Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Life after Steptoe - In Pictures

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Yes, it's hard to conceed he was only 49 at the time he played Albert Steptoe, and that there was only a 13yr age difference between Harry and Willy.

This just shows how good the actors were to make it work the way it did.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:49 pm

That has to be the Best version of 1984, with the late Great Peter Cushing as Winston Smith :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:28 pm

I have decided to put together a documentary 'filmography' for each of them, starting I think with Wilfrid's as I have more of his material. Using clips etc from some of his most important appearances.

I'll find a way of letting you all see it once it's done!!
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:32 pm

Look forward to it Phil :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby PhilGlass » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:33 pm

It always seems to me that fans favour Harry. I don't think either was a "better" actor.

I think Wilf had better roles simply because of my own personal taste of what I like to watch. I think they were both equally talented.

Of course Wilf did more, but he lived 20 years longer, so thats expected!!!

I have always wondered in Steptoe if one got paid more than the other...
PhilGlass

life after steptoe-in pictures

Postby harold » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:55 pm

great pictures phil yes they both had careers before and after steptoe a lot of times an actor is identified as one character he played in the cinema or on telly but as we know that is not right
harold

Postby PhilGlass » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:11 pm

If only more people realised that... too many believe the fiction spouted to them on TV. But the evidence is clear...

Neither actor NEEDED to do Steptoe... so if they hated it and resented it so much why do it?

In 67 Harry had a 13 episode series written especially for him in the name of 'Mr Aitch'. In 1970 Wilf starred in the sitcom 'Never Say Die' but was gettin a fortune for his movie cameos...

Neither needed to return to Steptoe and Son.. but they did. So the rumours are crap. They did it because the scripts were good and cos they had agreat time. Why else?
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:22 pm

I do agree with lots of this, but in my own opinion I do think Harry suffered from a degree of "type casting" following Steptoe.

I don't think it would be the case today, but in the 60's and 70's people became more asssociated with the roles that made them famous. i think it was because we watched the same progs at the same time and in such large numbers.

While H was a naturally funny man, all the roles he got offered in later life tended to have a comedy aspect to them.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:18 pm

I agree to an extent Bob. I wonder how much was Harry's doing...

If you want, I will send you a few episodes of 'Potter' - The character Harry Tooms was originally played by a different actor in Series 1. The guy played it as more of a traditional gangster, nothing to do with Harold Steptoe.

In series 2 Harry took over and his first episode is a bit like the original guy.. after that we are watching Harold Steptoe...

I can;t imagine that Roy Clarke suddenly changed his mind on the character...

I know this will be a controversial view, but we all respect each others opinions here.

You are right that it was mainly comedy roles. But look at other actors - Stephen Lewis has played only one character in his career, that of Stephen Lewis. People say he is a great actor. Harry plays the same in other programs, people criticise. For some reason Steptoe seems to be the butt of many jokes, I will never know why.
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:53 am

What makes me a little sad about H was that at the time he was cast as Harold, he was playing the lead in Shakespeare (Henry V I think ..)

He was also a member of the ground breaking Littlewood Theatre Workshop, which was where many of our leading actors learn't their trade.

Post Steptoe he was never offer these types of role again.

Shame
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:59 am

Yes Bob, you're right it is a shame.

It seems that during the break from the original run of Steptoes H did alright and did still do those kind so it seems only bringing it back was a big mistake, yet some of those episodes are the most famous.

I think though, with respect to anyone around at the time, it was more a sign of the times than anything to do with Harry. I don't think people would now sit watching shakespeare thinking 'That's Harold Steptoe', in fact, Ken Dodd played in 12th Night for many years and won critical acclaim.

But then, even if Harry had done Steptoe and nothing else, what a legacy to leave behind!!!
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:37 pm

Phil, I think you are right about it being a sign of the times.

No one has a problem these days with David Janson playing Del Boy one week and Inspector Frost the next.

I'm sure had he played Del Boy in the mid 70's he would have suffered to move away from the role.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:22 pm

One more for you...

I know the quality of this pic is pretty naff but to my knowledge it is the only picture / shot of this available...

This is from Wilfrid's 1970 sitcom 'Never Say Die'. This ran for just one series and was set in a hospital. Wilfrid played a cantankerous old man called... Albert.

My research told me that the part was written especially for him. I am trying to find out more about this show, I have seen all there is on the net but there is v. little. If anyone knows anything I would love to hear from them!!

I know it's small, making it bigger made it unusable. But still one for the die hard fans!!!
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:07 am

Hi Phil

Thank you for taking the time to share this with us all. It really is appreciated.

I've jut scanned Willy's biography to see if he has anything to say about it, but there is no mention of the show.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:16 pm

bob wrote:I've jut scanned Willy's biography to see if he has anything to say about it, but there is no mention of the show.

Thanks for that Bob, much appreciated.

Interestingly, this was made AFTER Steptoe returned. I had often wondered whether this not being very successful had something to do with Willy's return, but obviously not.

It was made by YTV in colour and aired in August 1970. Wilfrid didn't have the main part, but he was in every episode with the 'Special Guest Star' billing.

I don't know if it was pulled because of bad ratings but I could also imagine that because WIlly was playing a character who was apparently a duplicate of Albert Steptoe, having both programs on at once would not have been a great idea!!

Hopefully one day this will surface... it's probably sitting in the Freemantle vaults gathering dust, along side all the other things they have confirmed they own, including Harry's series 'Grundy'.
PhilGlass

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side