Play Steptoe and Son GamesContact Us about anything do to with Steptoe and Son

Fans of Rising Damp

An opportunity to discuss any aspect of the TV series

Moderators: Archie, Dirty Old Yank, PhilGlass

Fans of Rising Damp

Postby stephen68 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:09 pm

Given that Wifrid Brambell played the part of Rooksby in the play the Banana Box alongside both Don Warrington % France De La Tour, which of course changed to Rigsby and Rising Damp any views on how different it would have been with Wilfrid instead of Leonard Rossiter in the role?
Thick as a donkey's dongler
stephen68

Re: Fans of Rising Damp

Postby bob » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:08 am

Welcome Stephen

Good post and a good question.

In the same way that it is hard to imagine anyone other than Wilfrid playing Albert Steptoe, now days Rigsby and Rossiter seem inseparable. But of course acting is about being able to play completely different roles.

I can certainly see Wilfrid in the Rooksby / Rigsby role, but I don’t think he would have played it with the same amount of nervous energy that Rossiter brought to the role. I think Wilfrid would have played it slightly more dark. He would have got a lot more from the pathos of the situation and less from lusting after Miss Jones.

Only my view…..,what about others ?
bob
Site Admin

Postby steptoe and son scrap » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:55 am

Welcome Stephen :D
I Am Not A big Fan Of Rising Damp Never really got into it
Albert Steptoe: 'Ere, that's a What the Butler Saw machine!

Harold Steptoe: Ah, you recognize it! Takes you back to your lecherous youth, does it?

You're worse than a fly 'round a cow's arsehole.
steptoe and son scrap

Postby PhilGlass » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:22 am

Yes, very good question. I often wonder the same about Grandad from "Only Fools and Horses" as it was rumoured Wilfrid was originally considered for that part.

I have to echo Bob's sentiments on this one, perhaps Wilfrid did play it darker onstage and that's why he wasn't chosen. According to the Rising Damp website a TV executive went along to see him in the role in order to make the decision but absolutely loathed Wilfrid's interpretation. I can see him bringing a little more realism to it - Rigsby as quite a nasty, untrusting character and maybe his obsession with Miss Jones is a little creepier than it should be. I think Wilfrid enjoyed parts like that.

It's hard to say who would be 'better'.
"What do I want to go and see a film about Lesbians for?"
PhilGlass

Postby stephen68 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:50 pm

Thank you for the welcomes very much appreciated, and yes i totally agree with both your sentiments and im of the same opinion as i think the character of Rooksby in the play was a more seedy character rather than the more comedic Rigsby of the tv show and i think Wifreds looks while in no way critisising tend to lead to the more seedier role than a comedy role.
This is remebering that Steptoe and son was the first comedy programme to use straight actors rather than comedians in roles.
stephen68

Postby stephen68 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:26 pm

i have just found out that they had to change the name Rooksby due to legal action as there was a guest house owner in Scarborough by the name of Rooksby.
stephen68

Postby bob » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Fantastic - the things you learn on this site !!
bob
Site Admin

Postby Archie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:24 pm

I have the box set and movie...but I haven't watched an episode in ages :oops:
Eeh I wanna see the Nudes of 1964
Archie

Postby Dirty Old Yank » Tue May 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Bramble as Albert and Rossiter as Rigsby are so iconic, it's difficult to imagine Wilf in that role, though there's no doubt he did it justice.
I've only seen series 1 & 2, but the seance episode, "Things That Go Bump in the Night" is a favorite. The papers were still full of "The Exorcist", but a good scare is always good for a laugh :)
It's as if Leonard Rossiter had a pot full of espresso in him, bouncing off the walls...it's a wonder he didn't knock the set down lol.
"I'm a rag n' bone man, I'm not a poxy grave robber!"
Dirty Old Yank

Postby stephen68 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:51 am

Yeah haha, mind he always did come across as rather a hyper active person, apparently he was mad on the game of squash and his doctors had to tell him to stop playing as he was getting a bit old to keep playing it.
stephen68

Return to The knobs are on my side