Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

TV Shows "borrowing" from steptoe and son.

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Wed May 18, 2011 9:24 pm

I think people have the right to be fussy over how their name is spelled. My full name is "Phillip" (if you ever call me that I will cause you harm!) and note the double L spelling. I use my full name for formal things and it bugs me how people spell it, simply because hte more conventional spelling doesn't look right to me.

Wilfrid was particular about it and often pointed it out to people while signing autographs. In "The Boys" he was credited as "Wilfred Bramble", perhaps the worst of them all. Sometiems people can think someone is being fussyt, but I think things like the BBC plaque just show a lack of respect and a lack of professionalism. Incidentally, I have heard Wilfred Hyde Wyte had the opposite, his name being mis-spelled with an I. Thank god nobody ever spelled Harry Z. Corbett's name wrong!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Thu May 19, 2011 8:03 pm

I smell another campaign here to get the BBC to change their plaque.

As you pointed it out Phil, I think first refusal should be yours, but it would be a fitting thing if we all wrote to the BBC and asked them to correct this error (which meant so much to Wilfrid) in honour of his centenary which occurs next March.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Thu May 19, 2011 8:41 pm

Bob

A great idea - the plaques were apparently controlled by Comic Heritage, the BBC displays them but doesn't make tem (this is new info to me). They were unveilled in 2011 by Galton and Simpson, the super talented Sir Nigel Hawthorne and Richard briars and family and friends.

Replicas were made and sold for auction. i have heard there is a possibility Wilfri'd original was REMOVED and sold, therefore is no longer there!!!!!!!!!! Though they could be confusing it with the replica.

Either way, there is either no longer one for him, or a mis-spelled one. I think Comic Heritage should be campaigned first and pressured in to correcting it. I can point us to several stories of Wilfrid being annoyed by his name being mis spelled. When the average Joe Public fan does it, that's fine, we don't all pay attention, but they are meant to be honouring him.

I would rather someone else lead the campaign but I will certainly be happy to give it involvement and support! HOWEVER, I think it needs to be done in an organised way, and not just everyone writing to them randomly. An organised campaign will hold much more credibility. (With my Galton and Simpson knighthood campaign about to get a boost and the steptoe mag as well as my own website I'm a bit steptoe'd out at the moment!)

COMIC HERITAGE WEBSITE: http://www.theheritagefoundation.info/blueplaques.html
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu May 19, 2011 8:59 pm

PhilGlass wrote:...I think it needs to be done in an organised way, and not just everyone writing to them randomly...
COMIC HERITAGE WEBSITE: http://www.theheritagefoundation.info/blueplaques.html

Agreed, but a stack of handwritten letters is harder to ignore than emails which can be accidentally confused with spam and instantly deleted. Both might be best, just a thought. Is there a postal address for the Heritage Foundation?
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Thu May 19, 2011 10:33 pm

Ok Phil and all

I don’t mind running with this one. Give me a few days and I will come back with some more. I guess it could be a mixture of things. I know from experience that 10 individually written letters are worth more than 1000 signature petition.

I’ll be back soon.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Fri May 20, 2011 6:16 am

Phil, Its Richard Briers NOT Briars!! :lol: :lol: :wink:
Lets get the plaque sorted!!!
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby PhilGlass » Fri May 20, 2011 8:57 am

Yank -

I just meant let's not do it randomly - but handwritten letters are the way to go!!

Karl -

Ha, I kind of stepped on my own point there didn't I? Spelling the name wrong... "okay you noticed my deliberate mistake!"...

Bob

I have the address for Comic Heritage, and maybe bugging the BBC might make them pressure comic heritage aswell just to shut us up!!
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Sun May 22, 2011 9:47 am

Quick update :

I spoke with the guy who runs the heritage plaques. He explained that the plaque they put up a few years ago was taken down. The BBC commissioned their own brass plaque to go into the ground outside TV centre. Bit like that road in Hollywood.

While Wilfrid’s name is spelt wrong on the heritage site, the BBC may have got it right when they had their plaques made. I would suggest that before we bombard the BBC with meaningless complaints we check out if the new plaque contains the correct spelling.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:51 pm

Good idea Bob...
PhilGlass

Postby winstonlegthigh » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:12 pm

(posted this in another thread but i think its more suitable here!)

i agree with the idea of similarities between Steptoe and Only Fools, they're actually quite glaring when you think about it.

