Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Junked!

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Junked!

Postby ianb » Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:04 pm

Been reading an excellent book on Steptoe and Son by Galton & Simpson and Robert Ross .... and still find it hard to believe that the BBC wiped the vast majority of episodes from series 5 & 6 from 1970! Crazy looking back now and so glad Galton & Simpson had their own copies (in B&W only) for us all. Imagine if these had been lost forever! There are some classic episodes in these 2 series (Pot Black, Two's Company, Any Old Iron, Steptoe & Son & Son etc)
ianb

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:28 pm

Believe it or not Ian, most were recorded over with snooker matches!!

A year of so ago some original 'telerecording' tapes were handed to the BBC, these have the original colour info on so can be restored to the original colour. One of them was 'A Winters Tale' from Steptoe, so hopefully one day we will see this!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby ianb » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:34 pm

yeah I read that - ironic that being one of the episodes was called 'Pot Black' !!! Lets hope we can see some of them back in colour as you say .....
ianb

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:51 pm

I find it more ironic that they only have in black and white the episode "The Colour Problem" - that always makes me snigger. As if they knew! lol...
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:36 am

Perhaps I am an optimist but I belive there must be colour recordings somewhere. Either in a forigen TV vault, or other private collectors.

Maybe a BBC librarian made a copy for themselves and are afraid to admit it for fear of reprisals . Well if you are such a person let us know and we will keep your identity secret.
bob
Site Admin

Postby callous_little_bleeder » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:57 pm

Oh, they exist, Bob. It's just the BBC wont get off their arses and sort it.
callous_little_bleeder

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:49 am

I still say BBC Australia have the answer...

Although the Aussies didnt have colour till 72 / 74, its possible colour prints were sent for broadcast in black and white.

Even if black and white prints were made for Aussie showings, they would have been in pristine quality, not the low quality copies we have on the DVD set.. so why werent these used????

I think the callous little bleeder has it right... they just cant be arsed!!

Give them to me, I can be arsed to watch them!!
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:52 am

I think Tessa once explained to me that ATV had been approached but apparently it was a condition that the tapes were returned to the BBC after use.

I still believe they may have made a copy
bob
Site Admin

Postby callous_little_bleeder » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:08 pm

When it comes to anything the BBC have to 'search' for, they did their 'extensives' in the nineties.

I believe a find recently-ish to Saudi TV stations, not made by the BBC, yielded some Doctor Who and Alf Garnett bits (I'm going on posts at a Doctor Who forum so don't quote me 100%), and when you think about the heavy British presence in Saudi Arabia during the time of the airings, it is far from impossible to believe that more stuff exists in the vaults.

Get on it, you lazy BBC gits!

Slightly derailing from 'the colour problem', LOL, aren't there a few Steptoe episodes from the sixties which barely break past the twenty minute mark? This leads me to believe some scenes are missing as most had a basic regular running time to adhere to. Correct me if I'm wrong.

No, it's not on the BBC agenda to do any more outreach missions. They rely on collectors (be it people who recorded them from their own equipment at the time or so-called 'thief workers' who had the sense to waltz off with the full episodes scheduled for destruction.

No one gets paid. In fact, you're lucky if you get a thanks for your efforts. No wonder why more collectors don't step forward with the goods.
callous_little_bleeder

Return to The knobs are on my side