Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Response to the "When Steptoe Met Son" page.

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:05 pm

Ivor Biggun wrote:Hey, I remembered something. I was watching the BBC production of 1984 and there is a scene where an old man in a bar was trying to order a pint and the bartender keeps giving him a hard time telling him they don't serve pints anymore and the old man moans on and on about the old days. He is uncredited but I absolutely swear that it is Wilfrid Brambell who plays the old man. Watch it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hATC_2I1wZE

and when you get to the part I just mentioned, let me know if you think it's him or not. The actual scene starts at 32:00 with the old man showing up at 32:30. Look at the face and listen to the voice of the old man. Pay special attention to the mannerisms. It looks and sounds just like Brambell to me. This was made in 1954 so it was before he became famous.

Wilfrid plays two separate roles in this film... at the end he also plays the prisoner who is taken away screaming. This was broadcast LIVE.

One of his greatest performances!

And hi, Ivor, nice to meet you!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:50 am

Welcome Scrap, Simon and Ivor

I’m not sure if the documentary where Harry appears to be rather posh is one of the John Freeman, face to face interviews. Freeman certainly had the skill of getting us to see another side of a character. He laid bare Tony Hancock’s melancholic view of life and reduced Gilbert Harding (60’s equivalent of Kelvin MacKenzie) to tears.

In this interview Harry is still very much the creative actor, with a social conscience. Maybe at this stage (mid 60’s) he still felt he had a full and wholesome career before him and was playing as much to his peers and colleagues as much as the TV audience. I was lucky enough to have Pixel send me a 1970’s quiz where Harry was a guest. By this stage he is very much the knock about comedy actor and is playing everything for laughs.

I don’t feel that either is the real Harry.
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:25 pm

The poshHarry is from "Acting n the sxties". According to his family, Harry used to sometimes talk differently in interviews to real life. the times he would put on the Steptoe voice for them.

Harry appeared in many quizzes, two episodes of "Jokers Wild", my favourite "Whodunnit". "Celebrity Squares" and even his very last filmed piece was "Give us a clue". a game show.

For some reason they all wanted Harry and not Wilfrid. The Robert Ross book says Wilfrid was always up for it, they just never asked him. Shame.
PhilGlass

Postby Ivor Biggun » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:10 pm

bob wrote:Welcome Scrap, Simon and Ivor

I’m not sure if the documentary where Harry appears to be rather posh is one of the John Freeman, face to face interviews. Freeman certainly had the skill of getting us to see another side of a character. He laid bare Tony Hancock’s melancholic view of life and reduced Gilbert Harding (60’s equivalent of Kelvin MacKenzie) to tears.

In this interview Harry is still very much the creative actor, with a social conscience. Maybe at this stage (mid 60’s) he still felt he had a full and wholesome career before him and was playing as much to his peers and colleagues as much as the TV audience. I was lucky enough to have Pixel send me a 1970’s quiz where Harry was a guest. By this stage he is very much the knock about comedy actor and is playing everything for laughs.

I don’t feel that either is the real Harry.

It was one of the more recent ones. Either When Steptoe Met Son or Curse of Steptoe. They had the actor playing Harry speaking with a posh accent throughout the whole thing when he wasn't reading his lines. I've seen criticisms from people more knowledgable than I of how Harry actually spoke and most say he didn't speak that way.

Here's the Australian interview for anyone who is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV5JMWO3qxc
Ivor Biggun

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:16 pm

I was referring to an actual interview were H. DOES talk 'posh'. In the early days he believed that actors were expected to speak like that and often did put it on, hence the confusion. It also allowed him to differentiate between himself and Steptoe. It was what actors call a 'stage school' voice.

Sorry for the confusion, you ar referring to 'The Curse...'

I dont know what the cocky reference was about as Harry was neevr a cockney, he was a mancunian, brought up in Manchester.
PhilGlass

Previous

Return to The knobs are on my side