Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

TV Shows "borrowing" from steptoe and son.

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: TV Shows "borrowing" from steptoe and son.

Postby dobby » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:38 pm

Only Fools and Horses is really bad in its copying of Steptoe, sometimes I cringe when I see the similarities. I first started noticing it with the “banana boxes” as mentioned before, then I started seeing whole episodes borrowed: The Seance episode and the card gambling episode to name a few. John Sullivan has still made some more jokes out of it, but it is still too close for comfort.

And the character philosophies are directly copied, especially Rodney and Harold. Both first episodes are also very similar – the young member of the partnership trying to escape the older one and prove that they can make it on their own, but failing.

I still like both sitcoms though!
dobby

Postby bob » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:52 pm

Welcome Dobby

I must admit the more you look at OFAH, the closer to Steptoe it appears. What John Sullivan did, in my opinion, was expand the cast beyond the two main characters. Still it is a shame that OFAH gats all the plaudits and SAS gets forgoten.

Still that is what we are here for.

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:03 am

Steptoe & son will never be forgotten Bob,it may be a lot less poular these days but,its in the "Classic" category, part of comedy history and legendary in my opinion.There are some great sitcoms out there (old & new) but nothing can touch our beloved Albert & 'Arold!
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby Ronnie_1990 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:04 pm

Only Fools and horses is not that bad. I am going to be writing an artical about this subject soon, If anyone knows of any borrowing not listed here it would help me alot. I like both series but cannot remember all the episodes and details. :)
Ronnie_1990

Postby winstonlegthigh » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:58 am

they've been using the incidental music from Steptoe in An Idiot Abroad, second series, the show with Karl Pilkington/Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.
winstonlegthigh

Postby Archie » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:04 pm

Only fools often started with the family gathered round the table, as did Steptoe :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby bob » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:39 pm

I really buy the Steptoe comparison with OFAH, I never did before.

I must watch 'An idiot Abroad' for the Steptoe music alone
bob
Site Admin

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:55 pm

With so many recent and upcoming birthdays, reminds me of another cinema example....
In the "Sixty-Five Today" Chinese restaurant, Harold threatens to shove a pair of chopsticks up Albert's nose, a scene replicated in Beat Takeshi's Yakuza movie, "Brother" (2000).
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ben Rigsby » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Hi :D

as another selfish, scheming anti-hero you cant help but love anyway, doesnt Edmund Blackadders character owe a lot to Albert?
i wouldnt be surprised (given his age) if Ben Elton was a fellow Steptoephile influenced by G & S.

dressed in similar Dickensian-style garb, Geoffrey Baildon as the wizened, working class "Crowman" in "Worzel Gummidge reminds me of Albie baby a bit too.

cheers all
Ben Rigsby

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:04 pm

"Don't call me Albie!" lol
Welcome Ben and Dobby.
In 2009 Ben Elton participated in a Radio 2 documentary, "Very Nearly An Armful: The Galton & Simpson Story." I've not heard it, maybe you can find it archived somewhere.
I don't live in the UK, but I don't think it would be off tack to suggest contemporary British sitcom writers, and writers in general for that matter, denying their being influenced by Galton and Simpson aren't being entirely truthful. As Coco Chanel once wisely observed, anyone who thinks they're original has no sense of history. Edmund shares qualities with Harold as well in that he's trapped, surrounded by everything that gets on his bristols but frequently bears a grudging responsibility for. No matter what he attempts it nearly always goes wrong.
Could as easily be describing Basil Fawlty there.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:09 pm

Welcome New Members

I have a copy of the Documentary I will try to post it on the site soon
bob
Site Admin

Postby stuart » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:26 pm

bob wrote:Welcome Dobby

I must admit the more you look at OFAH, the closer to Steptoe it appears. What John Sullivan did, in my opinion, was expand the cast beyond the two main characters. Still it is a shame that OFAH gats all the plaudits and SAS gets forgoten.

Still that is what we are here for.

Bob

I read the posts here with interest. I went through a spell of watching ofah religiously for a long time in the 1990s, and when I first saw the early series of Steptoe and Son, I couldn't believe how much John Sullivan had borrowed! It annoys me that ofah is so popular when it is Steptoe and Son which is the true original.
stuart

Postby steve sheffield » Sun May 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Just watching another episode of OFAH, one in middle of the series where Rodney and Cassandra are having marriage difficulties. Anyway one of the scenes is Del and Raquel talking in the bedroom. Amongst all the junk in the bedroom is a an item at the bottom of the bed with "Hotel Miramar" on it.
As we know the Miramar was also the hotel Harold and Zita spent their illfated honeymoon.
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby Archie » Sun May 20, 2012 6:17 pm

I missed the Hotel Miramar connection :o in OFAH and On the Buses the dialogue often took part over the dinner table.
Complete with eating and smoking :shock:
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby winstonlegthigh » Tue May 29, 2012 8:16 pm

in the last episode of the first series of the green green grass boycie and marlene are snowed in and boycie is trying to call someone who is out skiing at the Alps but he can't get through and he goes they must be out on the piste and Marlene goes, yeah thats not the worst idea i've heard all day as she reaches for a bottle of wine, which uses the motif from the skiing holiday episode when Alberts leaving after Harold breaks his legs and can't go and Harold goes remember to go out on the piste (practise slope) first and Albert goes i intend to mate...every bleedin' night!

similar motif anyway and it's pretty specific.
winstonlegthigh

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side