Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Steptoe and Son - A boys sitcom??

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Steptoe and Son - A boys sitcom??

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:23 pm

A female friend of mine recently asked me my favourite sitcom of all time... Of course I replied 'Steptoe And Son' - it took no thought...

She then replied... 'yeah but that's a boys sitcom'...

I thought that was an interesting comment - does it mainly appeal to men? I would not have thought so, though there are regular references to giving birds a clout round the ear 'ole....

What do you all think???
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby juliluli » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:41 pm

no i dont think so , it used to appeal to everyone male ,female,young and old alike,
me and my school friends always used to discuss steptoe and son , which we all loved , i think people could relate to them because we all felt sorry for Harold, and wanted to mother Albert, ive never thought of it as a 'boys sitcom' does that sort of equate to them being how can i put it.. a bit sexist?
no definitely not,
Thats not dust, its bleedin topsoil.
juliluli

Postby steve sheffield » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Think Steptoe and Son does appeal to mainly us blokes, however my teenage kids and my missus all love a bit of S and S
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby Jojo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:32 pm

My wife adores it. Maybe not as much as I do, but she still laughs at many an episode.
up yer pipe!
Jojo

Postby rumneylu » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:24 pm

well at the height of steptoe it recorded over 20 million viewers and you cant say thta they were all blokes i mean it broke barriers in that anyone watched it regardless of age sex or class
>>>luke<<<
rumneylu

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:30 pm

What I find most interesting though is howq women are portrayed in the show - don't worry, I'm not from the PC brigade, far from it, but I simply wondered whether this could be part of the reason Steptoe is so rarely shown these days - there are of course many references to giving women 'a clout round the earole'. Those who, like myself, enjoy the program for its entertainment value will not care, but I'm sure theres some who think otherwise.

Would the show have worked with a regular female character? I don't think so but it would be interesting to know if anyonew does....
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Jojo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:54 pm

No doubt you've hit the nail on the head there. Harold constantly said things like 'I'll smash her bleedin face in' etc - to comedy effect - never in malice and never shown either.

The two main characters were both blue collar lonely men. One in his twilight years craving company in the form of his son. The other in his prime craving a woman and his own independence. Quite sad, really.
up yer pipe!
Jojo

Postby THE VICAR » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:46 am

" i cant really see steptoe and son as a boys comdey as my mum says that harry h corbertt was a good looking bloke. im sure as many woman as men watched it for harry. he was a bird puller nick :D
not the vicar again hes had two bob of me this year already.
THE VICAR

Postby bob » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Steptoe is about all of us and how we react within some families.

It could have been funny as Mother and Daughter, Mother and Son, Father and Daughter, Brother and Sister.

When Steptoe was first concieved some families did expect a daughter to stay at home forever.

Ray and Alan made it even funnier buy making it Father and Son
bob
Site Admin

Postby count orlok » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:49 pm

Nonsense.

My wife and four daughters all like a viewing session with Albert and Harold every once in a while.

Of course my kids have been brought up with it rather due to their father's many watchings of the series from them being babies.
count orlok

Postby rose » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:41 pm

Speaking as a teenage girl, I can honestly say, I find it very uni-sex. It is totally unoffensive as long as you keep an open mind, and remember that laws and rules were different then. Also I found out recently, that a family member, had a go at his wife for watching it, because he found it very rude. As a big fan, she won the argument and he spent the night on the sofa! (And rightly so!) :) :P
rose

Postby bob » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:38 pm

Good one Rose

Sounds like something straight out of a Galton and Simpson script
bob
Site Admin

Postby rose » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:41 pm

Well yes, sometimes the family is a bit strange. I have a grandfather who often reminds me of Albert, causing me to make him laugh when I look at him with disgust and call him a "Dirty old man!" :)
But I do owe the older members of the family for introducing me to Steptoe.
You've been at my threpney bits!
rose

Return to The knobs are on my side