Who" actors William Hartnell & Patrick Troughton)....as the Characters required it....where as we must assume the Producers decided that Mike Billington...playing a younger Hearthrob character...ought to have a bit more "Barnet"...

Likewise Sean Connery as James Bond !

Re Harry in that final Steptoe season....I must admit before joining this forum I had never noticed how "Tubby" he had got by then...but you are quite right...and he did not look that well either in some stories...he looked very fatigued ! (Shame !!)

Harry also earlier appeared in an episode of Richard Greene's "Robin Hood" !
Arthur Philpott

Postby Arthur Philpott » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:49 am

As for Willy's FALSE TEETH......

"Me Old Teeth...they flew out of me mouth in 1939 when that land mine Exploded...."
"Best set of Teeth I ever had...they Don't make 'em like this Anymore.....oh Curses...me Gums have shrunk !!"

Harry's look of sheer disbelief, stomach turning shock, and utter disgust as the old boy pops 'em straight into his mouth....is a Classic Steptoe moment...! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arthur Philpott

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:15 am

Arthur Philpott wrote:
Harry also earlier appeared in an episode of Richard Greene's "Robin Hood" !

Harry actually appeared in 4 episodes of Richard Greenes 'Robin Hood' and Wilfrid Brambell appeared in two.

Several early shows connect them, they were both in episodes of 'Scotland Yard', 'The Edgar Wallace Theatre' and let's not forget they played in the same film in 1959 'The Torrents of Spring' but did not appear on-screen together and therefore most likely never even realised!!
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:23 pm

Welcome to the forum Paula T 8)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby PaulaT » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:27 pm

Thank you Archie. It's lovely to be here :D :D :D :D :D !!!!!!!!
PaulaT

Postby steve sheffield » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:39 pm

Just watched back in fashion, on cleaning and then examining the oval table at the beggining harold descovers Fyffes Banana's wrote underneath it.
That is exactly what Del boy descovers on examining the "Queen Anne" cabinet in one episode. The episode with the posh antique dealer he slaps on the bum!
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby DAH1 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:05 pm

First Post. Big S&S fan and also a big fan of OFAH. However John Sulivans influence's (copying?) from other shows is beyond debate. As well as the incidences already mentioned does anyone see the similarities in the S&S episode where they go to the pictures (to watch the fellini film rather than nudes of the sixties!) and the OFAH episode, Royal Flush, when the brothers go to the opera ?
DAH1

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side