Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Colorise Steptoe and Son !

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Colorise Steptoe and Son !

Postby totteron » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:52 pm

If any of the colour eps are still missing why dont they just colorise the b/w versions or do the lot ftrom The Offer onwards surely this would appeal more to a younger generation who always seem to have this thing about b/w films etc; some of the Dr Who eps were colorised so why not ? :mrgreen:
totteron

Re: Colorise Steptoe and Son !

Postby nunky » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Never!!!!

They did that to an episode of Dads Army (Room at the Bottom) and it just didn't work as far as I'm concerned.
nunky

Postby BLAKESCREWE » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:44 pm

Yes but ROOM AT THE BOTT0M was an orig colour episode which was returned to its orig state whereas colourising eps of Steptoe which were made in B/W would be sacrilage! :shock:
She`s twisted me out of a tanner!
BLAKESCREWE

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:11 pm

Agreed, colourizing the episodes originally broadcast in b/w would be a bit much.
If something was meant to be seen in b/w it should stay that way.
Technology now exists to colourize the wiped Steptoe's reasonably affordably, despite the difficulty of maintaining continuity.
But it probably wouldn't look quite right, and it's unlikely BBC will ever consider it anyway.
Last edited by Dirty Old Yank on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:39 pm

I still believe the colour versions are out there somewhere.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:08 pm

bob wrote:I still believe the colour versions are out there somewhere.

i bet there are some in Bob Monkhouse's massive collection!
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby bob » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:33 am

Hi Karl

I can't remember who I approached or discussed this with but apparently even Bob Monkhouse's archive drew a blank. I find that hard to beleive.

I just think someone has them and dosn't realise how rare they are.
bob
Site Admin

Postby Karl » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:38 am

Bob,
This is incredible! Monkhouses' collection ran into tens of thousands of video tapes,surely there must have been a few episodes recorded in there somewhere! Have any details of his collection surfaced at all do we know?
"The only thing worth 'avin is that porcelain group on the mantlepiece behind your elbow......." "'Aint you got any woodbines?.. "
Karl

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:34 pm

If a Top Of The Pops cameraman can find a "lost" David Bowie performance collecting dust in a closet after 40 years, then there's bound to be someone who has the missing colour Steptoes. I'm convinced they're out there too.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby bob » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:42 pm

I think there was an 'official' presentation of the lost materiaql found acgain in BM's archive.

It is worth remembering that he was prossecuted for recording and collectiing, which upset him greatly. He may have decided to get rid of things that he felt the BBC would undoubtedly have in their archive. !!
bob
Site Admin

Postby winstonlegthigh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:18 pm

sod that, you'd ruin em. Colourising the ones that were actually made in black and white i mean. It has it's own artistic stamp to it. I remember reading or hearing that Galton and Simpson were wary about the move to colour per se because it'd rob the show of the sort of ambience of victorian squalor. Not that i got a problem with the ones that are colour and the ones that were made in colour but originals have been lost i'd like to see in Colour but not the good old black and whites. The Siege of Steptoe Street is one i can imagine would suffer greatly for being colourised.

Quite frankly, i don't agree with this idea of doing stuff so a younger generation can get into em, y'don't do that with Shakespeare. "To be or not to be bruv, whether it's nobler in the to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune and tings innit" i feel it might come across ever so slightly ridiculous :lol: By Bill Shakespeare of the Strat on Av Massive!
winstonlegthigh

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:55 pm

You've reminded me of the yank comedy troupe Firesign Theater, ever hear of em? Very funny and popular, they sold a ton of records and did some hilarious Shakespeare parodies. "...Crack cheeks crack, and break wind break..." (Not Insane or Anything You Want To/1972). A crude quote but it's all I can remember, was a long time ago!
I've been watching the wiped episodes again and now realize it'd be quite difficult to colourize some of them. Occasionally the images are very shaky, stabilizing them wouldn't be easy and I assume you'd have to achieve that first. We're left to hope that someone finds the "lost" episodes or capable CG artists volunteer their time, but BBC probably wouldn't consider financing the venture anyway, so the point is moot.
Dirty Old Yank

Postby melody » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:18 pm

Hmm I dnt think they shud. I dont mind b&w even tho it aint cool lol. I reckon its funny Neway whether in colour or not. Does it matter?
melody

Postby PhilGlass » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:36 pm

To bring up an old subject...

Firstly, Kalidescope, who run Bob's archive, have confirmed no Steptoe episodes were ever recorded. With respect to them, I believe this to be crap. It was the most popular program of all time when it was shown. Did he never record a single episode? He seemed addicted to recording things, yet missed out what was even then seen as the most influential program of all time.

Secondly, according to the new book by Susannah Corbett, the colour episodes were repeated right up until the mid eighties. Constantly. Not one single human being recorded a single one of them and kept it? They must have.

I could easily colourise a scene from one of them and would be willing to do so, but the quality of those 'lost' episodes is so bad, would it really be worth it?

Just an update... it kinda shows there is still hope!
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby bob » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:03 pm

I think one of the things we realy should do when we get the Appreciation Society back on track is start a bigger and better campaign for the missing colour episodes.

Another great interest of mine is Radio Drama, particualry the now defunct Saturday Night Theatre. Without any great effot on my part I have been send all kinds of wonderful things by fellow collectors. Just this week I have been sent two (lost !!) episodes from 1962. A 1980's TV braodcast shpuld be easy by comparison. !!!
bob
Site Admin

Next

Return to The knobs are on my side