Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Most memorable scene's from tv or film.

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Re: Most memorable scene's from tv or film.

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:16 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Albert talks about...Christmas Puddings being as black as a Gorilla's goolies. I've Never touched a mouthful since. And I'm talking Xmas pud here :lol:

Wanna really lose your appetite? The yank slang "pud" means something else entirely, was years before I realized you lot meant pudding. Imagine the holiday kitchen confusion, "If it's crimbo pud you're after, you're on your own mate." Lost in translation :roll:
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:23 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Albert talks about...Christmas Puddings being as black as a Gorilla's goolies. I've Never touched a mouthful since. And I'm talking Xmas pud here :lol:

Wanna really lose your appetite? The yank slang "pud" means something else entirely, was years before I realized you lot meant pudding. Imagine the holiday kitchen confusion, "If it's crimbo pud you're after, you're on your own mate." Lost in translation :roll:

Really? :P We over here have the same reaction to the word Fanny. Say that you slapped a woman's Fanny in the hight street over here and you'd be carted of to the local Police station pronto. :lol:
Cheer if you love Steptoe & Son!

You dirty old man, cow son! Bognor here we come!
Ilovesteptoe

Location: In Swansea City travelling on my cart totting for deals!

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Another favorite bit from “Ride Again”...
Diana Dors looking for a cuddle offers Harold a drink, hands him a stack of her knickers, she bends over to grab the booze deliberately exposing her bum and asks, “...See anything you like?” Subtle! :o
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:05 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Another favorite bit from “Ride Again”...
Diana Dors looking for a cuddle offers Harold a drink, hands him a stack of her knickers, she bends over to grab the booze deliberately exposing her bum and asks, “...See anything you like?” Subtle! :o

Yeah, she had a way with words DOY. A wicked way. Also from the same scene remember that rather suggestive verse Diana says to a rather mortified Harold on asking him to join her for a drink. She says as she pours Harold some of her drink: "On top of you, underneath you, and right inside you." Phwoar, what a Woman! :mrgreen:

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:11 pm

Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Phwoar, what a Woman! :mrgreen:

The suit wasn't bad either, it came from Cecil Gee's! :o
..."nearest and dearest" indeed (shudder!!) :shock:
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:30 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:
Ilovesteptoe wrote:...Phwoar, what a Woman! :mrgreen:

The suit wasn't bad either, it came from Cecil Gee's! :o
..."nearest and dearest" indeed (shudder!!) :shock:

Good ol Cecil Gee. They made parachutes too you know, hence the flared cut of their menswear. :P

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Ivor Biggun » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:51 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:

It's pronounced differently, though. In England it's pronounced like 'put' but with a d in place of the t. In the US it's pronounced like "bud" with a p in place of the b.

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Another favorite bit from “Ride Again”...

Diana Dors was too far past her prime to be doing such sexually suggestive scenes. It's like being hit on by Rita Webb or Molly Sugden. Ick.
I thought we'd nick a wreath off one of the graves as we went in.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:07 am

Ivor Biggun wrote:It's pronounced differently, though. In England it's pronounced like 'put' but with a d in place of the t. In the US it's pronounced like "bud" with a p in place of the b.

Thanks Ivor, but we're all of us already familiar with the concept of accents. Appreciate the concern though :wink:.
"...A peach? Is that not what you English play cricket on?" Joan Sims - Carry On Dick.
Ivor Biggun wrote:Diana Dors was too far past her prime to be doing such sexually suggestive scenes. It's like being hit on by Rita Webb or Molly Sugden. Ick.

Hang on, Diana Dors, past her prime? "Ick"? At the time Dors was in her early 40's. She was talented, funny, an international sex symbol....what more could you ask for? It may come as a surprise to tabloid readers, but real women aren't Anne Summers mannequins and do not "have staples across their stomachs" (see: Rising Damp).
Who are the people that look at the malnourished twigs they send down the catwalk these days and think, "that's sexy." All I see is someone who could do with a sandwich. Murder a pork chop they would, and before you know it? You're on the Donner Party menu mate. Lesson being: always treat women with respect!
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ivor Biggun » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:57 am

Yummy Diana.

Not so yummy Diana.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:22 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:Not so yummy Diana.

A Daily Mail photo, how surprising :roll:.
Ivor, if you find Diana Dors so repugnant in “Steptoe and Son Ride Again” that you feel the need to post huge, unflattering photos of her in later age....then don't watch Ride Again. Sorted, easy peasy.
And if the inevitability of aging alarms you, Rod Serling brilliantly and compassionately examined the subject (not maliciously, as sleazy tabloids do) in many of his original Twilight Zone scripts. Serling was widely regarded as the finest dramatist for television at that time :).
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Ivor Biggun » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:38 pm

It wasn't so much as old, although at that time she did look older than her real age, but the fact she let herself go so much. I understand she was in poor health for several years near the end, but she still shouldn't have been playing the sex goddess when she was no longer fit for the role. Women with thighs like tree trunks and who look like they're smuggling watermelons in their panties from the back are not sexy.

I just don't see her in the early 70's when the Steptoe films came out as being sexy like she was in the years following the war. She actually puts me in mind of a female version Benny Hill in Rides Again, chasing after anything in trousers in the same way that Benny Hill used to perv on younger women as part of his act. It's not sexy or funny, it's just sad.

And I also don't necessarily have anything against older women or women with a few extra pounds on them. I thought Elisabeth Sladen was still looking sexy after all the time that passed when she returned to Doctor Who but in her early 60's she was looking miles better than Diana Dors did in her 40's.
Ivor Biggun

Postby Ilovesteptoe » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:33 pm

Great pics of a young Diana and her hubby. Both had a sad ending. Watched a documentary a few years back about her American son and his search for her missing millions. Diana was a very astute businesswomen, worked very hard but hid a lot of her wealth from the taxman using an ingenious code which she had written in little black book which included various bank accounts with coded pseudonyms which her son alluded to in the documentary. Sadly after her sad passing due to cancer in the early 80s and the suicide of her husband all evidence and how to crack her code went with her to the grave and most likely to the inland revenue as after a certain amount of years monies not claimed in bank accounts go to the state or bank itself. Very fascinating it was.

Ilovesteptoe

Postby Uncle Nobby » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:57 pm

Diana Dors was also the head of the Secret Police in The Worm that Turned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91ak3axhUpM
"And you look after those gloves!"
Uncle Nobby

Previous

Return to The knobs are on my side