Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

The Grumbleweeds Steptoe & Son Sketch

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

The Grumbleweeds Steptoe & Son Sketch

Postby winstonlegthigh » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:35 am

winstonlegthigh

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:52 pm

Ha ha brilliant... notice they changed the theme tune just enough to avoid paying copyright but enough to stil lsound familiar? lol
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:18 pm

Kinda like the horse and cart scene from "Carry On Screaming" with Harry and Bernie Bresslaw. They tweeked the notes a little but the Steptoe theme was still easily recognizable, very funny :)
That case was innocent enough, but anyone with an ear and memory for music can't help but wonder how some composers/music departments get away with it. Is there a limit to the number of identical notes before it becomes actionable plagiarism? If it occurs in an ostensibly comedic context, is "parody" or "homage" a legal defense?
At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. The only people that walk away from winning lawsuits smiling are solicitors and their bank managers.
(Please note: the above post is intended as parody. ha ha.)
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:22 pm

The whole "you can use 30 seconds for free" thing that you hear is total rubbish. If you can recognise it as your work, it's copyright. And you don't ever need to pay to copyright something. It is already copyright as soon as you make it (press "Quote" on this message and I'll sue you for reproducing my copyright prose without permission... I will...)

I think with parody a lot of them get away with it because of the humour. How "The Simpsons" producer have never been sued is beyond me. Hanna Barbera could have had a setlement off them years ago.. *cough* Flintstones *cough*

In that sketch the thread is about, it's interesting whoever it is who does H's voice, he really has his delivery down to a T. H had a bizarre way of linking his syllables sometimes!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Return to The knobs are on my side