Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Which is your favourite series?

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby callous_little_bleeder » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:27 am

bob wrote:Hells Bells !!

No posts for months and then 50 come along at once !!!

You Callous Little Bleeder

Haha! Yes, I was AWOL for a bit. Been busy with a few things: new work, new girlfriend, sorting out my own websites, a 'death in the family' (no Steptoe pun intended, okay maybe it is), and a few other goodies. Not to mention some little cretin hacking my PC and wiping it clean because I banned him for flaming on a forum that I moderate. Indeed, I am a callous little bleeder. :wink:

But should be a bit more active now I got things sorted out. Trying to get the missus on here because I've just started getting her into Steptoe & Son. She hasn't been exposed to it much because she lives in Norway, but I have already changed that.

Another series I like very much is series five. A Death In The Family, Any Old Iron and The Colour Problem are all true classics.
callous_little_bleeder

Postby bob » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:32 am

Welcome back, its nice when a few of us get going on some subject or other, your postings have been really good.
bob
Site Admin

Series 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Bombay Shytehawk » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:07 am

Series 7 is undoubtedly the finest. So many classic episodes.

"You put the creases down the side!"
Bombay Shytehawk

Postby borehamwood » Mon May 31, 2010 7:21 pm

Well, I have only just recently completed my first complete viewing of the entire boxed set (series 1-8 plus xmas specials) and I am deeply saddened that it is all over. I still have the two films to look forward to (they are in the post) and then the radio series, but I fear the best is now behind me.

I realize that my opinions of each episode and series will likely change on repeat viewings (which I intend to indulge in after a respectable hiatus) but I will put in my tuppence as regards this topic.

I would say that the first six seasons were absolutely perfect. I thought that when I saw the show in color it would somehow spoil the magic, but that wasn't the case in the two shows of series six that were in color.

The very first episode that in my opinion felt 'off' was "Live Now, PAYE Later". I t was the first time that I had ever questioned how realistic the scenario was. As much as I enjoyed seeing Harold in a dress (he was as lovely as Graham Chapman, no?) I could not help shaking my head.

Other late episodes, particularly "The Seven Steptoerai" & "Seance In A Wet Rag and Bone Yard" also stretched the bounds of realism for me a bit.

It seemed like in the last two seasons they were running out of ways for Albert to thwart Harolds efforts to improve his lot. The friction in their relationship seems a bit too exaggerated in these seasons.

Still, they are better than most shows on tv then or now.

Back against the wall, I would have to say the first season is the one I would call my favorite, but really the first six are essential.

What a fantastic show!!!
borehamwood

Postby callous_little_bleeder » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:04 pm

borehamwood wrote:Well, I have only just recently completed my first complete viewing of the entire boxed set (series 1-8 plus xmas specials) and I am deeply saddened that it is all over. I still have the two films to look forward to (they are in the post) and then the radio series, but I fear the best is now behind me.

Pertaining to that, I am currently leading my girlfriend in the direction of Steptoe & Son (she's a teen, from Norway, never heard of it before, loves The Young Ones, and is currently in a new world of wonderment watching two scummy bastards running a rag and bone yard in Shepherd's Bush) and I am really jealous of her.

Why?

She is getting to watch all of this now for the first time, kind of like playing an epic retro videogame for the first time, not knowing what comes next, and how it all pans out.

Lucky cow.
callous_little_bleeder

Postby bob » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:19 am

What a wonderful thought.

Imagine having you memory wiped so that the whole Steptoe experience feels like the first time.

I'm beginning to look forward to the on set of Altzheimers

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby callous_little_bleeder » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:42 pm

bob wrote:What a wonderful thought.

Imagine having you memory wiped so that the whole Steptoe experience feels like the first time.

I'm a member of a few fansites (run a couple too) and this is a common thing. Someone inevitably posts along the way, "oh, I just got the dvd/cd/book/game and will watch/listen/read/play it tonight. Wish me luck!"

The fanboy answer is always, "you lucky <expletive>!"

And yes, my Nat is so lucky. But also unlucky because she doesn't possess the full monty yet. All she has is the complete first series dvd and The Best of Steptoe & Son dvd, which is colour era.

Still, not a bad start if you ask me. :wink:
callous_little_bleeder

Postby leebrookes1978 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:35 pm

1972 series for me. Some classic episodes including the brilliant Divided We Stand, The Desperate Hours and Men of Letters.

This was the first Steptoe series I ever saw on television and it has remained my favourite ever since. I bought all the original VHS videos when they were released (Red, Blue, Yellow & Green) and they all relied heavily on the 1972 series. I think each episode from that series was featured on those cassettes, with a couple of contributions from 1974 and 1970.

Obviously at that point the BBC did not want to release the B/W episodes so it was some years before I saw them. I have recently bought the full series boxset on DVD and am enjoying them all again
leebrookes1978

Postby bob » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:08 am

Welcome to the Forum Lee

Thank you for submitting a few reviews. Just so you are aware now that we are the "official" site. I am concentrating on posting reviews on those episodes that don't currently have a review.

I will get around to posting your reviews, but please have patience with me.
bob
Site Admin

Re: Which is your favourite series?

Postby harryfaversham » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Simple answer-1,2,3,4,5,6,7 & 8 and the xmas specials. Oh, and the films, the radio shows and the adverts hehe :D
"I've never had an x-ray"

"Yes you have! Two years ago when the 'orse kicked you in the cobblers!"
harryfaversham

Postby bob » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:47 am

Welcome Harry Faversham

Nice post
bob
Site Admin

Postby harryfaversham » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:20 am

Thank you Bob

harryfaversham

Postby nunky » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:22 am

I would have to say series one. If that hadn't been so good (especially The Offer) the rest wouldn't have followed.
nunky

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:06 pm

I think series 1 is the darkest by far, which is good. There has always, to me, been an undertone of violence in the family during that series, that Albert was happy to knock s*** out of Harold if he didn't behave, and if Emily had been seen with a black eye it wouldn't have surprised those who knew her... then when Harold was big enough, he got his own back...

I think the clues are there, especially in "The Bird". That darkness seems so acceptable now but we must contextualise to the 60's how daring that first series was in many ways. Sheer genius. There is no other word for it. And it didn't just cause more Steptoe to follow, it caused a whole new genre of television - the comedy drama!!!!!
Last edited by PhilGlass on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby harryfaversham » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Longfellow couldn't have said it better Phil

harryfaversham

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side