Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

TV Shows "borrowing" from steptoe and son.

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby Karl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:19 am

I get the feeling that jamie Oliver is not popular on here :lol: :lol:
i'm glad its not just me................. :lol:
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby Archie » Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:04 pm

bob wrote:Graham

I agree with everything you say except that a 48 year old can no longer pull the birds. We at least that is my assesment as a 48 year old !!!

I'm 48 and it's been years since I pulled any crumpet :cry:
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:24 pm

Age certainly has nothing to do with it...

I'm 29 and can't even get any crumpet!! Even Dolly Clackett wouldn't have a go! Having a chronic skin condition and an addiction to sweets might not help... lol (Im tucking in to some Haribo right now, delicious).

Bob - you're probably right, Wilfrid probably would have taken it, his offers in the 80's were not as forthcoming... and thinking about it, he played a rag and bone man many times (in "High rise Donkey" he even looks like Albert) so I'll conceed to that!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:08 pm

I watcher Terry and June earlier on, in one scene Terry is talking on a CB radio (remember them) and reading a CB book. He doesn't see a furniture van and drives his car into the back of the van, the driver comes out the house doesn't see Terry and closes the door and drives off !.

A scene straight from Steptoe and Son Ride Again when Harold ends up driving the cart into the Pickfords van :shock:
Archie

Postby steve sheffield » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Archie wrote:I watcher Terry and June earlier on, in one scene Terry is talking on a CB radio (remember them) and reading a CB book. He doesn't see a furniture van and drives his car into the back of the van, the driver comes out the house doesn't see Terry and closes the door and drives off !.

A scene straight from Steptoe and Son Ride Again when Harold ends up driving the cart into the Pickfords van :shock:

Regarding that clip in the film, Where Albert says "York? who do you think you are? Bleedin Dick Turpin?"
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby Archie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:19 pm

Did Pickfords get a "Bung" from the movie I wonder ?.
Their vans were featured when Harold drove the cart on to a van, then when he got his bonce bashed from one of their doors :wink:
Archie

Postby Archie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:12 pm

An episode of Sykes was on today, the pompous neighbour slipped on some rubbish that Eric had spilled and hurt his leg.

He considered suing Eric and lay in bed while Eric ran 'Up and Down Stairs' at his beck and call :o
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:27 am

short of an admission by writers, it's difficult to know if they pinched/were influenced by anything from Steptoe. but as i was watching the series for the first time recently, a few possible examples did come to mind immediately.
was Men of Letters the first to parody the traditional (inevitable!) Scrabble argument? possibly. it brought to mind a Scrabble flashback scene in the first series of "Spaced"...
Daisy (Jessica Stevenson) wants to use ProV, "...an ingredient in shampoo that makes the hair silky and smooth!"
Tim (Simon Pegg): "You can't use ProV, it's a word they made up to make shampoo sound important!"
it ends with the board tossed in the air and game pieces thrown about the room.
an example from cinema might be found in "Lock, Stock, and 2 Smoking Barrels", the Samoan pub scene. Bacon (Jason Statham) orders a drink and gets something resembling a fruit salad with booze in it...
Bacon: "What's that?"
Barman: "A cocktail. You ordered a cocktail."
Bacon: "No, I ordered a refreshing drink. I didn't expect a rain forest. You could fall in love with a orangutan in that!"
the parallel with the Sixty-Five Today episode is obvious, but it's still funny.
in the Sanford and Son version of 65 Today, Fred (Redd Foxx) gets his drink and asks, "Where's the ice cream? Looks like a sundae."
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:02 pm

I've heard the 'Smells like a wrestlers jockstrap' line in several comedies over the years :o
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:58 pm

here's another cinema example...
the restaurant scene from Men Of Property, when Albert turns to the next table and says, "Hey missus...you want that bread?...Are you gonna finish that ham?", is very close to a similar scene in The Blues Brothers movie, but the Belushi/Aykroyd version is much cheekier:
"...How much for the women? Sell me your children!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue May 17, 2011 3:20 am

Another telly bit, from the first series of Spaced, the famous rave episode ("Epiphanies.")
At the peak of the disco outfreakage* there's a freeze frame of Tyres (Michael Smiley) with the caption, Wilfred B. Rambell.
presumably because mr smiley hadn't seen to his periodontal work yet.

*tip of the hat to Bruce Bickford
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Tue May 17, 2011 7:06 pm

Wilfred ??? It should be an I instead of an E. Their writers should do their research lol. No, it's an easy mistake that everyone made. Wilfrid often claimed to his friends (made popular by Maureen Corbett) that he was once listed ina program as "William Bummole!". Even his plaque at the BBC is spelled wrongly!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Wed May 18, 2011 8:25 am

I never knew about the BBC plaque, shame on them, they should have the decency to change it.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Wed May 18, 2011 6:39 pm

The way they've " lost" episodes of classic comedy -Steptoe,Dads army,the Likely lads,Hancock, to name a few i'm really not suprised that they spelled Wilfrids name wrong on his plaque, a disgrace!! :roll:
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed May 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Is it fair to say that Steptoe & Son helped build the BBC?
That countless past and present careers wouldn't be if not for Steptoe?
That the show was and remains a profound influence? Obviously yes.
Then how the sam hill does the BBC misspell Wilfrid's name on a plaque.
And leave it there.
It defies description, in polite company anyway.
That's like NBC putting up a plaque reading "Johnny Carsin", you just don't do it.
Dirty Old Yank

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side