Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Steptoe and Son beer ad.

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Steptoe and Son beer ad.

Postby totteron » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:34 pm

I used to know a fella called Billy Matthews who lived a couple of doors down from us and in the 60s he used to have a horse and cart,and him and his mum also had an allotment where they used to sell veg and firewood from this horse and cart, they were often seen trotting up the road.Anyway when the series began there was talk that the horse and cart was used in the series but which wasnt true as we are in Manchester and Steptoe was done in London, right.But many years later I actually spoke to the fella and he explained that all it was, was that a beer company ? borrowed the horse and cart for publicity and Harold and Wilfrid were used in the publicity advert. he told me that he had a photograph somewhere but he sadly died some time after and as he lived alone all the contents of his house were cleared out. I would love to have seen this photograph, I think it may have been taken by our local Reporter newspaper. Maybe I should get in touch with them if I Knew the exact year ? :(
totteron

Re: Steptoe and Son beer ad.

Postby bob » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:39 pm

Great post toteron

Many of the papers make money from selling their photo archive, if you can find out whether the photo still exists I am sure many of us would buy a copy.
bob
Site Admin

Re: Steptoe and Son beer ad.

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:34 pm

The only images I think could be from a beer ad could be any of these, all copyright The Daily Mirror, from 1970 and 1974. I have no further information except the 74 ones are filed as "on a break from filming, August 74" which makes no sense, that has to be the final special, H. has too much stubble and no shirt on for some reason!

There is no horse and cart though, and the first two look candid, but those last ones are definitely promotional you can tell.

Either way, enjoy the pics. This is how I have them, with the original watermark, I did not add to or edit these photos in any way.

"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Return to The knobs are on my side