Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

THE CHRISTMAS CUTS - SEE THE MISSING SCENES HERE!!

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Are the people who edited the BBC dvd a bunch of twits?

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes : 11

THE CHRISTMAS CUTS - SEE THE MISSING SCENES HERE!!

Postby PhilGlass » Wed May 27, 2009 2:49 pm

Hello!!

I have put together a short video which INCLUDES THE SCENES WHICH WERE CUT FROM THE CHRISTMAS DVD'S...

See what you are missing!!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/thesteptoefi ... asCuts.htm

There are 6cuts which were made. The first were from the famous Travel Agents scene, but there are also several others (remember the scene about putting the goldfish in the poe??). They are all on this video. This is taken from a 46 minute version and believed to be complete.

I will be adding the complete uncut episode shortly, anyway, I hope you like the video!! Let me know what you think of the bleedin' BBC afterwards...
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby steve sheffield » Wed May 27, 2009 7:45 pm

Gutted, can't get the bleeder to play :x
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby PhilGlass » Wed May 27, 2009 8:23 pm

Steve - it should be working fine - Right click the blue link and download it, should work in media player...

Let me know if you work out why so if theres a problem I can fix it!
PhilGlass

the christmas cuts

Postby harold » Wed May 27, 2009 8:56 pm

i cant see anything i think they should have let ray and alan put the boxset together
harold

Postby PhilGlass » Wed May 27, 2009 8:58 pm

Hmmm.. maybe I've used a not-too-common codec on it, I'll look into it..
PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Thu May 28, 2009 5:08 pm

Works fine wherever I try it... Ah well

Was just something fun I tried to do, too much time on my hands atm :cry:
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Thu May 28, 2009 7:20 pm

Who had the nerve to register a NO vote.

Don't let me know or I'll ban them from the forum !!!!!

Bob
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:03 pm

Apparently this isnt working for most people... if anyone has any idea why let me know lol... geocities used to work fine, till the bleedin thing shut down... oh well...
PhilGlass

the christmas cuts

Postby harold » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:07 pm

is the bbc dvd department in charge of geocities maybe thats the problem
harold

Postby callous_little_bleeder » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:50 am

Tried to download the file but no joy. And yes, the BBC are a bunch of twits and I don't need a few seconds of Steptoe & Son trims to prove that. I am a huge fan of Doctor Who and most of the episodes with my favourite Doctor, Patrick Troughton, were destroyed by those idiots.

I heard a story once that some bloke started work at the BBC archive in the mid-seventies, and his first job there was to destroy a pile of marked reels. He looked at the reels and to his horror they were the very first Dalek story with William Hartnell. Seven episodes in total. As a fan of the show he thought 'sod that' and took them home. If it wasn't for him that entire story would be missing forever!

Sorry, rant over. :wink:
callous_little_bleeder

Postby bob » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:00 pm

No doubt the BBC put him on a disciplinary charge !!
bob
Site Admin

Postby callous_little_bleeder » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:24 pm

bob wrote:No doubt the BBC put him on a disciplinary charge !!

Well, he's interviewed on one of the DVD's and seems to be all jolly about it.

A mate of a mate recorded every single Doctor Who episode on audio reel-to-reel from 1963 right up until Pertwee-era (I know, how sad can you get?). Knowing of the problem with missing episodes, he got in contact with the BBC and tried to get a deal going. They told him off the bat that he was to hand over the tapes and if he even thinks about making them available to the public, for profit or not, it will be seen as a violation of copyright.

He gave them over and they have used most of them on audio CD's and DVD remasters, making a mint. You know what he gets for that? A credit on every release that uses his recordings, and a free copy of said CD's/DVD's. Pitiful really when you think about it.

At the end of the day, I could use a much fiercer word to sum up the BBC than ''twits'. :lol:
callous_little_bleeder

Postby bob » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:43 am

I always think the BBC get it wrong with their attitude to home recorders and tapers. Not sure if the last word is in the dictionalry as I used it !!

But given the appaling way they managed their own archive (Steptoe is a classic example) they should be more gracious to these people as if it wasn't for them the BBC wouldn't be making a mint on the CD sales.

There was a recent archive hour on Radio 4 about the recovery of some lost Dr Who recordings, it was nothing more than an hour long advert for the new audio CD's...

..... and while I'm in mid rant, I love Radio Drama and I know that the Treasure Hunt exercise turned up a number of lost classic recordings, while some have been rebroadcast (including ones I gave to BBC7) the BBC just took the vast majority and locked them in their new archive and have never broadcast them once ... shame, I'm sure the people who gave them back did it so that others could hear them
bob
Site Admin

Postby callous_little_bleeder » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:10 am

bob wrote:But given the appaling way they managed their own archive (Steptoe is a classic example) they should be more gracious to these people as if it wasn't for them the BBC wouldn't be making a mint on the CD sales.

I agree. I think the time and expense that these tapers (that word works for me) spent to manage their own private collections, not to mention the tea leaves who worked for the archive section and the effort it takes to preserve those reels, should be rewarded with more than just a credit and a free copy for their trouble. As far as I'm concerned, these people are legends.

I have it on 'fairly good' authority there's a possibility that a lot of missing episodes from the BBC archive could be located at a number of Saudi television stations, albeit dubbed, and that the BBC just cannot be arsed to pull their finger out.

bob wrote:..... and while I'm in mid rant, I love Radio Drama and I know that the Treasure Hunt exercise turned up a number of lost classic recordings, while some have been rebroadcast (including ones I gave to BBC7) the BBC just took the vast majority and locked them in their new archive and have never broadcast them once ... shame, I'm sure the people who gave them back did it so that others could hear them

The mind boggles, mate. The mind boggles...
callous_little_bleeder

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:23 pm

That's interesting. Of course, they could re-dub the english audio and no one would tell.

I often suspected that Colour episodes existed in Australia, that they would have simply copied the colour reels for broadcast. However, I have it on authority that Australia wasn't broadcasting colour tv until 1974, making the Xmas special the first episode to be broadcast in colour in Australia.

So the question is, did they print black and white masters to ship to Australia, or colour ones??

I firmly believe that everything is out there somewhere, we just need to bleedin' find it.

And I think you hit the nail on the head when you said the BBC just can't be bothered.
PhilGlass

Next

Return to The knobs are on my side