Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Sex Pistols connection

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:59 pm

It wasn't always so Archie, but "the charts" have become an unquestionable farce here.
That is if you rely on corporate reporting, only listen to the radio, and get your opinions from the Grammy's...or from supermarket aisles.
For example, the unfathomably influential New York Times Best Sellers Book List isn't based on sales.
It's based on the number of volumes printed.
Actual sales numbers have absolutely nothing to do with it, a deceit most still embrace because they aren't given a choice.
I'd dispute Debbie Harry's title of "Queen of punk" but probably should leave the gay jibes be lol.
Had to look up her birthday to believe it, 60's? Ye Gods. Woman is older than the Ramones!
Maybe she is the Queen, but Miranda Richardson might have done it just as well :)
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:42 pm

If a song is in the charts, that actually makes is LESS popular if you work it out..

firstly, they are measured on HOW QUICK they sell - Which of this is the MOST POPULAR record: The number 1 hit (20 000 copies is all it takes now) of the week, that sells 20k copies, but then disappears and is forgotten abouut the following week. Or the album by Ken Dodd that sells vslowly, but over a 1 year period, where the no 1 has still only sold 20k copies, Doddy sells 40 000 - but because it was dont so slowly it never hit the charts???

Basicaly the charts are the songs that SImon Cowell tell people with no actual knowledge of why they like it what to buy. People buy them to be "cool".

Charts are a load of old bollocks and do not represent "Pop" (ie POPULAR) music.

Sorry, I hate them... rant rant rant...
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:01 pm

Never mind Simon, he owes us all at least a jar full of thrupennies just for enduring that rubbish.
Better not to offend him, we need the 'cash' (but all we get is a few fingers.) :roll:
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:16 am

I'll offend who the bloody hell I want to offend!!! :D ha ha ha...

Do people still buy music anyway? Don't the whippersnappers just download it all these days?
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:02 pm

I still buy CD's mainly to listen to in the car.
This month I purchased 'The very best of Free & Bad Company' Wishing Well, Shooting Star great driving sounds 8)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:05 pm

When I think of "driving sounds" all I can hear is the Steptoe theme.
...but that's the M25 at rush hour for ye :roll:
Heres a few more punk sites, loads of classic clips
Target Video
http://www.targetvideo.blogspot.com/
80s Punk Videos
http://80spunkvideos.blogspot.com/
Dirty Old Yank

Postby winstonlegthigh » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:27 pm

There are a lot of Pistols/Steptoe correlations. The actual exact quote that Captain Sensible made was that upon hearing Nevermind the Bollocks he thought it sounded like "Old man Steptoe wailing over a dodgy Black Sabbath riff".

Also punk was hailed as an instance where the proper working class asserted themselves in British culture which, you could concievably say The Beatles and The Stones did already but they became the New Rich as it were whereas the punk lot didn't.

There is a distinct correlation though between the notion that Steptoe was the first place in British television or one of the early ones to address working class situations and circumstances and the fact that punk did the same thing musically in the wake of Steptoe, it had to be an influence and quite frankly, it was.

I mean Johnny Rottens early dress sense is very Albert :lol:
winstonlegthigh

Postby bob » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:49 pm

There was an interesting programme on TV sitcom Dad’s recently its starting point was the 60’s ….naturally.

In the whole decade it only highlighted two sitcoms as ‘iconic’ The first of course Steptoe and the other ‘Till Death…..’.

The reason these two stood out was that the characters within the show were ‘real’ people (Dads). Not the ‘I’m home darling’, pipe smoking, mid-executives who seem to fill up all “dad” roles in TV sitcom. It wasn’t until David Nobbs took the stereotype and turned it on its head with Reggie Perrin that we all realised how absurd it was.

Unfortunately POC has ensured that the unreal Dad has returned with cutting edge comedy such as ‘My Family’ and the ever so PC ‘2.4 Children’ !!!
bob
Site Admin

Re: ....

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:29 am

winstonlegthigh wrote:...Johnny Rottens early dress sense is very Albert...

Albert in drag (Live Now PAYE Later) was bad enough.
But Lydon in a dress?
Thanks for the visual (boak.)
And welcome Winston!
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:13 pm

Dirty Old Yank wrote:Albert in drag (Live Now PAYE Later) was bad enough.

If that gave you nightmares the n keep away from a film called "Picassos Aventyr" where Wilfrid and Bernard Cribbins play a real life lesbian couple. Although its men playing the parts, they genuinely are the spitting image of the two women they play. Freaky.

In "The Temperance Sevn In Hong Kong2 he dragged up again to play a pregnant old woman! Thank god I cant find that film, even for my warped mind that might be going too far!!
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:47 am

I knew Wilfrid played Alice B. Toklas, and in costume there's no denying a resemblance.
But Bernard Cribbins as Gertrude Stein?
Both clever casting, but I'm having difficulty with that one lol.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:07 am

Dirty Old Yank wrote:I knew Wilfrid played Alice B. Toklas, and in costume there's no denying a resemblance.
But Bernard Cribbins as Gertrude Stein?
Both clever casting, but I'm having difficulty with that one lol.

The legend that is Bernard Cribbins as Gertrude Stein, with Wilfrid as Alice B. Toklas.. a couple that were more wlel known in America than I must say. Very clever casting...

PhilGlass

Postby winstonlegthigh » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:37 pm

When Johnny Rotten got the Lifetime Achievement Award from Q Magazine he turned up in a horse and cart and announced himself as 'Son' and his dad as 'Steptoe'.

Interview excerpt:

How are you and what are you on?
I'm fine, thank you, for this time of the year, and I'm sucking on a sweet lemonade at the moment.

Why the arrival on a rag-and-bone cart?
My roots. He [pointing at his dad] is Steptoe, and I'm the son. All these arseholes who turn up in their limos - don't they know that's fucking jaded? They look like some heavy metal band. They might as well have Spandex on and long blonde wigs.

http://www.johnlydon.com/q2001.html

winstonlegthigh

Postby Ben Rigsby » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:56 pm

winstonlegthigh wrote:There are a lot of Pistols/Steptoe correlations. The actual exact quote that Captain Sensible made was that upon hearing Nevermind the Bollocks he thought it sounded like "Old man Steptoe wailing over a dodgy Black Sabbath riff".

Also punk was hailed as an instance where the proper working class asserted themselves in British culture which, you could concievably say The Beatles and The Stones did already but they became the New Rich as it were whereas the punk lot didn't.

There is a distinct correlation though between the notion that Steptoe was the first place in British television or one of the early ones to address working class situations and circumstances and the fact that punk did the same thing musically in the wake of Steptoe, it had to be an influence and quite frankly, it was.

I mean Johnny Rottens early dress sense is very Albert :lol:

hello mate.

another Stepoe/punk rock connection might come via the movements 2nd city - Buzzcocksville.

compare how Albert mocks Harolds Mediterranean holiday plans (once again!) in the '73 Xmas Special with John Cooper Clarke's delivery in his sneering dismissal of package tours on the live "Walking Back To Happiness" (1979) album;
"MuhJORca!!"

identical.

coincidence? maybe not - "talent imitates, genius steals" !!!!!!!!

cu on the Pistols forum!

ben
Ben Rigsby

Re: Sex Pistols connection

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:20 am

"Sex Pistols sign new record deal"
http://www.nme.com/news/sex-pistols/62276
Dirty Old Yank

PreviousNext

Return to The knobs are on my side