Rodney is sort of like Harold in certain aspects insofar as his wanting to break away from Del and Del being of the "what would you've been?" mentality towards him. Loads of stuff is similar to Steptoe. There are even certain episodes that are like, a take off from Steptoe.

The Lead Man Cometh, the concept of nicking lead from the roof is taken by OFAH in that episode where Del witnesses a miracle where that statue of the virgin mary starts crying when he only went to church to confess to having bought nicked lead cuz he felt guilty and it turns out the lead he bought was nicked from the church roof.

Robbery With Violence, the 4 skinheads and a pakistani motif is used in only fools and horses where grandad lies about being mugged and keeps changing his story to "i tried to stop em del but there was 5 of em" which then turns to 6, which then turns to 7.

There's quite a few others but they aren't immediately apparent to me, i'm an old man 'arold, me memory ain't what it was It's not quite plaguarism but it's clear one is a take off from the other, that much is undeniable.

And also just as a general thing, John Sullivan, the writer of Only Fools openly admits in The Making of Only Fools and Horses that he first got his idea that he could or should try writing after watching The Offer because of the mixing of pathos/tragedy and comedy.

And on a slight tangent, Citizen Smith is pretty identical to Only Fools too, with Wolfie being Del, Tucker being Grandad, Ken being Rodney, the basic framework is all there.
winstonlegthigh

Postby bob » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:13 pm

And of course Citizen Smith was written by …… John Sullivan

The Steptoe episode that I have seen copied more than any other is ‘The Three Feathers’ I have seen versions of it in ‘OFAH’, Lovejoy and many others. Has anybody seen a pre-Steptoe version of this plot ???
bob
Site Admin

Postby Ivor Biggun » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:37 pm

I don't see the connection that the OP tried to make comparing Del Boy to Frankie Barrow. Frankie Barrow was a mobster who used his muscle men to get people to give up their money by fair means or foul, Del Boy was just a guy trying to get by on his wits and the gullibility of others to get them to fall into his schemes or buy whatever he was selling. I can make a better comparison of Del Boy to the sons of the Boswell family from Bread who also relied on their wits and frequently crazy schemes to bring in enough money for their mum to keep the household going. Their schemes frequently fell apart before the big payoff could be collected or ultimately ended up costing them more than they made just like with many of Del Boys' schemes.

Oh, and I hate when jokes and plotlines get plagiarized. If I recognize a joke in a new television series or film as being recycled it instantly gives me a negative opinion of whatever it is I'm watching. I've recently acquired the first season and film version of Up Pompeii! and most of the jokes are blatantly stolen from earlier Carry On films. The writer of Up Pompeii! was also a writer for Carry On, but that still doesn't excuse it. I consider it an insult as a viewer that the writer couldn't even be bothered to create something original for me to enjoy but instead took something that I may have enjoyed and laughed at 10 years ago and now expects me to enjoy and laugh at it again with the same enthusiasm I had when I heard or saw it the first time.
Ivor Biggun

Postby winstonlegthigh » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:07 pm

Yeah, you could make a better case for Harry Fenning from Citizen Smith being a take on Frankie Barrow but even then, doesn't really fit.
winstonlegthigh

Postby bob » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:48 pm

I loved Frankie Howerd and Up Pompeii certainly wasn't the best thing he did.

I understand what you are saying Ivor B, but at the time most of the "Carry on" humour was off limits for the BBC. I think they just kept on trying to get away with more and more.
bob
Site Admin

Postby taylorslade » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:42 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:I don't see the connection that the OP tried to make comparing Del Boy to Frankie Barrow. Frankie Barrow was a mobster who used his muscle men to get people to give up their money by fair means or foul, Del Boy was just a guy trying to get by on his wits and the gullibility of others to get them to fall into his schemes or buy whatever he was selling. I can make a better comparison of Del Boy to the sons of the Boswell family from Bread who also relied on their wits and frequently crazy schemes to bring in enough money for their mum to keep the household going. Their schemes frequently fell apart before the big payoff could be collected or ultimately ended up costing them more than they made just like with many of Del Boys' schemes.

The main point that I was illustrating, was that the Frankie Barrow character would often use the same kind of incorrect French phrases and ones that he would make up. Fair enough, few ideas are 100% original, but this was a character trait which Del Boy would become well known for, and it's one of the things which people always praise John Sullivan for coming up with, and like many of the glaring similarites between the two shows, it can't be a coincidence, especially when looking at other examples.

I never said that Del was a villain like Barrow and my comparison between the two had nothing to do with that.
"Big Bristols , she had."
--Come dancing.
taylorslade

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side