Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

1973 Christmas Special on DVD

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

1973 Christmas Special on DVD

Postby BLAKESCREWE » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:16 pm

Anyone know if the re-released DVD box set will have the complete version of this as the previous one had the tiny cut at the end of the scene in the travel agents which was so disappointing! any news?
She`s twisted me out of a tanner!
BLAKESCREWE

Re: 1973 Christmas Special on DVD

Postby bob » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:26 am

Don't know for certain, but I would guess not.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Ronnie_1990 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:47 pm

I think its just a repack. There are 4 minuites missing from each episode on the DVD.
Ronnie_1990

Postby THE VICAR » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:41 am

"both are cut for dvd glad i kept the old videos of thesethey had the 73 one on uk gold the other night the enoch joke is cut as usal why are they scared of enoch powell he told one or two home truths wich sadley have come true so i watced the 1973 christmas special on my video uncut .nick :D
not the vicar again hes had two bob of me this year already.
THE VICAR

Postby NOEL » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:43 pm

THE VICAR wrote:"both are cut for dvd glad i kept the old videos of thesethey had the 73 one on uk gold the other night the enoch joke is cut as usal why are they scared of enoch powell he told one or two home truths wich sadley have come true so i watced the 1973 christmas special on my video uncut .nick :D

HI ALL I KNOW THIS IS A LOT TO ASK AS YOU DO NOT KNOW ME BUT DO ANYBODY HAVE A LIST OF WHAT SHOWS ARE CUT ON THE DVDS AND WHAT IS MISSINGS AND WAS ANY OF THE SHOWS ON VHS CUT ALSO.
ALL THE BEST TO ALL OF YOUS.
NOEL
STEPTOE WILL ALLWAYS BE IN MY HEART LIKE IT WILL ALLWAYS BE IN YOURS
NOEL

Postby Karl » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:54 pm

The 'Enoch' line is on the dvd version as well as the video.
I don't know why they bother showing 'em on GOLD,the editing wrecks every episode!! :evil:
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby stuart » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Is there a full list of dvd cuts out there on the www?
stuart

Postby PhilGlass » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Technically, if you want to be fussy, the second special is uncut, yet 5 minutes short...

It was given a 40 minute slot, over running by 2 minutes, so 42 minutes for the 74 special is actually complete, though a 90s video release had it at 46/47 minutes. The extra bits include talk of the christmas decorations, an extra item found in the box of documents, a few other bits of dialogue such as reference to being "simple" and an extention to the end scene at the railway. I gave Bob a copy of this so it's in the society archive. I'll try and compile a cuts list for the 2 specials.

The 73 special is butchered. No excuse.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby Ronnie_1990 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Hi Phil, I listed all the lines I could find missing on the link below. I compared the VHS versions with the DVD versions. I have not compared the broadcast versions however.

http://www.british-tv-cuts.co.uk/steptoe--son.html

Hope it can be of some help, I don't think I missed anything but you never know.
Ronnie_1990

Postby PhilGlass » Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi Ronnie

That's about it. The 74 special was broadcast as per the DVD originally. The 73 broadcast is as the video. These are the longest known versions available, I'll upload them soon!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby CurriedGoolies » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:51 pm

The edits made to the '73 special are...

A short bit at the end of the travel agent's scene where the horse whinnies and Harold shouts something about "you great hungry-gutted pillock", then the posh couple say to the estate agent "We've changed our minds, we'll go to Eastbourne instead".

Harold holding up a pair of y-fronts and saying "If my world shrinks any more, it'll disappear up the back of these!"

Harold writing a Christmas card to Albert, rubbing it out several times before settling on "To Dad, from Harold".

All intact in the 1980s broadcasts and VHS releases.
DEHHHH!
CurriedGoolies

Postby stuart » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:36 pm

CurriedGoolies wrote:The edits made to the '73 special are...

A short bit at the end of the travel agent's scene where the horse whinnies and Harold shouts something about "you great hungry-gutted pillock", then the posh couple say to the estate agent "We've changed our minds, we'll go to Eastbourne instead".

Harold holding up a pair of y-fronts and saying "If my world shrinks any more, it'll disappear up the back of these!"

Harold writing a Christmas card to Albert, rubbing it out several times before settling on "To Dad, from Harold".

All intact in the 1980s broadcasts and VHS releases.

Thanks for the info. I watched one of my dvdrs the other night and these edits were on my disc. I must have taped that version in the early 1990s. I must look out for my VHS released version!
stuart

Postby stuart » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:27 pm

I've just found another dvdr of the special, and it too is cut :cry: It was originally taped off the telly.

I understand the original is on the men of letters vhs tape, which is in my garage I think. I am off to look for it now. Might watch the Manchester derby a bit later.
Last edited by stuart on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuart

Postby stuart » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:36 pm

NOEL wrote:
THE VICAR wrote:"both are cut for dvd glad i kept the old videos of thesethey had the 73 one on uk gold the other night the enoch joke is cut as usal why are they scared of enoch powell he told one or two home truths wich sadley have come true so i watced the 1973 christmas special on my video uncut .nick :D

HI ALL I KNOW THIS IS A LOT TO ASK AS YOU DO NOT KNOW ME BUT DO ANYBODY HAVE A LIST OF WHAT SHOWS ARE CUT ON THE DVDS AND WHAT IS MISSINGS AND WAS ANY OF THE SHOWS ON VHS CUT ALSO.
ALL THE BEST TO ALL OF YOUS.
NOEL

My edit has the travel agents cut, where the posh couple say they're going elsewhere, but then the next scene begins with the Enoch song!
stuart

Postby stuart » Tue May 01, 2012 6:16 am

At last, I have the full version on dvdr..found yet another disc last night..scenes restored. If anyone needs a copy, give us a shout.
stuart

Next

Return to The knobs are on my side