Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Is there a bad edit?

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Is there a bad edit?

Postby BLAKESCREWE » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:51 pm

in the TV ep of IS THAT YOUR HORSE OUTSIDE?, near the end where Harold leaves the house of Dorothea and Albert gets on his bike and races through the street, as he cuts across the road at one point there is a very quick shot of Harold on his cart which looks to me as an edit, sloppy one maybe but is it a genuine cut there or as I said just a sloppy edit? always bothers me when watch this ep.

Any comments?
She`s twisted me out of a tanner!
BLAKESCREWE

Re: Is there a bad edit?

Postby Archie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:20 pm

The most infamous edit has to be the disappearing door !.

In early episodes there is a door at the first flight of stairs in the hallway - which looking at the plan leads nowhere :shock:
In later episodes the door is gone replaced by a pram on the stair and antelope head on the wall - strange :?
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:21 pm

There's also the issue of coal cupboard continuity.
Early on it's in the hall (The Bath) but later it reappears in the front room (second Crimbo Special.)
If I woke one morning to discover the coal cupboard had changed rooms, I'd lay off the drink for a while 8)
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:48 pm

Galton and Simpson never concerned themselves with the continuity of the set. If a script warranted it, they’d move things around. The script was what was most important, not the fact that a door (or whatever) wasn’t where it was the week before...

This goes right back to when they wrote Hancock’s Half Hour. Indeed, they said basically what’s written above, during an interview...
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby melody » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:15 pm

Im guessin the riddle of whether Albert eats sweets or not in the 1st 1 was an accident lol but which was the.mistake? Sayin he did or didnt?
melody

Postby The Pixel Surgeon » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:36 pm

melody wrote:Im guessin the riddle of whether Albert eats sweets or not in the 1st 1 was an accident lol but which was the.mistake? Sayin he did or didnt?

If we're talking about The Offer, then, remember, that only became the first episode/the pilot for the series after Galton and Simpson were subsequently offered a series and thus the characters, proper, only really developed properly during the actual series...

Take The Offer out of the equation, and I think we have the answer :wink:
"The world is made up of ironies and people being manipulated"
The Pixel Surgeon

Postby melody » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:26 pm

Yea I know it was a one off. So in writing it as a 1 off, which did Galton and Simpson write? Does wilfrid get it wrong the 1st mention or second? I didn't refer to the other eps. Dont matter, just curious. Even in other eps Albert changed things he said just 2 annoy harold so sum of the mistakes are probly just the character lyin!
melody

Postby Archie » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:42 pm

I watched 'The Offer' this afternoon, No 25 is painted on the gate. In later episodes the address is mentioned as 24 Oil Drum Lane, In Divided We Stand Harolds half of the front door is marked 24A - in the second movie the address is again given as 24A :shock:

The house number was a long running continuity error, in My Old Mans a Tory the address is given as No 39 !!.

No 24 seems to be about right :o
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Return to The knobs are on my side