Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Comics Choic e - Lee Mack

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Comics Choic e - Lee Mack

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:32 pm

Did anyone else see Lee Mack on Bill Bailey's new show "Comic's Choice?"

In his choice of "Greatest Contribution" to comedy, one of his lineup was Galton and Simpson, which was accompanied by a clip from "Oh, What A Beautiful Mourning".

Worth watching on 40D or Youtube if it's on there. It was a brief mention, but worthy!!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Hang on...you've often said you don't care for Bill's humor.
Ha ha, caught you out...a closet Bailey fan.
I'm imagining Bill Bailey dvd's hidden away like a dirty secret.
WHOA just kidding mate!! :)
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi Ya All ( Like the Americanism yank ??)

I think this was a repeat. You may have seen the Lee Mack banner that appears on the home page. Lee made it clear in the Bill Bailey show that I saw; that he thinks Steptoe is the best.

I was so pleased to hear this as he is one of my favourite comedians. In fact I think he is so funny that I never want to sit anywhere near the front of the stage when he is playing my local theatre. He would slaughter me.

Mind you I also think that meeting your hero’s can be a double edged sword. I once very briefly got near my all time musical hero, but he was more freaked out than I was!!

I was also given the opportunity to interview Lionel Bart for a charity organisation, but he was so much up his own backside that I wasn’t inclined to follow him.

I have also recently been given an opportunity where I could meet Ray and Alan, but I don’t think I will follow up on it, as what on earth could I say that I haven’t said a thousand times on this website. I just think it would lead to embarrassment and disappointment from all sides.

I would love to be stuck in a pub with them for a couple of hours, where I could talk to Alan about his support for Brentford (god knows why !!) and Ray about his favourite wine, but they must be completely fed up answering the same old questions day after day.

Actually a few pints with Ray, Alan, Lee Mack and me sound like heaven !!!
bob
Site Admin

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Ah I didn't get that it was a repeat... yes Bill Bailey grates on me, but Mack's jsut so bloody funny that I have to watch him (I personally liked his late night show the BBC canned after just 4 episodes!!)

I have seen the front page post Bob, but didn't make the connection, I am sorry. I'd love to interview Lee, hopefully if The Steptoe Rag takes off I might be able to arrange something... (yeah right, and I'll also be able to time travel and find out what REALLY happened to Lord Lucan...) We can all dream,....

Bob, you should take that invitation for Ray and Alan - go down the Skinner's Arms and have Sheperd's Pie and a pint of Bitter.

Meeting your idols can be disappointing. I havent met mine, which is a good thing as most are long dead so the meeting would just be awkward. I have met various "stars" on a professional level and a few were up their own behinds, and I really dont go for all this, I treat people all the same, respect is earned in my view. I would talk to a superstar in the same way I would talk to the bloke down the market who sells me my veg. They are all human beings.

The Beeb used to have a rule: the bigger the star the nicer they are. Generally it was only the one hit wonder wannabe's who were the big headed ones. My buddy met Patrick Stewart when he gave a talk at his university and they cheekily asked if he fancied a pint and he and his PA went down the pub with them and got plastered, and insisted on picking up the bill!!!!!!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:54 pm

bob wrote:Actually a few pints with Ray, Alan, Lee Mack and me sound like heaven !!!

A "few" eh?
.....I'm gonna go and arrange your bail :roll:
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Return to The knobs are on my side