Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Classic Line!

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Classic Line!

Postby ianb » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:29 pm

Was watching the episode 'Twos Company' the other day and I just love the line Albert delivers when Harold tells him that Daphne and him are lovers ---- "but she's only been here 10 minutes!" Classic episode - classic line.

Anybody else got any fav lines?
ianb

Postby Karl » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:51 pm

From "Divided we stand" Albert-"In other words,i get on your tits!!"
:D

also,Harold-"i have the law of contract on my side",Albert-"i have the Knobs on my side"
:lol: :lol:
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:49 am

Good choices fellas!

Perhaps not a classic, but one of my (many) all time favourites is from "Steptoe and Son and Son" when the pregnant Daphne (another Daphne!!) is waiting for Harold, and Harold comes in and says "I don't think I've had the pleasure" and Albert quips "Well somebody has!" I laugh so hard every time I hear that.

The other that always makes me crease up is the 'no wogs' line from 'The Lodger'.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Archie » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:39 pm

I watched Twos company last night :o

My fave line is in Loathe Story when the Phychiatrist asks Harold - 'Are you a homosexual ?'

Harold replies - 'Are you looking for a clout round the ere'ole' 8)
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby winstonlegthigh » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:42 pm

Harold: Ugh, you're so Plebian, aren't you?

Albert: THATS A SWEAR WORD!

Harold: No it is not. A plebian is a member of the lower order of society, class 5.

(don't ask me why i find that funny, i just do :lol:)

What i think, is the most hilairious part of Steptoe in terms of the dialogue though (and this REALLY reflects the talent of Galton and Simpson) is the way that Harold is given really really elegant bits of English thats peppered with working class colloquialisms cuz he can't quite speak in proper proper proper English, to me those are the best bits of Steptoe dialogue, simply for the writers talent in intertwining the working class with posh english, it really is a great talent and it's the reason why the aspects that i find quotable from Steptoe aren't really funny because they need context and Harrys wonderful delivery i.e.

"We have recently come across a choice piece that i thought may be of interest to yourself and as such i have....brung it along so that you may puport to...have a butchers at it"

Now that, to me, is effing hilairious! Thats just absolutely classic. And in the same scene Alberts winding up Harold up and they start arguing and Harold stops and turns to the bloke in the antique shop and goes "i'm awfully sorry...gets right on my Bris-toles, he does" which is, again, hilairious but it's not something you can really...drop as a one liner, it's contextualised.

But yeah, those are my favorite aspects of Steptoe cuz it shows how wonderfully written the whole thing is, this is what i mean when i say Steptoe and Son is imperial in the realm of comedy, the best description of it i can give it like, it's like a tapestry of language and a single word here or there out of place and it messes with the rhythm of the piece, sort of like taking bits and bobs out of Shakespeares sonnets and expecting them to come off the same, they won't.

It seriously is brilliant though and it's that dichotomy that makes Steptoe work so well...

"don't give way on anything, do you? you don't give a toss what colour we have! You just wanna go against me, don't you? If i wanted flock wallpaper in the bog, you wouldn't, whatever i want, you don't. You are a dyed in the wool fascist reactionary squalid little know your place, don't rise above yourself, don't get out of your hole, complacent little turd! You are morally physically and spiritually, a festering fly-blown heap of accumulated filth!

In other words...i get on your tits!"

brilliant :lol:
winstonlegthigh

Postby bob » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Young man, if you have got a bottle of sherry, why don't you say so !!! Welcome winstonlegthigh

I love the Bris-toles line as well.
bob
Site Admin

Return to The knobs are on my side