Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Albert's teeth

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Albert's teeth

Postby steve sheffield » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:22 pm

Just watched " a death in the family " and I have noticed as he talks, how impeccable Albert's teeth are!
His teeth in this episode are lightyears away from the set of grave-yard looking teeth he has in later programmes.
Does anybody know exactly which episode his teeth started to take a different colour on?
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:51 am

Well the colour is of course hard to tell in black and white, but he had 'bad' teeth all the way through, though in most episodes when filming outside, he had his good teeth in. This was because Wilfrid didn't like to be in public with those teeth - location filming meant a lot of waiting around, so he liked to have his own set of teeth in for when he met fans, reporters etc, so they didn't think his were really like that!!

I think they look a lot dirtier later because we get to see them in colour. Other than the outside shots, I hadn't really noticed!!

Let's not forget, Harold brought home 4000 pairs for him to choose from!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby steve sheffield » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:58 pm

Just changing the theme slightly, but it's about how Albert looks again.
Watched " Two's company" this morning, where Albert brings home his bride to be'.
To me, Albert looks really old in this episode. Very white hair and looks fairly frail/ weak.
Now before you all argue he always did, it just seems to me that in later episodes he looks far more youthful. I know this episode is in black and white but it is very well done, age and character wise!
Just my observations.
3 Handkerchiefs and a pair of Y fronts. Enoch's dreaming of a white christmas.
steve sheffield

Postby bob » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:35 am

Good Point

I think the issue about Albert's teeth was resolved some while ago, nothing more that Willy keeping his own dentures in when filming outside. Vanity and poor continuity combining to make the character look rather odd.

I think the age thing is more interesting. When the episode 65 today was recorded Wilfrid was only 50. So was undoubtely made up to look older. I guess as he naturally aged less make up was required. The danger was. as you have picked up, it could start to look that he was gettring yonger !!
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:30 pm

Now you point it out, Steve, I really see what you mean. Maybe it's because Albert is in a suit, made up, rather than in his old rags.

Wilfrid does say in his book that they neevr used make up to make him look older but I find that a little hard to believe.

I think in series 8 he looks much odler too, like more time has passed than it actually did. Yet in both Steptoe movies I think he looks younger than he did at that time on the series..

Very perculiar.

Harry aged quickly, I think. I know they were both made to look scruffier than they of course were in real life, but in series 8 I think Harry looks terrible. I don't nkow whether that was make up and done deliberately - obviously the dirty clothes were, but in "Back In Fashion" in particular he looks knackered.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Return to The knobs are on my side