Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Saddest Moments

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Tue May 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote: are animals really dumb?

The human goes out to work, sweats and toils to pay the bills, pay for a roof over their heads, warmth and food... while their dog lays sleeping all day and hasn't got a care in the word, but still has the same roof over their head and a belly full of food... sounds like we are the dumb ones!!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed May 18, 2011 2:38 pm

Sounds like you're describing my ex (insert rim shot here.)
Regardless of why many if not most people still harbor the belief that animals are less intelligent, Ray & Alan's acute treatment of the subject, compassion, is truly admirable.
...this from someone who's cooking bangers tonite :oops:
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Thu May 19, 2011 8:15 pm

No eating animals is fine …… except my Labrador who is definitely not fit for human consumption !!
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Fri May 20, 2011 4:33 pm

2 of my cats went missing last September and I was devastated :cry: it made the front page of the local paper!.

I recently got a West Highland White Terrier pup :)

The saddest moment must be at the end of 'Seance' when Harold hears his dead mothers voice.
Of course it was also the last episode ever :cry:
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:32 am

So deeply sorry Archie, truly.
And congratulations on the new addition to your family, bless.
A very sweet and affectionate breed, but the truth is I've never met a dog, or any other animal, that wasn't affectionate unless they were mistreated. A Tasmanian Devil can give you a nasty nip, but only a nutter would try to cuddle one. You've got to be careful around canine/wolf mixes though, they can sense fear a mile off. I've known some and was always respectful, friendly but unapprehensive, never had a problem.

Bob, Labradors are brilliant aren't they. I raised one, an albino named Blue. She wasn't my dog but I was fortunate enough to spend a great deal of time with her from birth. White fur, transparent blue eyes, fast as lightning and smart as a whip...the smartest dog I've ever known. I've got a cat now, the wee fella was a homeless kitten that adopted me and followed me everywhere, everyone remarked on it. He's the smartest cat I've ever known, which makes me wonder...are some animals truly more intelligent than others? Or is it just that I spend more time with them? the answer seems obvious enough, so maybe the dumbest animal in the room is me :roll:
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:13 pm

As a lad we had a labrador that was quite old when we got her - she had been abused in a previous household and my sister rescued her, noly to dump her on my parents 9when she realised her friends didnt think labradors were cool - and she had the nerve to criticise the others!!!).

She turned out to be the most gentle and funniest dog we ever had, I still miss her. She was called Lady, not a name we would have picked but we didnt want to change it. When we got her she was a nervous wrecvk, me and the old pater were shouting at the football and the dog was shaking, petrified of us shouting thinking we were going to hit her, as that had been her past. Soon she realised she was safe with us and became very cheeky - but the funniest thing is, previously she had a stroke and one sideof her head caved in, so she looked strange, and she had a narrow throat and always coughed... but whenever we ignore dher, the coughing suddenly got worse and worse. As soon as we gave her the attention, it went back to normal!!!

Labradors are amazing. She ended up having a second stroke due to vets incompetence, then ended up in so much pain and discomfort my dad decided it was best to put her to sleep. It was. She would have just gone on in pain. Just before he took her to the vets (he hadnt made the decision thn as the previous vets incompetence had been covered up) she was bugging me while I was working and I shouted at her. I was her favourite and she gave me a dirty look on the way out... while he was with her at the vets she had a third stroke and thats when he made the decision... I wish I'd given her a cuddle before she'd gone...

Aw they get under your skin don't they? I totally feel for Albert and Harold in "A Death In The Family" but more so for Harold, as he is the bad guy, yet he loves and misses dear old Hercules just as much. I think the episode was a bold start for a new series, but every pet owner in the country would have associated with it.

And this comic / tragic line that was crossed is, to me, what Steptoe is all about.
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:19 pm

That's a deeply touching tale Phil, a bit too almost...I can only read it in increments and there's a paragraph I can't go near, it's a safe guess I'm not alone.
Recently someone said to me he didn't understand why people treat animals/pets like human beings. Why it would be a mystery is itself a mystery, but he has a dog himself so maybe he was taking the mickey, sure hope so.
We're a sentimental lot, but the most extraordinary case of affection for animals I've ever seen first hand was years ago, visiting a mate. His neighbour was a proper "crazy cat lady," I had to climb his shed to see them all. Hundreds of them everywhere, covering her roof and garden like a purring carpet. Bless lol
Dirty Old Yank

Postby Archie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:41 pm

My neighbour has a chocolate Lab, the bloke along the road has a Rottweiler.

They both are friendly good natured dogs :)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:32 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Recently someone said to me he didn't understand why people treat animals/pets like human beings.

Thats an insult to animals...

Human beings kill for pleasure, animals dont.

Human beings rape for pleasure, animals dont.

Human beings abort their young because it affects their own self pleasure... animals don't...

Human beings are the worst creatures on the planet. Treating animals like human beings is an insult on the animals, they are a far better species than we will ever be.
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:03 pm

Really enjoying this thread but must take issues with Phil’s claim that animals don’t rape for Pleasure.

I have banned my friend Clive from bringing his dog (Archie !! – Sorry forum mate) anywhere near my dog (Teddy).

Archie shags everything, legs, carpets, tables, cushions…. The list is endless. I’m sure he would shag a frog if it stopped hopping !!!. But worst of all, he always jumps on Teddy’s back and tries to give him one. It doesn’t matter that they are of the same doggie gender.

I should feel comforted that it isn’t only my dog he goes for, but it doesn’t help. Anyone who has owned a Labrador knows how placid and good natured they are, and the look of surprise and bewilderment every time Archie buggers him breaks my heart.

Archie on the other hand is a short haired highland terrier, who is about one sixth of the size of Teddy. I guess dogs also suffer from “short bloke” syndrome ? Anyway I’ve banned the little so and so from my home.

Don’t tell me Archie isn’t enjoying it. It’s like watching Benny out of Crossroads being molested by Rab C. Nesbitt !!!
Last edited by bob on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:14 am

A graphic description there Bob! :shock:
Perhaps its time for some Goolies to be removed! :lol: :lol:
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:26 am

Hiring the best vet is key! :)
Dirty Old Yank

Re: Saddest Moments

Postby melody » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:16 pm

The whole ep about the horse dying. Albert really loved him. Thats really sad, gets me every time :(
melody

Postby md99 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:17 pm

For me it's when Harold broke down and gently wept at the end of The Offer.
md99

Postby BLAKESCREWE » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:08 pm

POT BLACK, Harold`s `triumph` at the end is put into perspective by his dad`s hidden snooker tricks, sad and funny!
She`s twisted me out of a tanner!
BLAKESCREWE

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side